• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which McMillan?

Skeld1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
Maine
I'm thinking about a McMillan stock for my SPS Tactical. I have it narrowed down to the A3/5, A4, or A5. I would be doing a mixture of positional and bipod shooting. Any recommendations? I'm guessing the A5 is probably the best choice but I'm open to suggestions.

A3-5 would be my vote, the A4 is not very comfortable for positional shooting.. I don't like the width of the forend on the A5 however, it is a great all purpose stock.
Don't overlook Manners, they're my first choice

A3-5 would be my vote, the A4 is not very comfortable for positional shooting.. I don't like the width of the forend on the A5 however, it is a great all purpose stock.
Don't overlook Manners, they're my first choice

It seemed like the extreme slope of the fore end on the A3/5 would be a little strange but I don't have any experience to base this on. Just eyeing it in pictures.

What is it that you like better about Manners? Mini chassis or?

The Manners finish appears better to me, also the customer service is remarkable. There are more options with the Manners as well. Quite a few different forend options. I also think that the Manners folders are the best stock on earth. And while you asked..yes the mino chassis is a great option and a tremendous value.
The slope of the forend really isn't that extreme. If you're shooting of a bag or rest then it help with elevation changes.

I like the A5....Thats what I went with. The Manners stocks are nice as well, plus their lead time is 16-20 weeks. A lot shorter than McMillan at this point.

I prefer manners as well, but down here in Australia there is only one official distributor, and you can't order them any other way unless you know or organize a way to reship out of the state's. Myself and many others don't want to deal with them again. So we go McMillan. Not to say any of my McMillans are lesser stocks, I just like the T4 over the A5. Manners have lost 3 stock sales this year from me alone, and a few more from a number of my mates etc because of their arrangement :(.

I have a manners and a mcmillan, the mcmillan is by far my preferance, better build everything was perfect. While the manners i still needed to do a bit of carving to. Im using the a5 and love it

I have two A5's and a T4. They both do the job. I recommend that you get the spacer system to adjust LOP and appropriate cheek riser. Both are worth the money to get the stock to fit your body.

check out the Bakers special too.
(not my rifle, pic stolen from old thread)
100_1334-1.jpg

I would like to try a manners however they insist on using a single distributor in Australia who is really hard to deal with, Mcmillan are easy!

I went with the A3 on my hunting rig (60% med tan, 20% black and 20% olive). The wait time was long, but worth it.
Charles

The hard part about this decision is that each person adapts to a different stock, well, differently. I've owned a bunch of McMillans, and they are still my favorite. 7mmRM talked me into an A4 about seven years ago, and that is still my favorite stock for shooting from a rest or prone. I've also owned an A5, and think that for an all-purpose type of stock that they are great.

However, what fits me best you may hate and vice versa. If you can get around a few people that own them and handle the stocks yourself, then that would be what I would suggest. Even a drive down to a fellow hide member's residence may be worth it when you consider an additional six month turnaround to replace the stock that you don't just absolutely love.

It really depends on your size. I'm 5'10 and have a A3-5 and absolutely love it. I'm in the process of ordering another. If your a larger person the A5 may be a better fit.

I have shot with Manners but I own McMillan. It just fit me and felt better. When I ordered it, I was originally going to order the A4, but the lady I talked to at McMillan (don't recall a name as that was 5 years ago), talked me into an A5 and I'm glad she did. That being said, I wish they did a folder like Manners. I love my A5, but because I'm running a 300 wm with an adjustable cheek piece, dropping the cheek piece whenever I need to remove the bolt sucks, simply because of the inconvenience. I'm now looking at a Manners TF4-A for it so that pulling the bolt will be "easier". But even if I get a Manners, the McMillan will just sit in my safe as a backup, or maybe a second stock for my hunting rifle.

If you do order a McMillan, go with the KMW Loggerhead cheek piece, as just about every offering from McMillan seems to come loose after strings of fire.

I'm 6'3". I am leaning toward the A5 with an adjustable cheek piece...but if it adds a lot of weight, isn't really necessary most of the time, and rattles around, perhaps I should skip that?

Also, I believe a Sendero inlet will fit my stock barrel, but should I go with the M24 inlet for possible future expansion?

Last edited:
I'd stick with the Sendero inlet. If you're going to send the rifle away for a re barrel at some point, just have the stock opened up for the new contour

An adjustable LOP and cheek can really come in handy when you transition from shooting in one position to another (i.e. bench to prone). It also helps a lot when others shoot your rifle, like when my wife or F-I-L shoot with me.

They do add weight, and are not always needed. Stockpacks help with the cheek issue, and I have ran several of those. FWIW, I have a McMillan A4 and Manners T2 on order right now, both will have adjustable cheeks.

Also, as stated above, keep the Sendero/varmint profile for your barrel channel. It is purely a preference thing, but I'd rather have to have a barrel channel opened up years down the road than stare at an 1/8" gap on each side of the barrel the entire time. I've gone that route before too.

That was my preference also...sometimes I get hung up on aesthetics though. :)

I prefer the narrower forend on the a3-5 vs the a5. Back end is the same. But I'd rather the A3 rear end again over the a3-5.

I have a McMillan A5 and a Manners T4. Both have the adjustable cheek piece. The McM has CDI cotton metal. The Manners has the mini chassis.
If I could only have one, it would be the Manners.

Yeah na ,

Of all the McMs I have seen or handled , the 2 I like the best are , 1 ) The McHale , which is really a Parker Hale design & not a McM design , and 2 ) The A2 , only problem is they only make it with the saddle cheek rest .

Later Chris

I have a McMillan A5 and a Manners T4. Both have the adjustable cheek piece. The McM has CDI cotton metal. The Manners has the mini chassis.
If I could only have one, it would be the Manners.

Where did you find this cotton metal you speak of? The closest thing I can find is steel wool.