• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which Knife?

swage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Westlake, OH
I wanted to purchase a knife to throw in my pack. I'm torn between and Esee 4 and a Falkniven F1. There's pro's and con's of each. I really like the green micarta handled Esee with the black blade, but the Falkniven seems to have a superior blade.

What are you guys carrying in your kit?

Re: Which Knife?

As opposed to going for looks.. I'd opt for the one that is going to accoplish whatever task you plan to use it for better. Can you expound on what your "pack" is and used for? Both are tough, one will be more corrosion resistant (F1).. one will have easier edge maintenance (EESE). One is a bigger blade also.. so how big a blade do you need?

For camping Dozier KS-7 'Wilderness'. For just having with me at the range etc Kershaw folder (can't remember name).

The Dozier is a tank, made of D2, sharp and tough as anything. Not too heavy but enough heft to chop through anything you'd need chopping through. It's also maneuverable for the little task - feathering, point work and what not. Best knife I've ever had and all for under $250.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For camping Dozier KS-7 'Wilderness'. For just having with me at the range etc Kershaw folder (can't remember name).

The Dozier is a tank, made of D2, sharp and tough as anything. Not too heavy but enough heft to chop through anything you'd need chopping through. It's also maneuverable for the little task - feathering, point work and what not. Best knife I've ever had and all for under $250. </div></div>

X2 on this suggestion. Dont own one, but a great knife.

The discontinued RAT with the D2 blades, not the current 1095 blades. Dont know how large of blade you really want, but the RAT-5 is excellent or the RAT-7 is much larger. Micarta handles, Black blades, two choices of plain bland or partial serration if needed.

F1 all the way. It is a worry free knife. Laminated stainless steel and rubberized (Thermorun) handle.

In my opinion VG10 is a much better steel than D2, A2, or 1095 Carbon. I have an Izulu that's already spotting just from playing around. There is a reason they coat blades made with that steal.

My F1 is my go to knife.

I wish this was my collection...
F1Collection2.jpg

NO better combat/survival knife exists that is better than the Tom Brown Tracker. Pricey yes but for an outdoorsman its a great investment and I have no regreted it once. Best knife made period.

now were talking
smile.gif
. i am a huge knife junky. if you want to see just pure carninal destruction of a knife. check this out. he does shit most people will never do with there knives (and really shouldn't lol). this is just to show you want certain knives can stand up to as far as abuse goes

http://knifetests.com/

as far as recommendations for a great knife for you bag. anything from busse (the magical infi steel is amazing stuff) esee knives are top notch for 1095 and come with a amazing warranty. scrap yard knives and swamp rat knives are busse kin and also have amazing warranties. strider fixed blades are great also. bark river makes a great knife also.

for specific models in the ranger your looking at

busse sar 4 or sar5 or sarsquatch or anything else from here
esee 6,5,4, or 3 lol
bark river bravo 1 or bark river gunny
scrap yard scrapper 6 or anything from them
swamp rat rodent solution or ratmandeux or any other knife from them lol
bill seigle sar4
strider db-l w/ double gunner grips
anything from jeremy horton
a hide fighter

the list can go on and on but the above are some of the toughest

Really starts to depend on what the uses are intended. 'Throw in a pack' does not really narrow things down.

Busse, Swamp Rat, Becker- Are sharpened pry bars. I mean that with the utmost respect. Weight and size should be a factor. Throw in your pack versus strap to your pack kinda thing. I have a few Becker's of varying size. They are definitely cool to look at. Really fun to beat the pulp out of wood and various other objects. In the end I bring my F1 everywhere because it's light and capable of handling more tasks comfortably.

I find Fallkniven, Bark River, Rat/ESEE, offer the best bushcraft types. Enzo's are pretty popular too.

The knives you asked about are fine knives. Many many people own them. Are they the best out there? They are not the most expensive. Since you picked out these two, both have excellent blades. Do not cost an arm and a leg and have a following.

The ESEE has a coated blade and 1095 steel, the F1 is stainless.
Decide if you can live with or without stainless. Non-stainless has worked for hundreds of years.

I have the 6". It serves me well.

I have an Esee izula2 and 5, its a good combo, have gutted, cleaned then cut and wrapped deer/lamb with both. The 5 will take a beating and keep going. Its heavy, but well balanced and useful.

ESEE 4 perfect utility tool and the best warranty going in a field knife and it doesn't look Tacticool

#2 would be a BarkRiver thats next on my list

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">C.Handley Custom Carry.

Next will be a Fuhrman or another Handley model </div></div>

Coty Handley makes a wicked knife. I beat on mine regularly.

IMG_2680.jpg

Murray Carter also makes lovely customs.

100_6632.jpg

Both of these are mine.

I also have a Strider "Sniper" in my collection that I have not photographed. However that is one of two and I will probably never put it to field use.

I opted for the Esee. Although I'm sure there's a Falkniven F1 in my future. My birthday and Christmas are right around the corner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter3225</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NO better combat/survival knife exists that is better than the Tom Brown Tracker. Pricey yes but for an outdoorsman its a great investment and I have no regreted it once. Best knife made period. </div></div>

I have to respectfully disagree. It tries to do everything, but does nothing well. I will say it looks cool

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3fingervic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter3225</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NO better combat/survival knife exists that is better than the Tom Brown Tracker. Pricey yes but for an outdoorsman its a great investment and I have no regreted it once. Best knife made period. </div></div>

I have to respectfully disagree. It tries to do everything, but does nothing well. I will say it looks cool</div></div>

I have to 100% disagree with it's "combat" effectiveness. It's WAY too heavy to be used in CQB and blade heavy.

I think it looks stupid and won't win any beauty contests. However, it's extremely functional. If I had to have a single tool on a survival trip, it would be one of my top pics. I cuts through logs quickly with a baton, the ridges on the back make it easy to create snare traps or notches for paracord when building a shelter. If you read the manual, it quickly discards a lot of the "reviews" people have done on it without being educated on it's functionality.

As others have asked, what's the purpose of this knife? I'm going to pull the trigger on a ESEE 5 for my Go bag.

I am shocked no one has recommended Grayman knives yet they are bomb proof and made to be a pack knife. Maybe not as pretty as some but much more functional

I'll throw another plug for Busse / Scrapyard. Alot of Bussekin can be heavy...but there are a few gems for pack-knifes.

SS4 is fantastic. 4" blade, sabre grind w/ Res-C mudder grips. They will have a new 4" blade very similar that should be released in the next year.
IMG_0150.jpg

Busse CABS (choil-less anorexic boss street). 4" blade, thin, and well balanced.