• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Harris bipod and where to buy?

Kevin1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Allen, TX, USA
I have never used a bipod and I’m a little confused between all the different models.
I want to use it to shoot from bench and prone.
Which one should I get? The 6-9" or the 9-13”?
Do I need the swivel model?
I just did a google search and saw this one for $58.48
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Harris-Engineering-1A2%2dLM-Bipod-9%2d13".html?google=1

But I’m wondering if I shouldn’t get this one.
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Harris-Engineering-S%2dBR-Series-S-Bipod%2d--6%2d9".html

Thanks a lot for your help,
Kevin

Re: Which Harris bipod and where to buy?

6-9 BRM-S. (6"-9" Notched legs with swivel.)

I've tried the 9-13 and non-swivel but only kept this one. My next will be the LaRue worked over one with QD lever. Looks expensive at first but after a pod-loc and QD it looks worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-9 BRM-S. (6"-9" Notched legs with swivel.)
</div></div>

I second this. The swivel is annoying sometimes, though, so don't get it unless you think you'll need it. the notched legs are awesome, though.

Height is going to depend on how and where you shoot. I have both 6-9 and 9-13. Most of the time it's the 6-9 but if I'm shooting targets up on a hillside I just can't get low enough for a 6-9 to work without craining my neck so the 9-13 is more comfortable.

Do it right the first time and get the Atlas.

Just follow Austan's link.

I'll just add my 2 cents. After a few years of different builds and shooting at different ranges/positions I would say this... Forget the bi-pod. I know it looks totally cool and is another piece of kit to add but I have found that part of the fun lays in the challenge of being able to adapt to different shooting positions with a minimum of supporting gear. Plus it adds a significant amount of weight to the forend of the rifle for unsupported shooting.

For me 90% of the time my forend is resting on my backpack with all my ammo/cleaning supplies/range tools etc.

But if you really want a bi-pod, go Atlas. If you insist on Harris though get the 6 - 9 notched leg.

The height of the bipod will also depend on the type and style of the stock you are using. If the legs are too long, you find yourself using too much stuff to raise the buttstock to a useful level. If they are too short, you find the opposite. Something to consider. I like to raise the buttstock to where I can place my hand under the buttstock (or a sand sock) and make minute adjustments that way. Then measure from the surface to the sling swivel to determine which height works best. Different stocks need different heights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... Forget the bi-pod. </div></div>

Interesting thought. I've found that for hunting it's often useless (this is walking around hunting vs. sitting in a blind, I'll bet they're useful in a blind). However, I really like a bipod for shooting varmints. I'm going to accept your advice and toss the bipod for hunting: heavy, clunky and gets hung up on brush. Thanks.

IMHO if you're going to get one I'd go for the swivel version with a lock. If you're in the field its a pain to level the scope on uneven ground without a swivel.

If you will not be using this in the field on uneven ground then the leg notches will be fine. But if you plan on shooting anywhere else besides the range I recommend the smooth legs so you can adjust them accordingly, also I'd opt for the swivel.

For best price go to http://www.botachtactical.com/harrisbipods1.html their prices beat every website listed here and they have free shipping.

6-9, notchet with swivel -> highly recommend to get it from triad tactical.

also: do _not_ forget to buy a pod-loc with it right away. really nice and tons better than that screw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-9 BRM-S. (6"-9" Notched legs with swivel.)

I've tried the 9-13 and non-swivel but only kept this one. <span style="font-weight: bold"> My next will be the LaRue worked over one with QD lever.</span> Looks expensive at first but after a pod-loc and QD it looks worth it. </div></div>

I have two of those, love them. I spoke with Larue today and for about $80 they will let you send them your current bipod and they will put the QD on it. I asked them if they sold just the QD and they don't, you have to send yours in.

Thank you for referrals people. You might be interested in this:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pe4iZHIx3So&feature=youtube_gdata_player"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pe4iZHIx3So&feature=youtube_gdata_player" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Thanks for all your responses.
I only shoot from bench and prone and only in a range.
So we all agree that I need to go with the 6-9 height.
The youtube video was very helpful…notched leg it is….
My only remaining question is if I need the swivel model. Considering that I only shoot in a range and that the notched legs are quickly adjustable, do I really need the swivel?

Get the notched swivel and a Podlock and you'll be all set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubergeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-9 BRM-S. (6"-9" Notched legs with swivel.)

I've tried the 9-13 and non-swivel but only kept this one. <span style="font-weight: bold"> My next will be the LaRue worked over one with QD lever.</span> Looks expensive at first but after a pod-loc and QD it looks worth it. </div></div>

I have two of those, love them. I spoke with Larue today and for about $80 they will let you send them your current bipod and they will put the QD on it. I asked them if they sold just the QD and they don't, you have to send yours in. </div></div>

I don't know who you talked to but I ordered the quick disconnect mount to go on my current bipod and it shipped out yesterday. There are reviews for it on their website that say it is easy to attach. So you could save yourself the freight of sending it to them and then freight to get it back to you by doing it yourself. It is listed under the mount section and then bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the notched swivel and a Podlock and you'll be all set. </div></div>

If I get the swivel and a pod lock (which seems to be absolutely needed), it will double the price compared to a non swivel model. I'm just wondering if I shouldn't just get the notched non swivel model. I mean will I even use the Swivel in a range?

notched is a must-have, as triad shows in his video. you don't to have your rifle+scope fall over because a screw got loose ...

on swivel+podlock - i would never assume that i a) only shoot at ranges and b) all ranges are perfectly flat ... if i may borrow something from steve/triad: Buy Once, Cry Once.

Swivel feature is a must. After you get use to it, you will be in the DUHH club.

Then you can start to crave an Atlas; pans and swivels, not as bulky, lighter and more features. Cost more than a Harris, but most find its money well spent.

Ok,
I'm sold on the swivel model. I'm getting the BRMS model.

Thanks all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> from a bench.. the 6x9... for field use, 9x13 Notched legs with swivel</div></div>

This is exactly right. Dont forget the KMW pod-loc...yes it is worth it. Dont get the swivel version unless you plan on getting the pod loc.

I placed an order for the BRMS model. I didn’t get the pod lock at the same time for two reasons:
1.I would rather keep the cost under $100 so my wife doesn’t notice it
grin.gif

2.The installation didn’t look as easy as what I was expecting.
I’ll probably order this podlock from Midway (with some other stuff for under $100)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/280932/...led-zinc-handle

This is a nice video I found on Harris bipod and the midway podlock installation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjs5lwKyLwU

You made the right choice going with the notched swivel. The Podlock is very easy to install when (not if) you get it.
smile.gif

You can get the brms on eBay for 85 shipped. Get that, pod lock, and speedy knob and you will be all set for less than half price of the atlas.

I ordered it from Botach.com for $86.95 (free shipping).
I was a little concerned regarding the customer service and the fact they might not have it in stock and could ship it very late. But I was pleasantly surprised when I got a notification today with a tracking number.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Lately</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do it right the first time and get the Atlas.

Just follow Austan's link. </div></div>

Let me put it this way.....I really hesitated between a Walmart Winchester bipode at $39 and Harris.
I followed the "buy once cry once" and went with Harris. Then I followed "Buy once cry(a little more) once" and went with the swivel model.

Atlas?? Naaaa....
crazy.gif

the BRMS is a 6x9?... trust me.. if u ever take it in the grass or on a hill you will regret that height...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the BRMS is a 6x9?... trust me.. if u ever take it in the grass or on a hill you will regret that height... </div></div>

Yes, but for nearly every other occasion, you would regret the 9-13. Usually those 4 extra inches aren't going to make much difference if there is grass. I went from a 9-13 to a 6-9 and don't regret it one bit. The last shoot I went to, one guy really had trouble getting in a good position with his 9-13 because the shooting deck was slightly inclined.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok,
I'm sold on the swivel model. I'm getting the BRMS model.

Thanks all. </div></div>

As everyone else has said, the BRM S 6-9" is IMO all around the perfect bipod. It will be too short in some circumstances, but perfect in many.

Don't forget the pod-lock, you'll end up buying it later anyways. Make sure you get the one by KMW, not a cheaper knock-off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered it from Botach.com for $86.95 (free shipping).
I was a little concerned regarding the customer service and the fact they might not have it in stock and could ship it very late. But I was pleasantly surprised when I got a notification today with a tracking number.
</div></div>

And received it today.... That was way faster than what I was expecting.

Don't try to go cheap. Harris or Atlas. No substitutes. Anything you spend on a Caldwell or other knock off is money pissed away.

PodLocks can cost $30 (last time I looked). You can get the same thing HERE for $8.50. I've got one on all my bipods.

Like all these guys say it depends on how and where you are shooting.. You will probably end up with a few different ones, or even not using one. I try and buy everything from SWFA. They are good people to deal with.. I find the cheapest price I can online and then SWFA will beat the price by 10%.. and they have always been fast to ship. +1 on a pod lock

Still can't handle those two springs sticking out on each side. Went with a VersaPod 52. The 9-13" works better for me when shooting prone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ecg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still can't handle those two springs sticking out on each side. Went with a VersaPod 52. The 9-13" works better for me when shooting prone.

</div></div>

Never had heard of Versa before. I did a quick search and found many related topics (like Versa vs Harris). I'm learning everyday....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ecg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still can't handle those two springs sticking out on each side. Went with a VersaPod 52. The 9-13" works better for me when shooting prone.

</div></div>

Never had heard of Versa before. I did a quick search and found many related topics (like Versa vs Harris). I'm learning everyday....
</div></div>

What I learned was that earlier Versa Pods had quality issues and that the newer ones were decent. Acceptance has been slow. They have built in quick disconnect and big knobs to lock things down.

I used the bipod a couple of times from the bench and love it:
- The 9-13 would have been too high. I’m glad I got the 6-9
- The swivel function is definitely useful even from the bench.
- I’m also glad I god the notched legs (I don’t even know why Harris is selling the other model)
- I didn’t think it would be possible with a 308, but I’m even able to spot my shots at 500 yards and keep the scope on the target (the big FOV of the SS10X42 and the weight of the B&C A2 stock do help a lot)

But somehow, I’m not missing the bipodlock for now (which I don’t have). After every shot I do have to adjust the canting of the rifle a bit, but it only takes me a couple of seconds.

+1 for TriadTactical. Ordered two harris bipods and some other gear late last week and got a tracking number the next day. Buddies also say that Steve is great guy to deal with.

I recently bought a Harris 25C (swivel), that goes from 13-27". It should be great getting above the sage & field grass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PodLocks can cost $30 (last time I looked). You can get the same thing HERE for $8.50. I've got one on all my bipods. </div></div>

There was a guy in the range selling and installing podlocks for $15. The ring is stainless and I can read USA inside the plastic. It looks like your model. I got one and so far I'm pretty happy with it. A lot of guys bough from him. It's a good business idea.