• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which new AI AXMC?

torrentuser

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2012
Ok, I'm a target shooter that has lots of experience shooting .308. I currently shoot the first gun I ever bought. I have a Rem 700 .308 18inch AAC 1/10 in a MDT Tac21 chassis. It was a good starter rifle but here lately i have lost faith in it and I think I'm out shooting it. I am a BIG fan of Sako but I have gone 3 SHOT shows of looking at their Sako TRG M10 be only available to LE/Military, I'm tired of waiting for it to be available to civilians. That got me reading about the AI AXMC which offers me the ability to shoot 308 AND .338 on the same rifle. I think that is great. This is the year that I get into reloading, so what I perceive as a really high cost barrier to entry into .338 will be somewhat alleviated. So I am looking for a rifle that shoots .308 and .338. And I'm pretty set on the AI AXMC. I got the dough to drop on this. Again, I'm just a target shooter. I like to only shoot dirt, paper, and steel. That is all my bullets will ever make contact with.

My question... Which AXMC to get? I think I need to buy the AX338MC because I can get an AI .308 barrel/bolt/mag with the long action chassis. Everywhere I have researched, I've been lead to believe that if I get a AX308MC, I can't get a .338 barrel conversion for it. That makes some sense since the action needs to be large. But then what about some of these competition calibers? 6.5, 260, etc.

Maybe we need to make a list of the various calibers per chassis. Also, it would be good if we could track if AI is planning to release any future caliber conversion kits (barrels, mags, bolts)

AI AX338MC:
.338 Lapua
.300 Win Mag
.308 Winchester

AI AX308MC:
.308 Winchester
?

Then are their other caliber conversion kits that are 3rd party (not AI) to give the user other calibers? Help me and all the rest of the future folks who read this post some guidance. I could call Mile High, but I figure this should help everyone who is thinking the same thing.

-torrentuser

I went AX308MC... I am only interested in short action calibers at this time, I would be lucky to find any place further than 1000 yards where I live.

I was also thinking about the 338MC, but it's seems to me that AI doesn't have any idea when the short action caliber kits will be available for the 338MC. After talking with Mile High and AINA I get the impression it's going to be awhile.

If I were to buy a AXMC it would probably be the 300/338 but that's because I already have a AX308 and also ordered a AT. If it were my main rifle though I'd buy the short action so I'm not limited only to 308 in the big one for small stuff until AI makes barrels. I don't have much use for a magnum anymore so the 308/243/6.5/260 option is much more appealing to me, the magnum would just be a toy.

I was at Mile High today and am going with the 308 too, just can't afford to shoot 300 and 338 after I buy this thing!

I went with the AI AXMC 308, because I mainly want to shoot 243 & 260 in matches. Besides I have two DTA SRS A1s with 338LM barrel conversion. I also sold my MRAD 338LM TO fund he new AI. Shot it for 18 months and it was a great rifle, but too heavy for my 66 yo bones.

I'm glad I read this, my understanding was the AI AXMC was a LA and is interchangeable regardless of initial configuration 308/300wm/338lm (with bolt/barrel/mag) and then there is also a AI AX308 which was not interchangeable.

Was hoping to get an AI AXMC in 308 and later add a 338lm option, guess i'll have to look at 308 availability for a AI AXMC338lm or then just get a new AIAXCS and an upgraded barrel for my current R700 AAC-SD 308

OP You are correct... You have to get the long action 338 version and will be able to get a 308 bolt face conversion and get a 308 barrel with the long action magnum threads. The AX308MC will not work with the .338.....

On the AX308MC you can use any short action caliber using a .308 bolt face. That leaves you options such as 260 rem, 6.5 CM, 6.5 x 47 Lapua, 243 6xc, 6 cm and the list goes on. AINA offers them in the first four calibers listed and Mile High carries them all. With any of those other short action calibers you will have to get someone to do the barrel for you such as GAP. If you did get the long action version and the .308 bolt face you should be able to get a barrel spun up for any of those short action calibers as well.

Last edited:
Not being sarcastic, I don't own AI anything (except their mags!) but for you guys getting the AX308, why would you not just save some cash and do the AT instead? What are you getting from the AX (which is much more expensive) that the AT doesn't do?

I may be selling a rifle or two to swing an AT, for a 308/243/260 switch barrel so I'm just curious if there would be a reason to go with the AX if you didn't want the 338 option?

Verdugo60, I had thought the same thing and couldn't figure out why an AX would be better than a AW or AE but after getting to shoot and handle an AX I do understand why.... The AX is a little more refined with the mag cut out allowing easier reloads without having to tilt the rifle in prone. The new PSR style stock is pretty cool too and is right folding to capture the bolt but I admit I've never shot one with the new version stock so that's just my opinion. The added rail space is also nice and the barrel is protected all around so you can get into some funky shooting positions and not be resting the barrel on anything.

On the other hand the AT will probably perform every bit as well as the AX just like the AW and AE did before. All this being said I will likely be buying an AT because I'm not made of money and I personally like the classic style better.

Not being sarcastic, I don't own AI anything (except their mags!) but for you guys getting the AX308, why would you not just save some cash and do the AT instead? What are you getting from the AX (which is much more expensive) that the AT doesn't do?

I may be selling a rifle or two to swing an AT, for a 308/243/260 switch barrel so I'm just curious if there would be a reason to go with the AX if you didn't want the 338 option?

AI has a winner with the AT for sure, it's priced right and will be every bit as accurate as the AX. For me it's a question of form and function. There's no question that the function of all of the rifles will have excellent performance, but the form of the new AX/PSR chassis just resonates with me. I would get the magnum but it would be more of a novelty for me, I would be using it as a 260 or 308 nearly all of the time.

AI has a winner with the AT for sure, it's priced right and will be every bit as accurate as the AX. For me it's a question of form and function. There's no question that the function of all of the rifles will have excellent performance, but the form of the new AX/PSR chassis just resonates with me. I would get the magnum but it would be more of a novelty for me, I would be using it as a 260 or 308 nearly all of the time.
This is exactly why I ordered the AI AXMC 308. I'll also be shooting mostly 260 & 308, since 243 is such a barrel burner, but wanted to give it a SHOT! I'm really enjoying reloading and realize that I may have to refine my DTA loads for the AI platform.
Thanks AI! I always need something new to spend my money on to keep this crappy economy running.

@ COLOSHOOTR : I did notice that right folding stock that retains the bolt on the AX in Frank's video, that's pretty nice, especially if you were actually lugging it around folded up in a backpack or duffle.

I guess it all depends on where you are financially and how much of a return you will get back for the extra cash (as far as actual improved use.)

For myself, the AT will probably be one of the nicest rifles I will ever own, and will be something I can buy extra barrels for, shoot for a LOOOONG time and hopefully pass on to my kids someday. The extras the AX come with may be worth it for some, but for me I still get the AI action(one of the best if not the best, including customs), with a safety as a bolt catch and will have a guaranteed shooter that I can try any short action cartridge I want with, minus the short mags.

Of course that's all before shooting either, I have handled both AW's and AX's, maybe I will change my mind and save extra for the AX or upgrade later, but I doubt it. There is always something better, and I don't think the AI AT will be "settling" by any means, at least for me.

One thing about being on this site is trying to teach yourself to be happy with what you have, because Frank and plenty of others will always make you feel jealous. :) Ha. Not that I resent it, good on him. At some point you just have to weigh what is "good enough" vs $1000's extra for relatively small upgrades. Sorry if that sounds un-American! :)

Reactions: Gar.
[MENTION=43357]COLOSHOOTR[/MENTION]: Thanks for that great info. It seems that the AX338MC is definitely the one I want and will probably get. The issue I see from reading the thread (great thread by the way) is that the collective intelligence is that the 308 calibre conversion kit won't be available any time soon for the AX338MC, certainly not on the release date. I may have to wait a while for AI to actually start shipping the Long Action .308 conversion kit? If history is any indication, will I be waiting a year or two? Can anyone of the 4 US distributors chime in on that?
-torrentuser

One thing about being on this site is trying to teach yourself to be happy with what you have, because Frank and plenty of others will always make you feel jealous. :) Ha. Not that I resent it, good on him. At some point you just have to weigh what is "good enough" vs $1000's extra for relatively small upgrades. Sorry if that sounds un-American! :)

Isn't that the truth... Every time Frank posts a new video on here I almost feel like less of a man as I drool over the new item being reviewed that I can't afford! :)

The AT will definitely be nice enough for me... Now to just convince myself that that is the truth and not try to out do my friend who has a 2013 AX. I'm sure glad I don't ever keep my one credit card I have on me especially when I visit Mile High.... Who knows how in debt I would be by now.

Any idea on availability for the .308 conversion kit (barrel, mag, bolt) for the AX338MC?
-torrentuser

COLOSHOOTR, What's the difference between the new AT and the AW? Did they just lower the price to sell to more of us? I hear the AW action is the same as the AT, is this right? The stock or something has to be different,

I'm probably going with the AT as I'd rather have two $4000 rifles than one $7000 one. Maybe that's wrong as then I'll need two NF's and I get the whole idea is being able to change calibers (like having more than 1 rifle) but I'm thinking buying the AT and then maybe a Spartan or GAP in an A-5 stock.

Thanks for all the info

I am number 3 in line with Mile High Shooting for a 24" black AX308MC. Will also be getting a .260 barrel for it. The AX338 is on the list of possible buys down the road if I decide I really want the reach and power of a .338 lapua.

I was very impressed with the new AI rifles at SHOT. So much so, that I have decided to carry the AI line in my shop.

My distributor told me they have not heard the price for the .308 conversion (barrel, bolt components, mag adapter, and mag) for the AX338MC yet. I was told to expect that it will not cheap. I am hoping that AI will keep the price down on these components.

For the OP, if you really want to shoot the long magnum rounds your only choice is the AX338MC. If you are going with a .308 based round, then it becomes a little harder decision between the AT and the AXMC. The AT is a sweet rifle for the money. With the AXMC you gain a few additional features, but at a cost of a little more than $2K.

The AT is a great deal for sure, you can't go wrong with it. Having owned a .338 in the past, I know that I just don't wan't one now. It's great on paper, but the reality is that if I bought the 338 with the 308 kit(.260 for me), it would get shot with the short action caliber 99% of the time. It's kinda like building a double duty target/ big game rifle, and then slanting the spec heavily in favor of the hunting aspect, despite the fact that you'll punch a thousand holes in paper or steel for every one shot at an animal.

To the OP, I'd spend some time behind someones .338 and find out if it's something that you really want. If it's just OK, or you'll never really be able to stretch it's legs, it would be a big waste. In other words don't get sucked in by the idea that you can "do it all" with one large purchase, when the reality is, you wont.

Awesome comments, I'll be thinking about this. I like the comment about having 2 $4k guns than 1 $7k gun. :)

Awesome comments, I'll be thinking about this. I like the comment about having 2 $4k guns than 1 $7k gun. :)

If you want (2) AI rifles, you are not going to get an AW or AX in .338 for $4,000. Realistically, I think you are looking at $5K-$6K for that .338 LM in an AW or AX. Then once you add nice scopes to each rifle ($3,500 estimate per scope plus another $300 for a mount). The two rifles start to look less appealing to me.

I have been running a DT SRS for a couple years. It has been very nice to be able to switch from .308 to .260 to .338. without having to buy another $3,500 scope and $300 mount let alone a whole other rifle. I also liked how the rifle eliminated some additional rifles from my safe.

I think you should really decide if you want the magnum capability or not. If you do, it may make more sense to go with the AX338MC. Though it would be nice to have prices for the different conversion kits to really make a good informed decision.

Give it some time, there will be used AW or AX 338's out there for $4K, Mile High is offering 20% off list now on new AW's and AE's. As for glass, you can get a 3.5-15X50 NF for $1700 with zero stop that'll work great. So buying an AT for $4K and a GAP for $4k is possible, not counting glass and accessories.

I know you'd be at $12K plus for both by the time you set them up with bipods, extra mags, etc. but I still like having two rifles over one even if they cost a few grand more.

I'm going for the AX300MC, my thought is I normally shoot ELR in the summer for fun so I'll screw on the 338L barrel for the summer. When fall comes around I hunt with a 300wm Sept-Nov and after Nov I start hammering coyotes so I can then switch to the 243 and then use the 243 for comp use too.
I hope they announce how much the SA mag block and .473 bolt is going to be before I commit.

Give it some time, there will be used AW or AX 338's out there for $4K, Mile High is offering 20% off list now on new AW's and AE's. As for glass, you can get a 3.5-15X50 NF for $1700 with zero stop that'll work great. So buying an AT for $4K and a GAP for $4k is possible, not counting glass and accessories.

I know you'd be at $12K plus for both by the time you set them up with bipods, extra mags, etc. but I still like having two rifles over one even if they cost a few grand more.

If there was a limitless supply of AX and AW .338 rifle being sold at a 20% discount, I would agree that you would eventually see $4,000 AW or AX rifles. At some point the supply is going to dry up on these hold over rifles, then the only replacement if you want a new AI will be the AX338MC and you are looking at $7K. If anyone can find a lightly used AX or AW in 338LM for $4,000, I would tell them to snatch it up without thinking about it. At that price, I doubt they would ever lose any money on it.

I agree with you that the NF NXS 3.5-15X50 is a great scope. I ran that same scope for a number of years on one of my rifles. However, depending on your intentions with these rifle systems, it may not be the best choice. In our local matches, the guys running 15 power optics will occasionally run into a stage where they can't see the targets (i.e. ultra small paper targets). For and ELR type rifle like a 338 LM, I would really recommend a 25X power scope over a 15X. Also, if you are into PRS type shooting, front focal plane scopes are starting to dominate. For a high quality, 25X front focal plane scope, you are near $3K and up for the scope.

I used to like having a rifle for every purpose, but my DT SRS changed that a few years back. It has been very nice to have one platform that can do it all. I also jumped from my NF NXS (which really are nice scopes and I still run them on a couple rifles) to an incredible bright and clear FFP 5-25X56 Scope, which on my income would not have been prudent to put on multiple rifles.

To the OP - It is really just boils down to personal preference if you want one or two rifles. I would recommend mulling it over and get what you really want and not what someone else is recommending.

RMW, thanks for the advice, I appreciate hearing your thoughts. In short, I agree with you. Never had any other NF glass except the 15. Here in Colorado we are seeing AW's in the $4Kish range, I should have bought the one I ran into last week. Don't you think lots of guys are going to try to sell off their older AI's to get a AT or MC? There's already a few AI's in the Firearms for Sale section although at what I think are unrealistic prices.

I'd never post on a guys for sale thread that I think he's way too high but there are a lot of guys that are going to have to get with reality to sell when you can buy a new AT for $4K with a folding stock. (list less the 5% Hide discount at Mile High). Maybe there's a guy who will pay more than what the value is (guess it's all relative as to what someone will pay) but most guys here are pretty savvy.

Anyhow now you've got me thinking of buying a MC with 25 power, thanks a lot!

RMW, thanks for the advice, I appreciate hearing your thoughts. In short, I agree with you. Never had any other NF glass except the 15. Here in Colorado we are seeing AW's in the $4Kish range, I should have bought the one I ran into last week. Don't you think lots of guys are going to try to sell off their older AI's to get a AT or MC? There's already a few AI's in the Firearms for Sale section although at what I think are unrealistic prices.

I'd never post on a guys for sale thread that I think he's way too high but there are a lot of guys that are going to have to get with reality to sell when you can buy a new AT for $4K with a folding stock. (list less the 5% Hide discount at Mile High). Maybe there's a guy who will pay more than what the value is (guess it's all relative as to what someone will pay) but most guys here are pretty savvy.

Anyhow now you've got me thinking of buying a MC with 25 power, thanks a lot!

Snipe10 - I wasn't trying to push you either way. I think the AX MC will be a fantastic rifle. Which is one of the main reasons I have decided to carry AI rifles in my shop.

I personally don't foresee a lot of guys selling their AW and AX rifles to get the new AX MC. I do see the AT and AXMC becoming very popular with guys that want one rifle that can fulfill multiple roles well. If you want an AT with threaded barrel and folder the MSRP is $4,622, after a 5% discount it would put you at $4,391 and if you buy local in CO, I am guessing that you may have some sales tax too.

Let me know if you decide to go with an AI. I would love the chance to earn you business.

Ok to be clear, the only differences between the AT308 and the AX308MC are:

AXMC adds:
PSR folding stock
it folds over the bolt
it has the magazine cut out so you can dump mags without lifting the rifle
~$3000 additional dollars

Am I missing anything?

-Torrentuser

Hi,
You can only buy an AXMC in .338 or .300 and with accessories convert between the two. You can buy a .308 barrel, bolt, magazine and magazine adaptor which can then convert the magnum to a short action. You cannot buy an AXMC in 308 but you can buy an AX308 which cannot be converted to a magnum. Either the AXMC converted to a .308 or the AX308 or the AT308 for that matter can be converted to 243, 260, 6.5 and 6mm Creedmoor by changing the barrel.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Holy cow! That is awesome. Tom, ideally for me, maybe not for AI (immediately), but I have noticed that Europtic is selling a AXMagnumMC base. At least it is on their website here:

Accuracy International AX Magnum Black Base Build for sale!

Can I buy the Magnum base and the .308 conversion kit... and then in 6 months, I'd buy the .338 kit?

Maybe there is no such thing as a .338 kit. You haven't announced that and I dont think there is a SKU. Can this be done?

-TorrentUser (money in hand)

Hi torrentuser,
I do not know what an AX Black Base Build is but I do not think they are referring to an AXMC. The only AXMC you can buy is either an AXMC300 or AXMC338 and then you have to buy a .308 conversion kit.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Hi torrentuser,
I do not know what an AX Black Base Build is but I do not think they are referring to an AXMC. The only AXMC you can buy is either an AXMC300 or AXMC338 and then you have to buy a .308 conversion kit.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International
I am looking to get a 300WM and a .308 conversion.. ETA? at dealers like Ero Optic and Mile high ?

FYI,
The conversion kits for conversion of the AXMC to .308 are available and our distributors have pricing.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

The pricing will be fixed (MSRP and/or MAP) so could you please tell us the price since it isn't listed on their sites yet?

Anyone have the price for the 308 conversion kit??

It's kind of hard to make a purchasing decision without minor details like price ;)

I'm waiting on that too. I would love to hear from TomIrwin. I'd like to know if he has laid his eyes on them, seen them ship, and what the price would be.
-TorrentUser

I had a DTA with .308 and .338 lapua conversions and I bought an AX .308. After about a month I found I liked the ergonomics and trigger alot better on the AI. So like any guy with gun ADD I sold the DTA, the AX and bought the AXMC in .338 and will be waiting impatiently on the .308 conversion to arrive. Well here she is

Y'all got the new toys and Im just sitting here with a piece of s*** PSR........ hahaha just playing. Nice stick, Def like the black version!

We all have dealt with this problem from time to time. I hope the Tan version looks enough like the MRAD I sold that there won't be any issues setting it up or cleaning it on the kitchen counter!!!

Now I got coffee all over my screen and I am not even in the humor thread.

AXMC conversion kit fopr .338 to .308

Hi Tom,

Do you know when the conversion kits for the AXMC .338 to .308 will be available.

Sporting services in the UK are unable to give me any date and when I contacted AI in the USA last week they told me that they are waiting on the barrels and are not able to give me any idea on dates.

FYI,
The conversion kits for conversion of the AXMC to .308 are available and our distributors have pricing.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

I have customers that are on the fence in regards to purchasing an AXMC. If a price and expected delivery date was known on the .308 conversion, I am sure some additional AXMC rifles would move off the shelf.