• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which direction do I go? Barrel swap or new rifle?

snaptrigger

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Connersville, IN
I have an Armalite AR-10A4 in .243. I got it off a buddy of mine who barely shot it, I haven't shot it at all. I'm not deep into the rifle at all money wise.

I would rather have it chambered in .308, I will be shooting out to 700-800 yds at silhoutte sized targets.

My question is, would I be better off to swap the barrels out and free float it? Or, would I be better off to sell it and get a SASS style rifle?

I'm kind of a noob on this subject, what I would like to know is, which way do I need to go to benefit on the matter of "dollar spent to product obtained?" Thanks

Re: Which direction do I go? Barrel swap or new rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snaptrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an Armalite AR-10A4 in .243. I got it off a buddy of mine who barely shot it, I haven't shot it at all. I'm not deep into the rifle at all money wise.

I would rather have it chambered in .308, I will be shooting out to 700-800 yds at silhoutte sized targets.

My question is, would I be better off to swap the barrels out and free float it? Or, would I be better off to sell it and get a SASS style rifle?

I'm kind of a noob on this subject, what I would like to know is, which way do I need to go to benefit on the matter of "dollar spent to product obtained?" Thanks</div></div>

I would say just get a new barrel. Unless of course your wanting to keep a .243 AR-10 then get a new upper. Hell you might as well shoot the .243 while you got it. It's a great long range round.

Personnally I would shoot it in .243 but if you are stuck on a 308 then go with a new barrel.

The .243 will have ballistics then a .308. If I was you I would shoot it until the barrel was burnt out and then decide.

Mount a new barrel on a new upper. Then you can have both and switch easily at will. Cheaper than a new gun, or 'close enough', considering you'll probably take a hit trying to sell the used gun.

re-barrel is an easy job on them, you can get good ones for 4 to 6 hundred, full floating hand guards between 80 and 250, depending of what you want. maybe you can offer the barrel up for a trade or sale and keep cost down even more.

Not a big job, a few tools that will cost less than an hour at a gun shop labour. 75 bucks or so. Its about like changing a barrel.

HMMM....243 and a shot out barrell. Is there a relation? I'd go .308. Your barrell will last way longer. Hell, I look forward to the day I shoot out my SASS barrell and can replace it with a Krieger.

The barrel isn't shot out by any means, it doens't have 50 rds through it. I am just more familiar with the .308 as fas as ballistics are concerned. That's the only reason I was considering the switch, plus the availability of ammo and reloading data and such.

I would just shoot it the way it is currently. Dies are reasonable and the 243 will do the job out that far. If it does not preform as you want then it is an easy fix to get a new tube and a JP handguard to free float it.