• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which mags?

I don’t trust polymer long term. Metal mags on the other hand are proven to last. Keep them rust free and they should be good. WW1 and WW2 mags still being used for old NFA guns. I personally have HK mags with mid 1960 manufacture dates that look and run like new.

Reactions: GhostFace
Magpul still has loaded gen 1 prototypes of their mags and they run fine.

Lots of bashing polymer for mostly poor reasons. The argument about knives and rifle barrels makes very little sense because the reason those aren't plastic is mostly due to the increased rigidity you get with steel (also keep in mind these mags are usually aluminum not steel but there are steel ones out there), not so much the strength of the material.

For sake of clarity, I'll be referring to three types of mags.

Metal: Okay Ind., Brownells, USGI aluminum mags, etc.
Hybrid: Lancer mags with metal feed lips and poly body.
Polymer: Magpul, Troy, etc.

The problem with metal mags is that they are rigid, and when bent, they're toast. Run them over with a truck, they might be fine but if there's a rock in an unfortunate place, it's toast. They're also not quite as impact resistant as a polymer mag. That being said, metal mags are still durable as hell and I run them because they work very well. If you get surplus USGI mags, you may have to change the spring out as they've been used and abused, but that's not necessarily specific to metal mags.

Pmags have a little give to them. If you run them over, they'll bend and return to their original shape. Drop them, there's a little better impact resistance. The only weak spot is on the spine closest to the feed lips. Drop a loaded mag just right and you can crack the spine. The other problem I've had with Pmags is sometimes they'll swell a little bit and won't drop free.

Hybrid mags like the lancers combine all these things into one and add a nice useful touch with their translucent polymer. The spine is reinforced with a metal strap, most of the body is a polymer so crush and impact resistance are there, and the chances of sticking in the magwell are reduced because half of the material that fits in the magwell is metal and I think lancer has their poly figured out a little better than magpul.

Overall, if you stay away from pro mag and other shit brands, you'll be fine. Magpul, Lancer, and USGI mags have no issue with long term storage while loaded, and are very durable.

Reactions: 502Chevelle

Lots of bashing polymer for mostly poor reasons. The argument about knives and rifle barrels makes very little sense because the reason those aren't plastic is mostly due to the increased rigidity you get with steel (also keep in mind these mags are usually aluminum not steel but there are steel ones out there), not so much the strength of the material.

The problem with metal mags is that they are rigid, and when bent, they're toast. Run them over with a truck, they might be fine but if there's a rock in an unfortunate place, it's toast. They're also not quite as impact resistant as a polymer mag. That being said, metal mags are still durable as hell and I run them because they work very well. If you get surplus USGI mags, you may have to change the spring out as they've been used and abused, but that's not necessarily specific to metal mags.

Pmags have a little give to them. If you run them over, they'll bend and return to their original shape. Drop them, there's a little better impact resistance. The only weak spot is on the spine closest to the feed lips. Drop a loaded mag just right and you can crack the spine. The other problem I've had with Pmags is sometimes they'll swell a little bit and won't drop free.

Hybrid mags like the lancers combine all these things into one and add a nice useful touch with their translucent polymer. The spine is reinforced with a metal strap, most of the body is a polymer so crush and impact resistance are there, and the chances of sticking in the magwell are reduced because half of the material that fits in the magwell is metal and I think lancer has their poly figured out a little better than magpul.

Overall, if you stay away from pro mag and other shit brands, you'll be fine. Magpul, Lancer, and USGI mags have no issue with long term storage while loaded, and are very durable.
He asked what was most durable, SS is going to be more durable than any plastic made.
There is also the issue with plastics in cold weather, i dont know of any SS that gets britle when it is extreamly cold.
I have SS, aluminum and polymer magazines and like them all but prefer the SS and aluminum.
If i loose a magazine do to damage i would prefer it not be the most expensive polymer ones that are also heavier than the GI mags.

He asked what was most durable, SS is going to be more durable than any plastic made.
There is also the issue with plastics in cold weather, i dont know of any SS that gets britle when it is extreamly cold.
I have SS, aluminum and polymer magazines and like them all but prefer the SS and aluminum.
If i loose a magazine do to damage i would prefer it not be the most expensive polymer ones that are also heavier than the GI mags.
Guess you've missed the demonstrations of PMags getting run over by a Suburban and still functioning despite being cracked in the spine. Try that with an aluminum or steel mag and let me know how it works out for you. Even the vaunted, $70 a piece steel HK SA80A2/416 mag fails that test. BTW, PMags have been tested in cold weather and worked fine. I've jumped out of airplanes with them and they didn't spontaneously explode either. It's not like there's not thousands of them in service with DOD and allied militaries or anything. And before you go "Lowest bidder!"-they cost the government more per magazine than aluminum mags. Gen 3 PMag and the latest aluminum coyote brown/FDE mag with a blue follower are the only mags actually designed for, and supposed to be used with M855A1. I get the aversion to polymer, but PMags have been proven many times over.

I haven't had a single issue due to cold weather with any of my polymer mags, and they've been dropped on hard surfaces plenty in below freezing and sometimes sub zero temps. Thats not to say they don't get more brittle in the cold, but I haven't found that it becomes an issue in WI winters.

My point about rigidity still stands. Thin Stainless isn't going to be all that much better when it comes to impact or crush resistance than aluminum.

If you're paying a premium for polymer mags, stop buying them from Cabelas lol. Most Pmags can be had for less than 10 bucks a mag which is the same price as USGI. Lancers are the only mags I haven't seen for under 10 dollars.

Last edited:

It is because people have a very poor understanding of the advancements that have been made in both polymer chemistry and material science.

I keep lancers loaded for HD because of the metal feed lips I don't have to mess with a mag cover with someone breaking in the door.

All other uses I use PMAG M3 because its combat proven and their cheap.
Exactly what I want in a "stash" mag.

I keep lancers loaded for HD because of the metal feed lips I don't have to mess with a mag cover with someone breaking in the door.

All other uses I use PMAG M3 because its combat proven and their cheap.
Exactly what I want in a "stash" mag.
No need to mess with dust covers when you have one in the rifle ready for someone breaking in the door. Just sayin...

Reactions: hlee
I don't care what they're made of as long as they're dependable. Going to the range and having a FTF isn't that inconvenient but I would want to use that mag when my life depended on it. Find what works for you and stick with it.

There’s a reason the PMags are so successful. There are certain places and applications where polymer makes sense. AR mags happens to be one of those places. PMags are tested in far more extreme temps than they are ever likely to see in the field. And the ability to be dropped on the feed lips and keep on ticking is a huge benefit.
I run a combination of PMags and Okay and a few Brownells. All have lasted and run flawlessly.
No single material will be “most durable” in every scenario and in every application. But PMags come pretty darned close.

Reactions: RTV
#1 Toughest = GI aluminum w/magpul bumper plates. Can stay loaded for years. Feed lips and body have more springback than steel and feed lips more durable than polymer. Simple addition of a bumper plate greatly enhances ability to withstand drops on concrete.

#2 Pmags, but spines and feed lips will eventually crack given time, heat and abuse.

#3 Lancers. Tops will separate. Feed lips being steel will bend and not bounce back. Can remain loaded forever.

#4 Steel mags. Will bend, but can stay loaded forever.

Don't forget about adding the green followers in those USGI mags. Back in the day, I distributed for Olympic Arms and sold 10's of thousand of them.

Reactions: Sgt47 and JS8588
Guess you've missed the demonstrations of PMags getting run over by a Suburban and still functioning despite being cracked in the spine. Try that with an aluminum or steel mag and let me know how it works out for you. Even the vaunted, $70 a piece steel HK SA80A2/416 mag fails that test. BTW, PMags have been tested in cold weather and worked fine. I've jumped out of airplanes with them and they didn't spontaneously explode either. It's not like there's not thousands of them in service with DOD and allied militaries or anything. And before you go "Lowest bidder!"-they cost the government more per magazine than aluminum mags. Gen 3 PMag and the latest aluminum coyote brown/FDE mag with a blue follower are the only mags actually designed for, and supposed to be used with M855A1. I get the aversion to polymer, but PMags have been proven many times over.

I never said i had any aversion to polymer, actually i believe the words i typed down were i have all types and like them all but i prefer the aluminum and SS over polymer.
I even have a handfull of Korean manufactured polymer 30 rounders that are more ridgid than my Magpuls and run just as good.
I will continue to buy all types but the bulk of what i have are aluminum and SS, just personal preference and the ability to bend and tweak if needed for function or repair.

The truth of the matter is that ar mags, regardless of build material, are all sufficiently durable to gather dust on top of you hastily acquired pandemic hoard. Admit it, 95% of the mags you buy will sit in the back of the closet, and most of that will be factory sealed when the mid-terms roll around. Hell, I have unopened mags that were bought after Sandyhook...

Reactions: XLR308
The truth of the matter is that ar mags, regardless of build material, are all sufficiently durable to gather dust on top of you hastily acquired pandemic hoard. Admit it, 95% of the mags you buy will sit in the back of the closet, and most of that will be factory sealed when the mid-terms roll around. Hell, I have unopened mags that were bought after Sandyhook...
Yeah, having lived through the Clinton AWB years, I started buying in earnest as soon as it expired. I used to watch CDNNsports for clearance mags. I paid $4 - $10 per for most of mine.

Even right now, Pmags are only $11 - $13. That is the same price as 15 years ago.

Reactions: XLR308
Pmags have always had issues with cracking and fatigue, and moreso now they use a harder polymer.

Here is my Mag Hierarchy for the Ar15

Old School USGI 20 rounders with Alum Followers
Old School USGI 20 rounders with Plastic Followers
Okay/Colt/NHMGT/Labbel 30 rounders
Okay Surefeeds
D&H 30 rounders
H&K Maritime Mags
Lancer Gen 2's with metal feed lips
ASC 6.5g MAGS (rest of ACS mags suck)
Magpul whatevers
Rest of Polymer Junk like hexa, TD, or shitty imports
C products

Here is SR25 Hierachy

KAC 20 rouders
Larue 20 Rouders
Lancer steel reinforced 5-25 rounders
D&H 20 rounders
Magpul

There is zero reason to buy pmags. USGI are superior in every way but weight and Lancer makes a better poly mag that also happens to be translucent. In order for a Poly mag to have similar strength of metal it has to to thicker so you have a larger footprint as well as reduced OAL for cartridges. D60 is another story but were talking stick mags.

Reactions: GhostFace
Which mags are more durable stainless or polymer?
Well, since the OP didn't specify what rifle, but has numerous posts about mag release issues in a home-built large-frame, I will address that rifle.

The large frame AR doesn't assemble and run like a 5.56 version. There can be complications every time you fit anything. There are Armalite, DPMS, KAC and their parts don't always work together. Since 80% lowers normally come with mag release, magwell and takedown/pivots already machined, you just need to ensure the deck height to pin centerline is correct. Then your big concerns will be getting the trigger/hammer/selector holes in the correct locations.

For metal mags, KAC and ASC mags have worked 100% in my Mega, as have Magpuls for polymer. DPMS mags had about 75% reliability and I have not tried Hexmags or Lancers. With you making the rifle from an 80% lower, I can just say to use the magazine that functions most reliably in your rifle. Only way to determine that will be trial and error.

BTW I wouldn’t own a AR platform that wasn’t from a properly built 80 these days. Too much liability, and zero gain going with a non 7000 series aluminum 80

4473 is a registration database, one OCR scan away.

For the ar15 metal mags have had more time in then polymer, but current pmags are tough. Personally I prefer 20rd colt, NMHTG, okay ind and a couple others. As long as you stick with pmag for polymer you will be in good shape.

Unless you are stocking mags for long term then pmags blow. Guys are still shooting mags loaded durring the VN war out of usgi.

Find a mag that works for you. It doesn't matter what it's made of. For longevity, who know how long the Pmags will last. They haven't been around long enough to make that determination. Why not have a supply of different types of mags. I know I do.

Reactions: Texascbr
Magazines are a consumable item and should be treated as such , number them , run them till they malfunction , trash , repeat .

Have had no issues with any quality magazine that was not caused by feed lip damage .