• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which new barrel?

triceratops3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Northern VA
Hi,

I have been looking into getting a new heavy barrel first I looked at 6.5 creedmoor but decided I should just go with 308 since I have more options.

I am looking at Er shaw prefits because they seems to be of decent quality and are budget friendly. There are two that I am looking at The 20" threaded one from midway and a 26" non threaded one from gun shacks group buy.

I plan on getting a muzzle brake either way and am planning on going to TVP at least a few times this year. which would you get? I kinda leaning towards the 20" because the velocity shouldnt be that different and its already threaded.

oh and I an thinking of testing 155gr, 178gr and 208gr Amax's.

http://www.gunshack.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=150

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/762388/...?cm_vc=wishList

Re: Which new barrel?

I have had good luck with SS Pac nor and Douglas

Its probably more important to the get the right twist for your bullets then the maker. I think most are awesome

I wasn't really looking at maker, just wanted a cheaper barrel and at least factory grade which the shaws seem to be, but i was more worried about the length. Both are 1 in 10 twist which should stabilize 155's to 208's.

What "options" are you looking for that makes you want a 308 over a Creed? I would go with a Criterion barrel in the Creed if it were me.

ER Shaw will also do one up in a Creed for ya. They offer a 1-8 or a 1-9 twist. For what you'll be doing, go with the 1-8. Give them a call and see what the lead time is for a pre chambered Savage barrel.

ER Shaw link.

EABCO also sells Shaw barrels.

Well for barrels, there are more that are ready to go that are chambered in the .308 than the Creed. I already have brass and dies for the .308 so i'd be ready to go once the barrel got in.

Also, the Creed brass is pretty expensive to me and not very available at many places. and I was actually looking at the criterion barrels from Northland Shooters Supply for a 6.5 and emailed him but havent heard back yet. and now i've decided that 300 for a barrel is a bit much for me to spend right now.

I understand money being tight but, if you have new 308 brass, you could always sell it. A set of new Hornady Creed dies will run you $33.99 at midway and 100 pcs of brass should last you all season. Don't rush the rebarrel job and "settle" for something that's in stock. Get what you want. It could last you 4-5 seasons depending on how you "abuse" it. I just think you'll be happier with the Creed in the long run.

Maybe I could look at the 260 as well. I could find brass at my local stores and if not use 308 243 and 708 brass to form 260.

I think I would be more satisfied with a 6.5 caliber but I have the rest of my life to get exactly what I want. But for now I'm just looking for something that will be better than a 9 twist 223 shooting 69gr smks so I can reach 1000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ER Shaw will also do one up in a Creed for ya. They offer a 1-8 or a 1-9 twist. For what you'll be doing, go with the 1-8. Give them a call and see what the lead time is for a pre chambered Savage barrel.
</div></div>

I found a Shaw barrel in 260 that I would consider, being cheap(actual price of barrel), available soon and almost the same ballistics as the Creed but with more brass.

Only had one experience with ER barrels and it wasn't a good one. My personal opinion is be patient, pick the caliber you want by doing tons of research, and save for a quality pre chambered barrel. I would give Benchmark Barrels a call.

Twice stressed relieved for cold bore/shot to shot consistency. Hand Lapped....etc.

You don't get any of that with the ER's. We tried to lap one because it fouled like a mother and when we ran the lap through the bore it sounded like a zipper from all the tooling marks. A quality barrel is essential for precision and is worth the wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But for now I'm just looking for something that will be better than a 9 twist 223 shooting 69gr smks so I can reach 1000 yards. </div></div>

Moving up to a 308 is a baby step at best. A friend had a shaw barreled 7mm RM that shot very good and I have one in a 220 swift that does well. You can get a bad barrel from ANY manufacture so, don't get scared off of the shaw barrels. They don't cost a bunch so people figure they have to be junk.

As much as I don't like the 260 rem (and I have one), it's a big step in the right direction for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why don't you like the 260? </div></div>

It's an arguable waste of room. The bullet is so far into the case that it takes valuable boiler room where powder should be. Does it work, yes. Is it ideal, no. The Creed is a more efficient design and the 6.5x47 is even more effecient yet, but the x47 lacks just enough volume to run shoulder to shoulder with the Creed.

I see. I originally wanted the Creed because you can load to a shorter OAL to fit in mags easier and while having a similar case capacity.

But the 260 seems to get the job done when needed to.

Ordered a Savage replacement barrel from Shaw last May, a 6.5x55 swede in heavy magnum contour. At time of order, told to expect delivery in 12 to 16 weeks and they charged my credit card day order placed. Took about 20 weeks to get barrel. Cost was $160 plus $20 shipping. I've no complaints about barrel, rifle shoots just fine with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ordered a Savage replacement barrel from Shaw last May, a 6.5x55 swede in heavy magnum contour. At time of order, told to expect delivery in 12 to 16 weeks and they charged my credit card day order placed. Took about 20 weeks to get barrel. Cost was $160 plus $20 shipping. I've no complaints about barrel, rifle shoots just fine with it. </div></div>

How much have you shot it and What kind of groups are you getting?

or maybe I could snag the McGowen .243 7 twist thats for sale in the for sale section and run some heavies..

Cheaper and more available with good ballistics.