• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Which DBM for stock currently inletted for BDL bottom metal?

MAG00

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
NE Texas
I am looking into purchasing a rifle from my local smith whom currently has all the parts. The stock he has is a HS Precision Thumbhole Sporter stock that is inletted for standard BDL bottom metal (hinged floor plate). I like to have a DBM though. FYI - this is for a Rem 700 SA 308.

The two units I have in mind are either the Surgeon or the Seekins. Reason for looking at these two is due to the location/design of the mag release.

Couple of questions:
- I was wondering how hard it would be to make the modifications to fit a DMB into this stock?
- Which of these units would you go with and why?
- Would it be about the same work to install either one?
- Do both units use the standard AI mags?

Edit: Another unit I just looked at is the HS Precision DBM. Looks like this would drop in pretty easily with maybe some very minor work. Anybody familiar with this unit? Thoughts on this unit?

Some may suggest the Badger DBM units. I currently have a rifle with this unit and would like to go with on that has the mag release not sticking down. Nothing wrong with the Badger DBM, just want something different.

Thanks for your help and information.

Last edited:
Check out Stiller's DBM. They say it will drop in BDL inlets.

Just took a look at this one. It may be a candidate mainly due to the lack of work to make it fit. However, it still has the release "tab" hanging down if you use a 5rd mag.

I did use the HS precision DBM, it did drop right in with no problems but only uses the HS Precision mags. Will not accept the AI mags.

I did use the HS precision DBM, it did drop right in with no problems but only uses the HS Precision mags. Will not accept the AI mags.

How do you like their DMB? I don't know that it only using their mags is too big of deal. I guess unless you loose it. However, I don't think HS Precision is going anywhere anytime soon.

It worked great for me, in a R5. I agree with you, it was not a big deal for me, just want to point it out incase you wanted to run the AI's.

The mags are not caliber specific, meaning you will have to adjust/bend the feed lips. Directions are provided, and it is pretty easy. It you were going to adjust a lot of them they do sell a tool.

PTG has just came out with a drop in BDL inlet DBM for short action 308 family, as
well as a long action version, which has been available for some time.

It uses AiAe mags, I have one coming to me on Friday.

I just received a CDI yesterday from midway for my current 700P .308 project. I went for the middle of the road in price as a CDI is between a PTG and Badger. Hopefully I will have some spare time this weekend and get it fitted.

Guess my OCD kicked in and I fitted the CDI tonight and put on a new trigger. I think the AI mags are a little loose for my taste but I will give it a chance

I had an HS precision on my 6.5-06. It worked fine but, I wanted to use the rifle for tactical matches, and the HS precision was not very practical for that application. I switched to CDI. I now use CDI bottom metal on three of my rifles: 260 rem, 22-250 Ackley, and my 6.5-06. CDI is a very nice company to deal with. If you send your stock to them they will inlet it for their bottom metal for $50.00. If you send your rifle and stock, they will inlet the stock and set the magazines up for your rifle. I am not sure what they charge for this, but my recollection is that it was just a little over 100.00 dollars. I have been extremely happy with their service and products.

If you already have one rifle using AI mags I'd stay with a dbm that uses the same. Look up a "tac latch" from *iirc* rd precision. It replaces the latch on your badger and is very similar to the surgeon. A number of shops can easily & quickly inlet your bdl stock- cdi gets a lot of recommendations as well as Chad Dixon@ Longrifles Inc. Chad posted just the other day in a similar thread that he keeps PTG Stealth units on the shelf and can turn the job around fast. Good luck & happy shooting

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk