• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which Larue mount?

glock1985

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
I am thinking about putting a NightForce 5.5-22X56mm on my AR10. I would like to use it anywhere from 100 yrds to 1000. Which QD Larue mount should I use?

Re: Which Larue mount?

Go with the SPR LT-104 or the LT-158. The 158 has 10 MOA of forward lean, and is about 0.08" shorter (lower) than the 104. I would go with the 158.

SPR-S (LT-158). Most likely it will just clear the rail. It's made with 10MOA of forward cant and is lower than the standard SPR mounts. (Even better for an AR10 which has a higher rail over the bore line.)

Here's 3.5-15x50 NXS
SPR_Suppressed.jpg

Mine doesn't look like it from the picture, but it has decent clearance of the front objective to the rail. (One of the reasons I can run a small ladder panel and the butler creeks.) I don't thing the 3mm extra will be a big issue.

The LT-158 will work well. It is a great mount for the AR-10. I am running them on a couple different AR-10 type rifles, including a 10T and my POF P-308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SPR-S (LT-158). Most likely it will just clear the rail. It's made with 10MOA of forward cant and is lower than the standard SPR mounts. (Even better for an AR10 which has a higher rail over the bore line.)

Here's 3.5-15x50 NXS
SPR_Suppressed.jpg

Mine doesn't look like it from the picture, but it has decent clearance of the front objective to the rail. (One of the reasons I can run a small ladder panel and the butler creeks.) I don't thing the 3mm extra will be a big issue.</div></div>

That really is a hot looking setup you have there salmon.

Go with the LT158, it's I've got one and it's a sweet rig. I'm not going to sing LaRue's praises or anything but the LT-158 is gtg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That really is a hot looking setup you have there salmon. </div></div>

Thanks! I think it's the bees knees.

Stuff that's not so obvious from the exterior.
-CLE Douglas 1:7 midlength 18" SPR countour bbl w/ matched bolt.
-Geissle SSA trigger.
-LMT enhanced carrier. (Carrier only.)
-H Buffer.
-RTVed PRI gasbuster. (Works WAYYYY better than non RTVed gasbuster.)

It's very accurate and from the Carrier, Buffer and modded Gasbuster, I have no gas in my face. Even during very rapid fire. Also the recoil impulse is smoother.

Heres a 3-15x50 NXS w/ Larue mount on a 6.5 Grendel build.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Plenty of room</span>.

speedy025.jpg

speedy019.jpg

He sure does love posting pictures of that 6.5....

But with good reason.
grin.gif
Pretty sweet gun in my opinion.

LR30, did you ever get that green variant going or is that on the backburner/chopped?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heres a 3-15x50 NXS w/ Larue mount on a 6.5 Grendel build.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Plenty of room</span>. </div></div>

With the SPR-S, it runs lower than the other SPR mounts. Which is the reason I mentioned clearance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SPR-S (LT-158). Most likely it will just clear the rail. It's made with 10MOA of forward cant and is lower than the standard SPR mounts. (Even better for an AR10 which has a higher rail over the bore line.)

Here's 3.5-15x50 NXS
SPR_Suppressed.jpg

Mine doesn't look like it from the picture, but it has decent clearance of the front objective to the rail. (One of the reasons I can run a small ladder panel and the butler creeks.) I don't thing the 3mm extra will be a big issue. </div></div>

Awesome rig!!!
Very nicely done, good buddy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He sure does love posting pictures of that 6.5....

But with good reason.
grin.gif
Pretty sweet gun in my opinion.

LR30, did you ever get that green variant going or is that on the backburner/chopped? </div></div>

Still getting the parts together for it. Its going to be pretty much identical to a AA GDMR but with a 24" Sabre Defense bbl instead of the AA (Shaw) bbl.

Only things i need is the bbl (rainierarms.com has the bbl in stock), gas block, Larue 13.2" Rail. Still have not decided on what optic to go with but will probly go with a Vortex PST whgen they are out mounted on a Larue SPR 1.5 mount.

My funds are kinda tied up in a .300WM build being built by Warner Tool.

I would tell you none.

The last three I have seen, and a shooter just PM'ed me that all LaRue Mounts where moving and making flyers.

I would stick with the Bad Ord 22 MOA base, low Bad Ord or Seekins rings and call it even.

This way you can move the rifle scope to a boltaction rifle if needed.

John

The LaRue are good mounts but I would recommend the Nightforce Unimount if you are looking for a mount that is really solid.

Nightforce_Unimo_4ae89f14d808f.jpg

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would tell you none.

The last three I have seen, and a shooter just PM'ed me that all LaRue Mounts where moving and making flyers.

</div></div>

I'd say that's shooter error or incorrect installation. There's a VERY specific way that the larue rings are supposed to be tightened. If done incorrectly, the rings won't hold the scope right. Also, the throw levers need to be TIGHT (very tight) and you need to push the mounts forward against their recoil lugs. Finally, use the same rail position.

I've pulled SPR-S mounted scopes many times and never saw a shift in zero when re-applied. I definitely haven't seen a zero shift or fliers from mount movement while shooting. Of course I'm never shooting anything better than MOA accuracy out of my ARs.(5 and 10 shot groups.) Are we talking serious fliers? Or something that's turning Sub MOA into 1-1.5 MOA accuracy?

Salmonaxe,

Sir I am well versed in the operation of all LaRue Mounts since 2003. Thanks anyhow.

Back to my point.

for a SWS, I would skip them. How many "4" mounts must fail before I and my mates stop trusting them?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Salmonaxe,

Sir I am well versed in the operation of all LaRue Mounts since 2003. Thanks anyhow.

Back to my point.

for a SWS, I would skip them. How many "4" mounts must fail before I and my mates stop trusting them?

John </div></div>

I would definitely like to know more about the failures, like which brands and what kinds of failures.. I'm not calling anyone out either, I genuinely want the info because I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a new larue mount for an 18"SPR i'm working on..

I really like the idea of the badger 22MOA riser with low rings for my Grendel though..

Dirknar,

Sir,

I will compile this as soon as I can.

I think the LaRue SPR mounts ARE GREAT I love that mount. But if a type of mount slips and does not offer a solid we can not use it.

The Badger 22 MOA with low rings is the best setup for duty rifles for LEO's I have found. do to the fact if the weapon is down for service, or what ever, you can go from bolt action to gas gun by turning two 1/2 nuts.

If the bolt actions have 20 MOA bases, you are only 2-3 MOA off point of impact.

Some things to think about when owning many guns, and few optics.

John

Oh,

One more point, you can have diffrent uppers as long as each one has the badger 22 MOA base and have one scope.

I have done this and between a .223, .308, .243 and a .260 upper we where 5 clicks between all four uppers.

we then went to a FN SPR bolt action and we where .9 mil off.

Not bad for one scope, 4 uppers and a bolt gun all with in 9 clicks of each other.

BTW this was all elevation clicks .4 wind between the five setups.

John

Get the LT-107. Its perfect for a 308 AR and has 30 degrees of cant. I have one on mine. The ones mentioned above seem to me to be for a 223 AR system which is smaller and those mounts are designed to mount the scope in a forward position. The LT-107 will fit and work on a 308 based AR system. Expensive but rock solid. Can be had in 30mm and 34mm.