• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which monocular should I get?

Johnnyscience

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
Looking for something small but powerful with some extras like laser for range finding etc.

What kind options are out there that I should be considering?

I have a Minox 8x32 that is a great pair of glass, but just too bulky in general for me, so I'm looking into monoculars now.

Thanks.

Re: Which monocular should I get?

The Vortex Recons are awesome and priced right. We have a bunch here we picked up at SHOT and they have reticles and come in 10X and 15X as well are mountable, we have them on tripods and they clip to Molle if necessary.

Check out the Vortex

That thing does look pretty sweet. It looks a lot bigger when its by itself, but shown with a person & it looks like it fits in the palm of your hand like a little flash light. The pic rail for mounting is nice, just not something Im sure I would use.

What kind of price tag is on something like this?

I guess I would get the most magnification I could with something like this so the 15x would be it for sure.

What other hand held monoculars are out there with even a few other features? Do the range finders ever come in a round scope body like this or usually just in the flat square bodies? What about night vision options in monoculars?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnnyscience</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here they are.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Recon-Scopes-C2972.aspx </div></div>

Why/how is the 10x more expensive than the 15x if the 15x is more powerful?</div></div>

Ranging reticle in the 10x you were looking at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnnyscience</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here they are.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Recon-Scopes-C2972.aspx </div></div>

Why/how is the 10x more expensive than the 15x if the 15x is more powerful?</div></div>

Ranging reticle in the 10x you were looking at. </div></div>

Ahh that would probably be it then.

Now I'm not sure if I want more magnification or a range reticle...

Why wouldnt they put the range reticle on the 15x?

How far out will the laser range to?

What other high quality monoculars are out there that can compete with the Vortex?

You can get the ranging reticle on the 15X. What you don't understand with these spoting scopes is that they don't use a laser. The ranging reticle is used like mildots.

So all monoculars/single lens' will be considered a spotter scope?

I thought there were some monoculars out there that basically had a little display in the lens for the distance, info etc?

I personally use my monocular to find a target quickly and only in a hand held role, anything more than 10-15X would be about worthless, to me personally, with such a small field of view. They are handy and I can't live without mine. If you want to save money and get good glass look for old Zeiss 8X30 monoculars. They go for cheap. I have an old one from the 60-70s that I've used in numerous schools and deployments and I prefer it over most glass these days. I picked it up for like 50 bucks on ebay and never take 24s or 22s with me. It is my baby and I have slept with it
grin.gif

The Zeiss 8 x 26 T PRF Victory, Rangefinding Monocular gives you distance. However, it lacks the power of those like the Vortex and though it is called a Monocular, I look at it more as a range finder.....

popeye089, sorry I cross posted the same product. I did not see your post before I posted ..

We even mounted the unit to NV the other night, and had an LA-5 on the mount to designate targets, and it worked like that champ. That was how we spotted for chaos in the dark.

The Vortex as small units and pretty handy, and for a site called "sniper's hide" you can't put reticles in enough optics. However if you are just poking around, I could where you won't need one.

I have the Zeiss monocular, and while very nice I found it limiting, where as I wanted the reticle, the ability to spot and if necessary range targets. A monocular is really just for a quick peek otherwise, not much else as your LRF is a 7X monocular already.

So really the Votex is the cat's meow when it comes to monoculars...?

I may be looking into one very soon with reticle in 15x then if nothing else can come close.