• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which die lock rings?

Western Living

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2020
I need to replace all my die lock rings and want to do it well. It's not a lot, but I need about 15 lock rings.

What I've been using up until this point are Lee Lock Ring Eliminators for a press that has only the Breech Lock sockets (no bushing insert).

Many of my dies are Redding and I have the Redding lock rings that I kept before fitting the LRE's, but I discovered they suck. When I tighten the jam screw and then loosen it to adjust the die, it sticks. Since there appears to be a soft metal insert in there, I don't think the jam nut is damaging the die threads and since I'm not torquing it much I don't think I'm oblonging the lock ring. Instead, I think it's just the soft metal threads on the jam piece that are jamming even after the screw is loosened. Very lame design. It looks like RCBS, Wilson, and Whidden have a similarly lame design with a jam screw. Even Lee used a cross-bolt pinch design on their Lock Ring Eliminators. When they machined them out of steel, they were great. Now they're making them out of Aluminum that galls in their Aluminum press heads -- terrible mistake.

So as far as I can tell, Hornady, Forster, Lyman, and Sinclair make cross-bolt lock rings.

41ZypTuAQiL._AC_UL160_.jpg
71i-vDgGpxL._AC_UL160_.jpg
1607651777439.jpeg
p_749000651_1.jpg

Hornady's lock rings have flats on the sides to fit a standard open-end wrench.

Forster's cross bolt head appears to stick out -- a problem that Lee's rings also had and which I found very annoying on a tight progressive press head (solved by replacing all the bolts).

The Lyman cross-bolt lock ring looks good.

The Sinclair has a notch to relieve stress on the threads when the ring is pinched. Sinclair also makes an Aluminum lock-ring wrench to fit knurled circumference of their lock rings.

I can't afford to buy click-adjustable lock rings like the Whidden:

Universal_Click_Lockring2.jpg

and my most of my dies where it is useful already have micrometer adjustment features.

Since I was already using Lee's Breech Lock quick change system, I tried a bushing insert that would allow me to keep using them. I found that I could not move dies between the Breech-Lock only press and a press adapted to the Breech Lock with a bushing without changing the die adjustment. Especially since Lee changed to Aluminium LRE's, I've found the Breech Lock system frustrating because the LRE's gall and stick in the press head. They never did that with the steel LRE's. Lee's Breech Lock bushing insert is also stupidly Aluminum rather than steel. I also hate the stupid little plastic wrench.

So I decided to try Hornady's Lock N Load quick-change system. I bought a bushing and a 10-pack of the inserts. I notice they don't lock on the die. Am I missing something?

81WBUdzHvJL._AC_SX522_.jpg

First, this means I need lock rings and LNL inserts. At least the Lee system eliminated the lock rings and gave all my dies a consistent grip.

Second, the die position is secured only by how much it is torqued into the LNL bushing. That's lame for two reasons: one, I have to torque the die before I know the final position. If I set the position correctly, it will be off once I torque it. Two, because the torque of the die in the lock ring and the die in the LNL bushing are opposing one another the die cannot be adjusted simply by unpinching the lock ring. It must also be untorqued from the LNL bushing.

I read in another thread Cascade Hemi describing runout problems he attributed to the LNL inserts. I have not measured that.

I'm leaning toward the Sinclair lock rings, but I think any of the four I pictured above are good. Since I need about 15 of them at the moment, I thought I'd see if I could identify the best one before I bought a bunch.

What do you think?

If I’m buying one or two I will get the forsters but I have since just bought a big pack of the hornady ones and am pleased with them as well.
Basically anything but the suck ass Redding ring will be golden in comparison.

I like the Forster lock rings a lot. But I also have a Forster Coax so it doesn’t make much difference to me as long as they’re round. The Redding ones do suck ass tho for sure. They missed the Mark by a mile with that design

Hornady is a favorite but Sinclairs are just as good. They are a little thicker and somewhat more expensive. A trick to using the ones you have to let them turn freely once loosened off is to tap on the set screw with a plastic hammer or screw driver handle.

I'm making up my mind that the original, steel, Lee Lock Ring Eliminators are the best die rings. Why? Not only are they quick-change, but they're also the only die rings that allow the die to be adjusted when it is torqued in the press. Every other lock ring or quick change bushing has to be un-torqued before it can be un-pinched and adjusted, and differing amounts of torque from unprecise "finger-tight" to wrench-tight aren't consistent. Because the LEE LRE's only have one set of female threads, unlike the LNL's that have the female threads on the lock ring and an opposing set on the LNL insert, once the LRE's threads are unpinched, the die turns smoothly even with the bushing torqued in the press.

The reasons I'm getting rid of the LNL is because they require additional lock rings, and the die must be loose in the LNL insert or it cannot be adjusted.

Hornady should fix this so the LNL will pinch the die -- problem solved.

The reason I don't like the Hornady or other cross-bolt lock rings is because they also require the die to be unscrewed from the press to relieve the opposing torque so the die can be adjusted.

Either system means either finger-tight dies with a vague stop or backing the die out before adjusting the ring and then torquing it again.

With the Lee LRE, it has a positive stop on inserting it in the press and I can just unpinch the die and turn it smoothly. It's just a pity they started making them in Aluminum-on-Aluminum so they gall and turn to crap.

The only system that is better depends on the Bonanza Co-Ax press. With it, quick-change is also possible and a single set of female threads can be unpinched to allow smooth die adjustment.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
AREA 419 was supposed to have some out by now. I've been checking every day for the last two weeks, but nada.

Reactions: E-Tool
Thanks guys! I have been using black anodized aluminum rings with 6 flats and set screws. Sometimes the set screws get loose and I don't notice. I just bought some of the Hornady rings. Better locking design, still has flats for my torque wrench. Da' Hide strikes again :)

Reactions: lash
I run Hornady for dies going in the T7 or RS. I run Forster on any dies that are CoAx bound. The presses get used differently for their own intended purpose.

Ben using Sinclair lock rings about 20 years. I like a clamping lock ring vice a screw run into the die threads. I load both large quantity on a Dillon and match ammo on a single stage. With the single stage dies once the lock ring set on the die that's it since they are only used on one press.

For high volume .223 and .308 which I load on a Dillon, the dies basically stay in the tool head forever.

So I'm reviving this thread with the same question. What are the best lock rings? I'm so tired of these redding lock rings and the trouble they cause but I love my redding dies. Still Hornady or is there a better option these day????

I only run 4 of each caliber so, if there is something great that is expensive, it would likely still be an option if it's a lot better.

So I'm reviving this thread with the same question. What are the best lock rings? I'm so tired of these redding lock rings and the trouble they cause but I love my redding dies. Still Hornady or is there a better option these day????

I only run 4 of each caliber so, if there is something great that is expensive, it would likely still be an option if it's a lot better.
Thest best lock ring is any ring but reddings. Really doesnt matter, whats cheap and available.

Or knock the lead ball off the redding and they are functional again.

I just buy the Forster rings. Cheap enough and work like they're supposed to

I'll say again what I said two years ago, with a caveat. #1 Hornady rings. The Sinclair rings got stupid expensive over $10.00 ea or 3 @ $26.00. Hornady rings on Sinclair's site are $22.00 for 6. Easy to figure that one out.

The nice thing about the Hornady rings is they have a flat so you can snug it up with a wrench. I have an old Dillon multi wrench / tool that has a flat that fits the Hornady flat.

Thest best lock ring is any ring but reddings. Really doesnt matter, whats cheap and available.

Or knock the lead ball off the redding and they are functional again.
Yeah I'm done with those. Hard to see how they much such great dies with such a crappy lock ring that doesn't lock nor has any flats to lock them down....

Just get the Hornady lock rings and be done with it. The others are just posers.

Truly though, I am no Hornady shill as some could attest, but their lock rings are the best, imo.
This! The LNL Quick Change is excellent as well and worth the extra money of you are changing dies for several different calibers. I consider them a must have.

Reactions: lash
It is absolutely shameful how much easier and better the Hornady lock rings are than the redding ones that came with all my dies. Man I wish I'd done this a long time ago. Best $38 I've ever spent right there! If you anyone is still using redding lock rings, ditch them, and get the Hornady ones. A 6 pack is cheap. I had resorted to using lock tight on my freaking "lock rings" (that didn't lock).... These make reloading so much easier and faster! Thanks for the tips fellas