• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which LMT MWS to get? 16" or 20"

coues7

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2007
White Mountains AZ
I'm going to purchase an LMT MWS.....just trying to decide between the 16" and the 20". It's primary use will be ranges from 300-700 yards. Any recommendations based on personal experience?

Re: Which LMT MWS to get? 16" or 20"

You can do it with a 16" but what would deter you from a 20" is the question? Are you shooting competitions where you have to maneuver it in tight quarters? Are you planning on slapping a can on the end of it which will add even more length?

The 16" CL barrel is a freak of nature I've found. Regardless of conditions it will do 800yds quite easily, and with manageable wind conditions I've had fantastic success at 1k with it.

If your gonna pay the premium for added OAL, and weight of a 20" barreled MWS.....get a 6.5cm or .260 rem barrel that will offer you a significant amount of added range over a 16" .308 barrel. Your honestly not gaining much max effective range in terms of going from a 16" .308 barrel to a 20" .308 barrel.

16" - In my opinion, the slight increase in muzzle velocity is not worth the added length on this type of rifle.

16" will bang steel at 800 yds with no problem... Not sure why a 20" is really needed on this weapons platform... I know some people like the few extra fps, but you pay for it in the extra heft.....

Not to be obtuse, but 18 inch is the way to go, I think. Velocity is one thing, but when you get to the 18inch barrels you get rifle length gas systems. Considering LMT doesn't have anything between rifle and carbine gas systems like an intermediate, and how well gassed LMTs seem to be, I think the rifle length gas is an advantage worth the 2 inches over 16 inch barrel.

I dont have an AR of any sort so weight my opinion based on that.

I recently ordered an MWS. I've been looking since November. The thing about the system that caught me was the reports of accuracy right there with the other oft mentioned builders. The thing that got me to buy it was the barrel change feature. I struggled over going 16 inch or 18 inch.

I decided I dont have to choose. I can have both.

I ordered the rifle with the 16 inch chrome lined to ease the pain on my wallet and because from what owners claim it will do everything I can expect the rifle to do at the ranges I have readily available - 300 yards. One of the first accesories I will buy after I have it properly scoped out will be an 18" stainless steel barrel and I'll be planning some trips out to my friends place in western MA to take advantage of his 1,000 acres of property.

It seems like money is the only limit with this gun - barrel lengths a few different calibers to choose from its got more to offer than Obamacare.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to be obtuse, but 18 inch is the way to go, I think. Velocity is one thing, but when you get to the 18inch barrels you get rifle length gas systems. Considering LMT doesn't have anything between rifle and carbine gas systems like an intermediate, and how well gassed LMTs seem to be, I think the rifle length gas is an advantage worth the 2 inches over 16 inch barrel. </div></div>

+1

I have the 16". While I shoot it from 100-500 without much issue, I personally want an 18 or 20..... More mv for a lil better wind bucking at distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">16" MWS is where its at for 3-700 yards no problem. </div></div>

I'm surprised they don't offer an 18" as the only model.

18" would seem perfect while 20" seems long and 16" slightly short.

I have a 16" gun, and I'm just planning to load for it. 45 grains of Varget and 2.81" OAL supposedly yields 2500FPS which is enough velocity to get to 800 meters with relative wind stability IMO.

I just chronographed my 18"SS MWS at 5000' ASL using FGMM 175gr. and was averaging a MV of 2530 fps.