• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Free Float Tube Length?

AR-10 Shooter

Minuteman
Dec 1, 2004
Virginia
Built a M4orgery several years ago, 16" barrel.

I would like to add a free float tube. How do you determine the correct length? Also, which brand/model do you recommend? I only need one rail (under).

Thanks much,
CT

Re: Which Free Float Tube Length?

Length is determined by gas system length or if you have a low profile block the hand guards could clear.

Carbine Gas System with Standard Gas Block...Carbine FF Handguards
Carbine Gas System with Low Profile Gas Block...any length FF Handguards

I'd recommend getting a low profile gas block and the longest free floating tube available...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd recommend getting a low profile gas block and the longest free floating tube available...</div></div>

I like this configuration. KAC makes the ones I use. With their rail covers, it feels a lot like a regular round handguard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd recommend getting a low profile gas block and the longest free floating tube available... </div></div>

I agree 100%

I'm a big fan of the 15" tubes/rails available through TROY as well as the YHM Todd Jarrett 15" hand guard.

Both are top notch, but you'll need the low profile gas block in order to have the rail go past it.

Wilson Combat Trim model on a 16"
Aaron-SRS-left-side.jpg

I personally like to have 5" or less barrel showing past the handguard. I use an 11" on my 16", and would use a 13" on an 18", 15" on a 20". Just my preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd recommend getting a low profile gas block and the longest free floating tube available... </div></div>

+1

I run a 15" Troy VTAC on q 16" barrel and 2 15" MI SS2s on 18" barrels. Fully configurable while remaining small emough to comfortably hold.

Edit: for clarity

12" DD MRF. I have it on an Addax, and a DD upper. Gives you the option to put rails anywhere, and comes with 3 shorties on the front, for bi-pod, and flashlight on either sides. Super light, and DD are very good rails.

My 16" barrels I tend to like the 11" free float tubes, with a low profile gas block. Works good for me.

If you've got a low profile gas block, get a rifle length, although the XL models from JP, Nordic, Lancer, Troy, et. al. will work as well.

I'm in the longer is better crowd.

Rich