• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which ghillie's are decent and which are junk

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
looking for a decent one ( not the best ) iam not a pro at all this just looking for somthing to "hide" me while hunting and hold up well

any suggestions ?

Re: which ghillie's are decent and which are junk

Cool stuff! Although, some of the pictures were not too good. I couldn't even see the suit!
wink.gif

I have been tossing around the same subject black_ump. I was very dissapointed with my store bought ghillie and realized many of its issues i.e. too thin, wrong colors, ect. I am tossing around the two ideas of hacking it up and attaching the netting base to a some BDU's and adding the rest of the material to the back, or purchasing a well built custom ghillie from either Shay or Sierra Whiskey

a lot will depend on how much time/money you want to invest. a well built custom suit can cost from 200-500+ dollars depending on options (eg multicam) and compexity. There are multiple quality makers here on the hide that fulfil that role. imho stay away from large scale vendors suits (WAY to much jute, and overly generic color patters. you can save money and build your own from scratch or a kit but it does take a significant amount of time and sewing proficiency depending how crazh you get with the options.

I think Im gonna stray away from Shay since he's only 15 and only has had about a couple years of experience

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Im gonna stray away from Shay since he's only 15 and only has had about a couple years of experience </div></div>
Yeah. Thats okay. I know Im a kid, and I expected this to happen.

Good luck with your suit
Shay

Well you being a kid thats great with me. More power to you! But it is just experience that makes the difference.

I can see the reason it that.

Sierra Whiskey here on Hide. Best ones going.

thanks for the heads up, i dont really have time to build my own the vendor suits are in my price range but not sure on their duribility

SW is former Marine SS. He builds em right, at the right price.

I have seen some of Sierra Whiskey's work. I won a veil he donated to the Oregon Sniper Challenge last year.

It looked great. I gave it away because I already have a Ghillie I made, but otherwise it's good to go.

Don't buy anything from China or out of a sporting goods catalog. They are crap.

I've built my own, and also have one of SW's. Wouldn't hesitate to get another of his suits. Great suit. Blends in very well, built very well. Would like to get one of his rifle wraps as well at some point.

Anyone here on the hide build suits out of synthetic that would blend worth a crap?I would love to have a ghille for coyotes but jute makes me break out and swell up like a tick.....

thanks for the heads up guys iam gonna have to save or build my own

check out www.ghilliesextreme.com . its ran and owned by a usmc weapons and tactics instructor. i have 3 from him so far, one burlap style, one more leafy, and one snow.

(i apoligize ahead of time for this being my first post... just the first thread i saw i could contribute to)

bought mine from a guy off Ebay, he is a retired army guy and makes them "Army" style. They are nicely done. Cost me around $170 shipped. You can pick your BDU colors as well as burlap colors to match your AO.

You need to make your own, that way you will match it better to the region you'll be using it in and you will learn allot while doing it. Materials are easy to find/purchase and there are numerous "tutorials" in books and online.