• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which hard gun case?

Cullenwruth

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
Looking for a hard gun case that will hold GAP ar10, extra mags, and pistol. Price range is around 200. What's my best options?

Re: Which hard gun case?

I like the SKB double rifle case, that way I am not tempted to cut foam. If you wait, and look around, they are available in the $150 range.

The Pelican 1750 is nice. Amazon has them for ~$200 delivered. Using a battery charger powering a "hot wire", you can do a damn fine job cutting the foam to fit.

Midway has the Pelican 1750 on sale for $179.

They will also have the similar sized Pelican/ Storm case for $149 during their Black Friday sale ( I think it is Sat or Sun, not sure!?)

I have the 1750 and have been snowed on, rained on and been in a gnarly dust storm, all I had to do was slip the rifle into the case and latch it and it sat outside during these storms with no dust or water entering the case. The only semi issue I had was the gasket froze and pulled out once, which was understandable considering how cold it got after a freezing rain.
As to the foam, I have pulled mine out since listening to other hide members. With the foam removed I can put four rifles in soft cases in my 1750.

As others have already stated, you can't go wrong with anything from Pelican. The 1750 will suit your needs well.

Agree with the above. The 1750 is the way to go. I typically use it in combination with a Voodoo Tactical soft case.

Thanks for the input guys. Seems like an easy choice.

Also What is the problem with foam?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cullenwruth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input guys. Seems like an easy choice.

Also What is the problem with foam? </div></div>

Nothing is wrong with the foam, but you can store more without it.

You can't get better cases than a pelican. I am a camera assistant for films and I store hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment in pelican cases every day and have never had one fail in a way that the contents were harmed. I had a latch break once in very cold weather but pelican made it right.

I use Pelican for tons of marine and shooting stuff without a single problem. I sold a new in box Starlight rifle case because it just did not like to be closed easily. I also use some old SKB cases. For the price these days Pelicans are hard to beat.

Just got my pelican 1750 to day. it looks really rugged an feels rugged.got my case,got my nightforce last weak got my American rifle scope rings two weeks ago waiting for my seekins bases. And last i am waiting for my rifle to get started and finished been ten months so far can wait.

anyone just use one pelican and change out the foam? I don't need two cases just one for air travel.

I would go for Pelican instead of Storm. Storm is now part of Pelican, but a a lower grade in a sense; softer plastics. Pelican cases are "Watertight, crushproof and dustproof." Storm cases are only "waterproof." Yeah Storm is good, but Pelican is better.

You can't go wrong with a Pelican. We use them all the time at work to ship equipment and have never had a problem. I am not a fan of the pick N pluck foam though. Over time sections break free and fall out. I prefer the standard foam inserts. Then using an electric turkey carving knife, cut out the the sections. Just make sure you leave at least 1-2 in of foam between different cut outs or else your foam may break after time.
Good Luck!

mrs Scotch_egg bought me a peli and foam for Christmas. I would never consider any other make and we paid British pricing which is double US!