• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Which Nightforce Compact for my use?

Ranger413

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2012
SE Georgia - USA
Looking to replace the SWFA 1-6x that I put on top of my SCAR 17. While preparing for a local scoped rifle match, I've noticed that I'd like to have a bit more magnification. While I've posted some nice groups, both at 100 and out to 500 yards with the 1-6x, I want more magnification. I'm thinking of selling off the SWFA in favor of a Nightforce Compact, either the 2.5-10x32mm or 2.5-10x42mm. I'm a bit torn on which one to go with.

First, I want to stay Mil/Mil. I know going with this scope I'll be going SFP. I've grown acustomed to using my SWFA 5-20x (FFP), but we have yet to shoot unknown distance and I think the SFP wouldn't be a limting factor at 10x anyhow. I like these two scopes for the fact that they're light, even lighter than the SWFA 1-6x.

I'm not sure which scope would be best for me. I'll be limited to shooting no further than 600 yards. Is the parallax adjustment really necessary? Also, most of my use of this rifle and scope combo will be during good light. Might ocassionally hit the deer/hogs woods with it though. Would I be happy with the 32mm? There isn't much difference in weight between the two. Difference in price looks like about $250. Like a kid in the candy store. Decisions, decisions . . .

The only FFP in the 2.5-10 world, that I know of is a Vortex Viper PST

Vortex also offers a 2.5-10 x 44 but it is SFP

I personally own a NF NXS 2.5-10 x 32 with the Velocity 600 LV reticle and I can say it works, and works very well... however you really need to have your proven load already worked up. Once you buy that reticle, its not easy to change your load as the reticle then may or may not work. I shoot out to 300 with it and so far, have not had any parallax issues like I do with a 5.5-25 or 6-24 scope at the same distance. I'm sure there's some science behind why, however thats beyond me.

I just ordered a NF NXS 2.5-10 x 32 with a MOAR reticle for a .308 I own and will be happy to report back on it. I almost went for the 2.5-10 x 42 just for the side parallax (and the DigiLum looks cool too). I really don't know if the gains from a 32mm to a 42mm objective would be substantial.

NF glass is good stuff, and in my experience a lower power but higher quality scope will look drastically better than a high power yet lower quality scope at distance.

Burris is releasing a top end 1.3-8 and 2-10 at shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

[MENTION=64209]Ranger413[/MENTION] - I've got an as-new NF 2.5-10x32 in a mil/mil configuration (.1 mil turrets and NF mil-dot reticle) I'm looking to sell if you settle on that model and are interested. I'll make you a good deal. It has been sitting on my MWS and I'm looking to upgrade to the 2.5-10x42 for more light-gathering during hunting.

Burris is releasing a top end 1.3-8 and 2-10 at shot.

I'm looking forward to seeing Burris' new stuff, it's been a long time coming. I've always thought if they have a few more mil/mil and (any) FFP offerings with a good amount of elev adjustment, they'd be hot sellers.

Ranger413;2828010. I'll be limited to shooting no further than 600 yards. Is the parallax adjustment really necessary? Also said:
That's how I use mine. Mine is a 32MM compact, and I'm happy with it.

I just got the NF 2.5-10x42 with Mil-R reticle for my MK12 clone. Used NF 1.375 ultralite rings. The scope was on the paper about 4 inches low without any bore or laser sighting beforehand. Easily clicked it up to the bullseye. Have not had the chance to shoot it any more since sighting it in on the Friday after Thanksgiving. So far, I really like it. Can't wait for the weather to clear so that I can give it a thorough workout.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing Burris' new stuff, it's been a long time coming. I've always thought if they have a few more mil/mil and (any) FFP offerings with a good amount of elev adjustment, they'd be hot sellers.

Crosshair, they are all FFP except the 1.25 - 8 which is dual focal plane.

[MENTION=64209]Ranger413[/MENTION] - I've got an as-new NF 2.5-10x32 in a mil/mil configuration (.1 mil turrets and NF mil-dot reticle) I'm looking to sell if you settle on that model and are interested. I'll make you a good deal. It has been sitting on my MWS and I'm looking to upgrade to the 2.5-10x42 for more light-gathering during hunting.

You have my interest.

I am looking at a scope for a 20 inch barrel 308 "General purpose" bolt gun.

BMT

Can you give us any more specs on this?

RFutch, the donut is on the SFP so it is always visible and at a size that is usable at any magnification. The BDC-type reticle is in the FFP so it is accurate at any magnification. It's really trick.

I'm running a 2.5-10x32 NF on my SPR, and truth be told I really wish I had more mag, like a 3.5-15x F1. At 10x with the MOAR reticle the line thickness is a little thick, and it for me it makes it difficult to stay centered on target for groups. Granted, for off-hand use, sling-support, barricades, anything where the target is MOA or greater it is great, as it allow for fast acquisition. But, if you really want to drill centers it isn't the easiest. I'm still trying to learn the trigger, and with only 10x I don't always notice when my crosshairs move during dryfire. I haven't been able to spend too much time behind it with school, but I'm hoping to change that in the next few weeks, so hopefully I'll get the hang of it and fall in love. I know my 5.5-22 MOAR on my bolt gun is (almost) perfect (if only FFP), so I have hope for it. As for the size of the objective, I told myself it wouldn't matter b/c I don't hunt and don't shoot in low light, until I realized that I do because I shoot evenings after class, and mornings where the sun is hidden at times by the clouds or surrounding hills. Unless you're shooting in the middle of the day all the time, or you have great weather and no topography, you may find yourself wishing you had a brighter scope. Although I haven't seen the x42 so I can't comment on how much more light it collects.

I don't think you need a ton of magnification for long range, you need great glass.

I am just testing the NF for review but own a Kahles k312 which replaced my USO 3-17 for shooting out to 1k.

I have not got a chance to shoot the NF at that distance yet as it is hunting season.

I'm running a 2.5-10x32 NF on my SPR, and truth be told I really wish I had more mag, like a 3.5-15x F1. At 10x with the MOAR reticle the line thickness is a little thick, and it for me it makes it difficult to stay centered on target for groups. Granted, for off-hand use, sling-support, barricades, anything where the target is MOA or greater it is great, as it allow for fast acquisition. But, if you really want to drill centers it isn't the easiest. I'm still trying to learn the trigger, and with only 10x I don't always notice when my crosshairs move during dryfire. I haven't been able to spend too much time behind it with school, but I'm hoping to change that in the next few weeks, so hopefully I'll get the hang of it and fall in love. I know my 5.5-22 MOAR on my bolt gun is (almost) perfect (if only FFP), so I have hope for it. As for the size of the objective, I told myself it wouldn't matter b/c I don't hunt and don't shoot in low light, until I realized that I do because I shoot evenings after class, and mornings where the sun is hidden at times by the clouds or surrounding hills. Unless you're shooting in the middle of the day all the time, or you have great weather and no topography, you may find yourself wishing you had a brighter scope. Although I haven't seen the x42 so I can't comment on how much more light it collects.

Try running one minute short. I have my zero stop set at 1 min. low. Use the top of the crosshair at full mag. Helps smoke stuff like 'Know your limits'

Ranger413 was running a 2.5-10x24 NXS on my MK12 Mod 0 for some local shoots, max range 550, well it wasn't cutting it with the targets being not being very big. Kept the NXS but got a MK6 3-18x44, TMR, good reticle, bright glass, lots of features, and still doesn't weigh a lot. Here's a link to a little side by side "size" comparison with the new NF 2.5-10x42mm.
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...e-comparison-nf-2-5-10x42-vs-mk6-3-18x44.html

Ranger413 was running a 2.5-10x24 NXS on my MK12 Mod 0 for some local shoots, max range 550, well it wasn't cutting it with the targets being not being very big. Kept the NXS but got a MK6 3-18x44, TMR, good reticle, bright glass, lots of features, and still doesn't weigh a lot. Here's a link to a little side by side "size" comparison with the new NF 2.5-10x42mm.
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...e-comparison-nf-2-5-10x42-vs-mk6-3-18x44.html

That's exactly where I was going to go next. I started looking at the Mark 6 3-18x44 as an alternative. As was said before, there's only about 3 oz. difference in weight and overall length is similar. For match shooting the extra 8x would definately be an asset. (By the way, I'm shooting prone off the ground from 100 to 500 so this isn't 3-gun type stuff. Just want to keep the scope magnification and size from getting too big as I'm sitting it atop a SCAR 17. Also don't want to make it into a gun I can't possibly tote around the deer woods if I want to.)