• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which medium range scope for 5.56

Loaded question. PST, for its price, is a good scope.
vortex mil/LE discounts are generous. That also seriously deflated resell value, if u don’t want to keep scope for life.

Nightforce NX8 2.5 to 20x is very popular. Vortex Gen III 1-10x is popular, but hard to find. Leupold Mark 5 has a 3-18 that is quite nice.

I run a 3-15 gen 2 pst on my 18" AR and another on my secondary 22lr, 3x will let me engage as close as 20yds realistically if say a groundhog pops out of a ditch line, but can also dial up to 15x and make a 500+ yard shot as long as you aren't shooting at golf balls.
Reticle isn't as fine as a 5-25 pst g2 or a 4.5-27 razor, but for the optics purpose it doesn't have to be, actually helps some when zoomed out shooting closer. Clarity is pretty good, may even pick up a little more light than the 5-25.

I have a 3-9 VX-R patrol but I am putting a Nikon 4-16 ffp that is on closeout on it later this month. I will move the 3-9 patrol on a huntng/quick rifle gun. But the problem is half my items are in another state due to my ranch being there and work being else where. It is funny I have a 3-15 Weaver tactical non illuminated I have thought about putting on my bolt gun but the issue I have is the nikon is lighter than my Weaver.

3-15's are probably being pumped out at a high rate, I bet the 2-10 isn't being produced in near the quantity, possibly driving costs up. Or maybe the 3-15 and 5-25 share parts making them cheaper than possibly one off parts for the 2-10?
Just a guess, I've never seen the 2-10 in person.

I'm really liking the looks of the pst genll

What makes you like the past g2?

Sounds like you are pretty set on that one. If you tell us why you like it we might know something that will do it better or if you should just continue rocking on that pst.

I have a Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 on my AR that I take on and off depending on what I want to do. Pretty impressive scope for about $500. Serves me well for up to 400yds, past that...well...the 223 round is just meh.
BUT...it's SFP. Midway has good deals on Leupolds right now, FFP and more than enough magnification for an AR.

Last edited:
That’s a great deal on those Weaver tactical 3-15 on Natchez. Lot of scope for the money. Great for a .223 rifle. Might pick up another.

Like title says. Want FFP scope . Looking at 2.5-10 pst gen2 I do have govx and expertvoice pricing
What is your reason for wanting a FFP scope? Depending on what you consider medium range (3-400yards?), I would go with a SFP. But YMMV.

If budget is not an issue... New Schmidt and Bender 1-8 dual cc. Its a full mid range scope with illuminated tree reticle and all but when turned to close quarter mode your parallax goes to 10 yards and switching the illumination to red dot saves a 45deg angled red dot next to it.