• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which mag for savage oryx?

6.5grendel

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2019
What mag are you guys running in the sa Savages with the Oryx chassis? I have an Oryx chassis on the way and trying to decide which mag to get. I will be using it on a 6.5 creedmoor and a 260 Rem. The COAL on my 260 is over 2.900 so I was hoping to use the metal MDT mag without binder plate but heard there might be issues with it feeding on Savages. I've also heard some people run Magpul aics mags without issues and other people say they need the feed lips trimmed. So what mags have you tried and what worked and didn't work? Really hoping to be able to run the non binder plate mags. Thanks for any help.

I run the Oryx with a savage 10 308 and Magpul aics. There is a little trimming you gave to do on the mag but it wasn’t much and i did it with some medium sandpaper. I have not had any issues with feeding or inserting the mag.

I will try to post a picture of the mag with the trim job.

I ordered an MDT plastic mag when I bought the Oryx but never used it because it was way too tight for the magwell

Hope that helps

The no binder mags usually require a notch in the feed ramp on the action. I just did mine on a Howa for the first time. I was a little nervous at first, buts its no big deal. I used a cone shaped grinder on the dremel then polished it with the dremel too. Total time about 5 minutes. The cone made a nice "ramp in a ramp" kind of thing.

Here are photos of the magpul aics mags

39770446-4D77-4AB2-864E-29719881B33E.jpeg
96BB1AB3-F89E-47CC-A789-17D289565D6D.jpeg

The front of the lips were sanded down to accommodate the action. Took about 10 min

I have run 3 Savage short actions (.308 / .243 / .22-250) through 2 different Oryx chassis using both 5 and 10 rd Magpul mags. Worked great without sanding anything. For whatever reason the 5 rounders were pretty tight getting them to latch in but have become easier as I use them more. I likely could have filed a smidge from the locking tab to make it perfect.

IMG_20190728_161123.jpg

Thank you everyone for the advice. I think I'm going to get the metal MDT mag without binder plate and just notch the feed ramp with the mill if the rounds dont clear the ramp.