• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which mount for 1-4x on my AR?

bryanZ06

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2010
Georgia
I recently sold my EOTech and am looking to put a 1-4x scope on my Colt. Right now I'm leaning towards the USO SN4S. Should I go with the USO mount or the Larue? I currently have a Matech BUIS on the gun. Does anyone know if the SN4S will clear that with either of those mounts, or will I have to get a different BUIS as well?

Re: Which mount for 1-4x on my AR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assuming you have a collapsible stock, and don't have the 6940 monolithic upper, I'd pick SPR-E if you choose Larue. Not familiar with USO. </div></div>

Yeah, not sure why I didn't specify what I was running in the first post.

6920, LMT SOPMOD stock

I like to shoot nose to charging handle with irons, and would like to run a scope in a similar fashion.

I have had an SN4 and both USO and LaRue mounts for it.

Not to be a smartass, but the decision should be based on your cheekweld, not clearing the BUIS.
Think about it, you are talking about a $1000 optic (that all but eliminates the "backup" need by its reliability) in a $200 mount. go for what works.

If you have high enough cheekbones that shooting through the iron sights gives you a good cheekweld in all positions, go with the USO mount (they are 1.2" high, which is the same as irons. If you get in comfortable firing postition with your eyes closed, and open them to find yourself looking over the irons, get the LaRue (most LaRues are 1.5").

If I recall correctly the only BUIS that fit under a USO SN4 in USO Posi mounts that I had was a KAC 300m.

If you go LaRue, you won't need the SPR-E, I shoot NTCH and was just fine with the regular SPR as far as eye relief is concerned with a SN4 (the E may get you too far forward).

The SPR-E is just right for me but my optic is a Short Dot. Not sure of the eye relief on the USO but I think it's relatively short. There is some room to adjust the eye relief within either mount, but there is no need to pay extra for the "E" if the SPR works. My S & B is all the way forward in the SPR-E.

I would not want the mount to be any lower.

DSC_0645.jpg

do your self a favor check out GG@G I wouldnt be without them!

+ 1 on GG & G
They're local to me, good people and easy to work with.
I have two of their mounts.

Thanks for the input fellas. I'll look into all the options before I decide.

I would say Larue. For optics on my AR style rifles I always use Larue mounts, be it magnified, red dot, etc. AR equals Larue mounts IMO. I agree with the above poster as well, choose the mount for shooting the optic and don't worry about BUIS as far as choosing a mount. Also, the Larue is QD so if worse comes to worse you can pull the scope and use irons.

I just mounted a USO on a 308 AR with an American Defense mount. The Larue would not work for me due to the length of the erector housing. I am impressed with the quality of the AD mount and it may be another option for you.

DSC_0897.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bobro </div></div>X2. Best QD mount there is, if that's what you're looking for. I like to be able to go from Aimpoint to scope if need be, so QD is a must for me. The Bobro just rocks.

larue, adm, GG&G are the three that pop up alot. im looking for the same thing too.

the bobro was one i hadnt heard mentioned as much

I have a LaRue mount. I just recently got ahold of an ADM RECON. I am finishing my review of it, but it's a solid mount.

I have not gotten to the RTZ test, but it holds zero just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a LaRue mount. I just recently got ahold of an ADM RECON. I am finishing my review of it, but it's a solid mount.

I have not gotten to the RTZ test, but it holds zero just fine. </div></div>
I have both the Larue and the ADM Recon and must say I am impressed with both. I have been a larue fan for years but I got a Recon for a good price and wanted to try it out. They both return zero with no problems for me. I do like the levers on the Larue better. JMHO

The one thing I like about the ADM is the design won't mar your rails. The LaRue when set correctly, will remove the anodizing from the bottom edge of the rail after some use.

Now I could care less about the way it looks. That scratch is probably the least noticeable of the damage to my M4. However I can appreciate that if it's worn through the anodizing, then it's going to keep wearing into the aluminum eventually requiring a tension adjustment.

After you use a Bobro, you won't use any other mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one thing I like about the ADM is the design won't mar your rails. The LaRue when set correctly, will remove the anodizing from the bottom edge of the rail after some use.

Now I could care less about the way it looks. That scratch is probably the least noticeable of the damage to my M4. However I can appreciate that if it's worn through the anodizing, then it's going to keep wearing into the aluminum eventually requiring a tension adjustment. </div></div>This is why I like the Bobro. No adjustment needed, proper registration and rock solid fit on any rail, has a lock so the single lever won't inadvertently come undone, and can be mounted and locked, or unlocked and removed with one hand. RTZ is always spot on.

as stated, anything LaRue is nice. I've used several of their mounts on various things and they are always top notch. i have no experience with some of the others mentioned here but I'm sure their nice as well
hunter

Larue SPR mount is about as bomb proof as you can get. Plus repeatable POI after removal.

Thanks for all the help. I ran the EOTech on a Larue mount so I know that they are top notch, but I'm really interested in the Bobro...

Still not 100% sure which way I'll go yet. Not in a huge hurry since I just got my Delta Elite back from having some major work done and had a nice little bill to go along with it.

What front sight do you have? If you have a fixes front sight, you may want to get a higher mount like the LaRue 1.93. Fixed front irons get real annoying with a 1x scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What front sight do you have? If you have a fixes front sight, you may want to get a higher mount like the LaRue 1.93. Fixed front irons get real annoying with a 1x scope. </div></div>

I don't find the fixed sight to be an issue with a Short Dot in an SPR-E.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What front sight do you have? If you have a fixes front sight, you may want to get a higher mount like the LaRue 1.93. Fixed front irons get real annoying with a 1x scope. </div></div>

I don't find the fixed sight to be an issue with a Short Dot in an SPR-E. </div></div>

It is a preference thing.

Just thought that I'd let everyone know that I ended up ordering the Bobro extended mount from SWFA today. I appreciate all of the suggestions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bryanZ06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just thought that I'd let everyone know that I ended up ordering the Bobro extended mount from SWFA today. I appreciate all of the suggestions. </div></div>
You'll be very happy with the Bobro!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ag76</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bryanZ06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just thought that I'd let everyone know that I ended up ordering the Bobro extended mount from SWFA today. I appreciate all of the suggestions. </div></div>
</div></div>X2. Excellent choice.

If you want to keep it simple, unless your USO has a 34/35mm tube, I recommend Warne QR rings and probably the Mediums in 30mm. You won't need clearance for front objective, unless the scope is not longer a straight-tubed objective.

The Warne QR rings are very durable, steel, and allow more flexible mounting, plus they are lightweight. Go for the semi-permanent attaching set if you aren't looking for QR functions. If you have a set of low rings already, you might also consider the LaRue 110 QR riser works great with low 30mm rings. I've used this setup with MK IV low rings and Leupold MK IV 1.5-5x and been very satisfied. If flexibility matters, I like this approach better than the one-piece riser/ring combos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ag76</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bryanZ06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just thought that I'd let everyone know that I ended up ordering the Bobro extended mount from SWFA today. I appreciate all of the suggestions. </div></div>
</div></div>X2. Excellent choice. </div></div>

You will be very impressed with the Bobro. We've been blown away by the quality and ingenuity. Definitely a game changer.

SPL_031.jpg

Larue = ADM = Bobro

I've had great success with all three in terms of stability, cheek weld, and holding zero. The Larue levers may slightly mar the finish on you rails, but that does not bother me at all.