• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Fix-it-stick kit?

Just Chuck

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Aug 16, 2018
    Colorado
    I'm getting a Fix-it-stick kit but not sure what the big difference is between these two.... besides $60. The top one is $100 - the other $160. These are both from Cabelas. Any advice?

1640702320043.png

1640702364064.png

Reactions: 338dude
    The top is an all in one limiter and the bottom has different limiters for specific torque settings. All depends on what you want and need. Both work well.

I should have stated this from the top, my intent is to make them part of my range pack, so smaller = better; lighter = better.

Thanks for the input.

Reactions: 338dude
    I use both types - the all-in-one limiter for my range tool kit, and the individual limiters for my workbench. Both work fine, but my preference would be to use the individual limiters whenever possible since they are basically foolproof (assuming you don't grab the wrong one).

Don't buy from Cabellas! Buy from a Hide Supporter, and you'll get a better deal!!!
    I've had a Cabelas' CC for 25 + years (starting when run by the brothers) and made use of a lot of point$, and these will bought on point$, so not likely to change. To each their own.

I have both. The bottom one is the better kit and not much difference in size to matter. I’m addition to the ones in the bottom kit. I added a 20ich/lb and a 45 inch/lb. the top one, as you torque it, it turns. So unless you have a 360 degree view, you either can’t see the number you torque to or you have to reposition it.

I too carry the bottom on on my range bag. It’s small and not very heavy.

And, I believe you can have a custom torque value limiter made if they dont offer one that you need as standard offering, but I have not found this to be needed in my use.

I far prefer the torque limiter over the all in one, “ did I hit the my mark accurately” type.

Not a pro tool that @308pirate would ever let into his manf facility, but they are just fine for my needs w rifles.

I went the top All In One Kit, I liked it because no swapping back and forth between limiters. Put together 3 full rifle systems in one afternoon from barreled actions thru mounting of scopes and didn't have to swap out limiters.
    The having to position yourself to line up for the right torque value is a slight PIA but not real bad. Major upgrade from the Fat Wrench.

Reactions: Average guy
    i have the multi and a couple fixed ones that i use the most.
    the 62lb one came with my rifle and stays in the field kit with other tools.

fixitstickskitandopkitCapture.JPG

Reactions: cornhusker86
    I have never found any "kit" that has everything I need. I've ended up buying a lot of different things. Just for my bench.

When I shot a particular weapon I carry the tools I need for that particular weapon in a zip lock bag, marked for that weapon.

Make you own ends up being a lot cheaper in the long run. Most of my stuff, bits, etc comes from Klein. They make quality stuff. I have a stubby screwdriver that lives in my bag and fits all the bits.

Here's links to Klein stuff I use to make my kits. I don't carry all this stuff all the time though. Only the ones I need at the time. I also keep small Bondhus hex wrench sets in the bag with heads specific to each to the rifle.

Stubby

Bits 1

Btis 2

Longer screwdriver with "bits 1" above included:

From Amazon

Last edited:
    I run the top kit. Only add on is an extended bit for action screws. Best setup I have.

Reactions: Just Chuck
    +1 for the unique limiters. The all in one has a ton of stack height, which i'm not a fan of for this application.

For rail/bases, rings tops, and main action screws...stuff you will deal with on the regular... limiters are a better mouse trap.

One additional thought, consider to buy a paint marker. Mark your high use bolts.

Limiters are so easy to use people sometimes mess with things that dont need touched.

Paint marks give you confidence nothing has moved.

I bought the lower kit in your image from Mile High when it came with the 4" extension. Works great for removing the action screws on a KRG Bravo

I have the extensions as well. Pretty much a must have for action screws.

Yeah, the rear action screw on my chassis is pretty deep and I could see an extension would be essential.

I got the variable limiter, it’s smaller and cheaper and I can use whatever settings I want and so long as you’re not completely illiterate you shouldn’t have an issue hitting your desired setting.

I’ll end up getting the top kit. More versatile for my use. Torques will be pretty close and won’t damage. Just go slow when tightening.
    So whoever the hide supporter is, reach out to me. Interested in the top kit. And almost bought on eBay the other night and stopped because I don’t believe I need the bits. Just the limiter and T handle. And I’m not sure what the big socket adapter is used for.

Last edited:
    Perhaps the most important thing to understand is that the top one is NOT a limiter. It's just a torque wrench where you turn it until the number you want is lined up. A limited will "give" and click when you reach the marked torque number and not go any tighter. It will just give and turn, give and turn, give and turn..

So which one do you need? THe limiters are more expensive and you will need one for each torque you use. The more you do the same task or install the same thing over and over again, the more useful this becomes. If you're just installing one-off pieces of gear, a scope here, a RDS there, etc, then the all in one torque type is a lot more economical.

Also realize you're not limited to the small size tools the torque devices come with. Yuo can use them in other tool sets where they become very useful. Personally I have the top one in my range bag, I doubt I'll be fixing more than one of anything while at the range. But I have a complete set of limiters on my work bench at home I use with larger extensions and handles because I do a lot of work on guns.

I'm getting a Fix-it-stick kit but not sure what the big difference is between these two.... besides $60. The top one is $100 - the other $160. These are both from Cabelas. Any advice?

View attachment 7770811

View attachment 7770812
    The All-In-One accuracy is +/-10%.. plus any reading error by user, torque range 15-65 in-lb. The fixed limiters are +/-6% with no reading error, cover only specific torque values. I have both, very satisfied with both. Barrett ships Fix-It-Sticks with the 140/65/45/25/15 in-lb fixed limiters with their MRAD MK22 for SOCOM. NOTE: Which ever you select....NEVER....NEVER....NEVER....did I mention NEVER.... loosen fasteners with a torque tool of any design. They are not wrenching tools, they are torque applicators.

I like the Fix-It-Sticks for portability in the field. However, I prefer a good quality, CALIBRATED real torque wrench at home, at the lodge, in the shop. Much better torque accuracy and reliability. F-I-Ts are like hand grenades, when one just really can't wait for precision.

Last edited:
    I bought the lower kit in your image from Mile High when it came with the 4" extension. Works great for removing the action screws on a KRG Bravo

Army First, you might want to re-think using a torque application tool as a wrench to loosen fasteners.......a NO NO.

The extension is a must have for action screws.

I believe I had read that the variable limiter was not accurate when compared to known torque values whereas the single units were very accurate.

Edit: Didn't see the above post about accuracy.

Not a must for every action screw. I don’t need them in my Manners stocks. Some chassis need them. Just don’t want people thinking they are needed for any rifle.

I foolishly got “the works” and ended up with a lot of stuff I will never use (I.e 1911 bushing wrench, brush, scraper, etc). I have dedicated tools that do better. I feel like I am slowly buying almost everything else on their website one by one. Lol

• Haha
    Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    Army First, you might want to re-think using a torque application tool as a wrench to loosen fasteners.......a NO NO.

T handle and extension for removal, T handle and torque limiter with extension for install.

KRG Torque.JPG

The All-In-One accuracy is +/-10%.. plus any reading error by user, torque range 15-65 in-lb. The fixed limiters are +/-6% with no reading error, cover only specific torque values. I have both, very satisfied with both. Barrett ships Fix-It-Sticks with the 140/65/45/25/15 in-lb fixed limiters with their MRAD MK22 for SOCOM. NOTE: Which ever you select....NEVER....NEVER....NEVER....did I mention NEVER.... loosen fasteners with a torque tool of any design. They are not wrenching tools, they are torque applicators.
    @StLPro2A Glad you posted that - that is something I would have done.

I saw the F Class John video yesterday -he did a good job of helping to sort that out too.

I did order the kit with the individual limiters and it should be here tomorrow. Then run to Mile High to get an extension (I'm only five miles away and that's way too close, :LOL: )

• Haha
    Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    I now know this, but at one time did not. What is the consequence of using a torque tool for loosening?

Don't buy from Cabellas! Buy from a Hide Supporter, and you'll get a better deal!!!
    Which hide supporters sell these? I'm looking to get a set in the near future.

A little morning levity for everyone:
    We received our Fix it Sticks from @Precision Shooters , and everything is great. However, on quickbooks, it looks as though I've been spending money at "Hooters," rather than "Precision Shooters."
    I'm not saying that would never happen, but it didn't happen this time. :LOL:

• Haha
    Reactions: Disturbingiraq
    A little morning levity for everyone:
    We received our Fix it Sticks from @Precision Shooters , and everything is great. However, on quickbooks, it looks as though I've been spending money at "Hooters," rather than "Precision Shooters."
    I'm not saying that would never happen, but it didn't happen this time. :LOL:
    Oh yeah we did that intentionally, most of our clientele would rather be caught by their wives spending $$ at Hooters than on more gun goodies. You're welcome.

@StLPro2A Glad you posted that - that is something I would have done.

I saw the F Class John video yesterday -he did a good job of helping to sort that out too.

I did order the kit with the individual limiters and it should be here tomorrow. Then run to Mile High to get an extension (I'm only five miles away and that's way too close, :LOL: )

just read the terms in the email.....understood and deleting

Last edited:
    I just ended up getting the WORKS and i am doubting my decision now mayb should have just got the ALL iN ONE ? any advice would b great seems the WORKS has alot of nothing?just looking to work on my rig and scope thats it.I already have a borka just wanted to c what these fix it sticks were all about?

I foolishly got “the works” and ended up with a lot of stuff I will never use (I.e 1911 bushing wrench, brush, scraper, etc). I have dedicated tools that do better. I feel like I am slowly buying almost everything else on their website one by one. Lol
    I did the same thing wondering if i should send it back?