• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Which dies for AR platform

lh leggtowner

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Ok just completed my AR. It’s a 224 Valkyrie. I’m in the need of dies. I primarily use Redding S type dies. My question is do I need to crimp on the semi auto? Or do I get the approximate amount of neck tension with the the proper bushing? If tension is the right answer, how much tension? Or can I just buy the regular sizing die? Anyone shooting precision ARs out there reloading and have any information I would really appreciate it.

You might not even need to crimp but if you do the Lee factory crimp works great. Way better than the standard rcbs or hornady die built in crimp. If you like redding just get an additional Lee crimp die they are not expensive. I think the rcbs AR series dies come with a taper crimp die, they might be worth trying.

Reactions: lh leggtowner
Ok just completed my AR. It’s a 224 Valkyrie. I’m in the need of dies. I primarily use Redding S type dies. My question is do I need to crimp on the semi auto? Or do I get the approximate amount of neck tension with the the proper bushing? If tension is the right answer, how much tension? Or can I just buy the regular sizing die? Anyone shooting precision ARs out there reloading and have any information I would really appreciate it.
I like to use RCBS AR dies. They size the case a smidge smaller for auto loaders and keep the rifle running smoothly. As for crimp, I don't crimp any round that has neck tension of .002 or higher tension. I reload for 556 and 308 in AR platforms. Never crimped any of my 308 rounds with a SMK just make sure the neck tension is setting at .002 or .003 !

I like to use RCBS AR dies. They size the case a smidge smaller for auto loaders and keep the rifle running smoothly. As for crimp, I don't crimp any round that has neck tension of .002 or higher tension. I reload for 556 and 308 in AR platforms. Never crimped any of my 308 rounds with a SMK just make sure the neck tension is setting at .002 or .003 !
That makes plenty sense. I hope I’m not trying to over complicate this.

I have never owned a set of small base dies and have been reloading for AR rifles since I built my first one in 94.
Maybe I'm lucky but have never needed them and the suggestion on the Lee FCD is a good one if you want to crimp otherwise .002-.004" of neck tension is enough depending on caliber and intended use.

I don't crimp for my AR's or Garand (.308 Match) when loading. I've been using Redding Full Length dies and Redding Competition Seating dies. All of my loads are for Across the Course matches. Shooting in three National Match uppers and a 1968 Quantico built .308 Garand.

I don't crimp for my AR's or Garand (.308 Match) when loading. I've been using Redding Full Length dies and Redding Competition Seating dies. All of my loads are for Across the Course matches. Shooting in three National Match uppers and a 1968 Quantico built .308 Garand.
Great info to know. Thanks a bunch.
J

I have never owned a set of small base dies and have been reloading for AR rifles since I built my first one in 94.
Maybe I'm lucky but have never needed them and the suggestion on the Lee FCD is a good one if you want to crimp otherwise .002-.004" of neck tension is enough depending on caliber and intended use.
Yeah that makes sense. I think I have been over thinking it a bit.

Do not need crimp although others may differ in that opinion.

I am a Forster fan. Use their FL sizing dies and micrometer seating die. You could also go with a sinclair mandrel if you dont mind one more step. Mandrels can help with tension.

Johnny's reload bench did a great video about crimp or not and how much. I highly recommend watch it as he measured the rounds that weren't crimped during the bolt cycling and OAL did not change.

After watching the video it most def points in a no crimp direction. Which is a good thing. Not many times you can leave something off and get the same accuracy.

Quick question. I'm going to have to go to a small base sizing die and was wondering if a Redding .224 Val body die would do?

Quick question. I'm going to have to go to a small base sizing die and was wondering if a Redding .224 Val body die would do?
I haven't looked but I think the angle from the base to the body may be different. The Valkyrie may not size the 5.56/.223.

I haven't looked but I think the angle from the base to the body may be different. The Valkyrie may not size the 5.56/.223.
Roger that. Not what I was trying to ask though. Wondering if the .224 Valkyrie body die by Redding is considered a small base die?

Valkyrie is a 6.8 SPC parent case not 5.56/.223, what exactly are you looking to do or need?

In my limited experience, I chose the RCBS .223/5.56 "Small Base" dies. These resize the case to a minimum spec, ensuring they'll chamber in the widest assortment of guns. With 3 AR type guns.. 3 different chamber sizes, I didn't want any issues with not being able to grab any ammo and hit the range... 'sides, while feeding issues are irritating in competition, they can be even more frustrating when it's really important!

Roger that. Not what I was trying to ask though. Wondering if the .224 Valkyrie body die by Redding is considered a small base die?
Misunderstood the question and was to lazy to look up the Valk head size. I think they are considered "small base" related to most standard dies. For example, RCBS makes a 'small base die" for match chambers I would email them that question.

I haven't email Redding for a few years but they are generally reliable for answers. Speaking of which I need to email them for a sizing die stem.

Called Redding and it is not a small base body die. They don't make one for the Valkyrie yet.

Going with the RCBS small base sizing die.

Side note. I rebuilt the entire upper. Shimmer the barrel as it had some play with the upper.

The barrel is a JP Supermatch 22" with JP bolt, and the upper is a Noveske marked Vltor Mur.

Loaded up some 77gr Smks seated at OAL 2.165 and some 77gr TSMK OAL 2.20.

Well see how it goes.