• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TCKev

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Houma,LA
I'm fixing to buy 200rd's of Lapua .308 brass. I'm looking to shoot 175's and up out to 600yds. Should I buy the Palma small primer or stick with large primers?

Re: Which Lapua

From what I've been reading and hearing is that the benefits of the small primer stuff are there, but are not in any significant magnitude. Folks outside the upper end of Palma and Long Range Prone shooting are not likely to see any difference for the better. For the all-around shooter, the small primer brass may not be the ideal choice,

I have not used any of the Lapua small primer brass, but I have a fair amount of the 1980's Remington URBR brass with small primer pockets and have had hangfires and misfires in cold weather. (Cold weather, as defined here in South Texas, is when temps are hovering around the freezing mark) Otherwise, though, the small primer stuff works just like the big primer stuff.

As others have suggested, get the large primer brass unless you just want to experiment with it.

Paul

Either one will work fine. I shoot the Palma brass in one of my.308s and the regualar Lapua brass in others. I wouldn't run the small primer in an AI or other action that pierces small ones. Other than that, flip a coin.

Please use the small rifle primer version; that will leave more of the large rifle primer ones for the rest of us.