• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which laser range finder??

buckey

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2007
Pittsburgh, Pa
Recommendations for a top-quality laser range finder in the $400-$700 range??

This will be used in field/hunting conditions.

Thanks!!

Re: Which laser range finder??

I have a Zeiss and I've been very happy with it. I've never handled the new Leica so I can't compare the two.

i have the leica 1200, if you do a search here there is a few bits on them.the leica is a good bit of kit imho

I really am eying the Bushnell range finding bino's. They look mighty tempting and not much over your budget.

I have the Bushnell 1600's and it is a good laser. I have hot tress at 1350 yards and deer at 700 yards or little under. They work for me.

Ziess ... have ranged out to 1200 with it pretty easy.

+1 for the Swarovski, Look around like at Samplelist.com and you can get one for $700-$750
The Swaro is slow but I have ranged trees as far as 1996 yards . I have read good things about Leica and Zeiss also, Take your pick, Any of them are going to be great!

Save your self the money and use your mil dot scope. take the extra money and buy more bullets. with time and information from the hide you can gain a higher accuracy using mil-dots than the laser

I have the Leica 1200 and am going to upgrade to the 1600. My Leica 1200 wouldn't range past 1000 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your self the money and use your mil dot scope. take the extra money and buy more bullets. with time and information from the hide you can gain a higher accuracy using mil-dots than the laser </div></div>

Negative

LRF's are usually accurate to within +/- 1 foot... unless you know the exact target height down to the very inch, and can read the mils without error.

At long ranges even a slight error in mil height will put you way off target.

If you have a solution to press a button and receive accurate info why not use it?

Not saying the mil-dot system is bad, just saying I would put it second to a highly accurate laser.

Waiting on Bushnell 1600 Fusion to arrive.

I have used other bushnell LRF's before and for the price they are good. Leica and swaro LRF's are also top notch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your self the money and use your mil dot scope. take the extra money and buy more bullets. with time and information from the hide you can gain a higher accuracy using mil-dots than the laser </div></div>

............uuuuuhhhhh........no.......

sittunga1, do you have the lrf or crf? just ordered a crf 1200 last night but am planning on using it for my .308, wanted a 1600 but don't have a rifle to put it to use yet.

LMAO!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sittunga1, do you have the lrf or crf? just ordered a crf 1200 last night but am planning on using it for my .308, wanted a 1600 but don't have a rifle to put it to use yet. </div></div>

I have the 1200 CRF. The optics are great and it's a handy small unit.

I just upgraded from a Bushnell 1500,to a Bushnell Fusion 1600,and I am extremely happy with it.I can range tree's 1800+ yds. with it,while facing the sun,it gives fast readings,and doesn't seem to be bothered by bright sun at all.It does just as well in the sun as it does with an overcast.The glass is good to,I would definately take a serious look at them,you can get them for a little over $700 new if you shop around.I was talking to a guy the other day,and he said they outperform his Swaro's.

Let us know what you decide on as I'm curious as I'm looking for the same thing. Like I said earlier, the Bushnell Bino's really have my attention, but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recommendations for a top-quality laser range finder in the $400-$700 range??

Thanks!!</div></div>

You will not find a "top quality" laser range finder for $400-$700. A decent one, maybe, but not top quality. Save up more $ and buy a Vectronix PLRF.

Lecia 1600 are great for the price. Small and fit in one hand. There is Vectronix. They are the best but cost a lot more. It would depend on your needs. The Lecias I have ranged a house at 1985 yards,not bad for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recommendations for a top-quality laser range finder in the $400-$700 range??

Thanks!!</div></div>

You will not find a "top quality" laser range finder for $400-$700. A decent one, maybe, but not top quality. Save up more $ and buy a Vectronix PLRF. </div></div>

question being do you need a $4-10,000.00 LRF?

I had a swaro, and for the money I regret selling it BAD. I will get another. I have not looked at the Zeiss, but have looked through the Leica both binos and compact lasers, Bushnell, Nikon, and none of them stack up to the Swaro. I have not seen the newest version of the Bushnell, and like I said the Zeiss. But the Swaro will range to my effective range the best that I have used.

Newcon and Vectronix excluded, the Swaro is GTG in the price range.

if you want to save money, the Nikon would range out to around 700 non-reflective, and to 1200 plus on reflective fast, and cheap.

I'm very happy with the Zeiss PRF. Tested on a range so far to 800m and found to be very accurate.

lol, what a tool,

seriously mate its 2010

Currently in Afghanistan and I have the zeiss lrf. If I were to buy again, I would get the leica. I have days where it's tough to laze past 700M with the zeiss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recommendations for a top-quality laser range finder in the $400-$700 range??

Thanks!!</div></div>

You will not find a "top quality" laser range finder for $400-$700. A decent one, maybe, but not top quality. Save up more $ and buy a Vectronix PLRF. </div></div>

question being do you need a $4-10,000.00 LRF?</div></div>

Yes, that is the question. I've got a Leica 1600 and Geovids. They're great for ranging large things like big berms, houses etc at long distances. They are not good for ranging small targets (ie: 8"-10" steel targets) in big open fields beyond 600-800yds. They are also not good for ranging steel targets in the woods that are behind small limbs, twigs and leaves.

I've shot several LR matches where Leicas, Zeiss, Sarov etc range finders were not effective for ranging such targets. PLRF-10 ranged them all - no problem.

They currently cost $3,700 and you can purchse them directly from Vectronix. Not a salesman, just a satisfied owner whe thought they were "worth it".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your self the money and use your mil dot scope. take the extra money and buy more bullets. with time and information from the hide you can gain a higher accuracy using mil-dots than the laser</div></div>
your shitting me right, surly this was a joke............

Leica TCRA 1203+ with R400 Module.
Just picked ours up for work.
Laser Disto is accurate to 0.001m per 100m if using a GEOD or 360 reflector.

Going price is $95,000 AUD with one spare tribrach.

In your price range, I've tried them all and for just a bit more money, the Swarovski will beat them all, hands down. The guys who shoot with me hate it, because of the donut reticle in the Swaro, but when they can't range a target at 1400 yards or more, and I can, well.......

I have the Leica 1200. I like it a great deal, but I understand that the scan model has the option of setting it to yards or meters, and I would like that as well. I have no need of a longer range LRF as I do not shoot past 1000 yards. I would like to be able to switch to meters. JMO

The Swaro is in meters as well as yards.

Would someone with hands on experience with the Zeiss, please comment as to their range for deer?

thanks in advance.

I have ranged deer to 700 yds with my Zeiss with no problems. I have not ranged farther than that. Mine is very nice and on trees, brush, rocks etc. I have ranged to 1400 no problme in the heat/mirage etc. I'm in MS so we have plenty of heat/humidity. Ha!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt pfeffer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you Lee...think I am going to buy the Zeiss </div></div>
Mine will be for sale as soon as I get back stateside. I'm going with the Leica for the size differentiation, or if I'm feeling flush I'll get the geovids in 8x.