• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Which nightforce reticle

GongShow

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2014
Minnesota
New to F class and about to purchase a new night force scope. Considering a 8-32x with MOAR reticle. Which Reticle and power seems to be popular among the more expirenced than I.

NP R-2. Center up your group and the reticle is clear enough for your hold-off while shooting your string.
They have to give you more points if you put all of your shots in the middle.

JMHOFWIW

NP-2DD reticle (12-42x56) and NP-R1 reticle (8-32x56). Either of these, or the NP-R2 listed by cdparker above will work for F-Class. The main difference is that the NP-2DD uses an aiming dot, rather than crosshairs. Because of this it is somewhat less useful for estimating corrections compared to the NP-R1 and NP-R2, which are hashmarked crosshair reticles. A lot is personal preference, so you might take a look at Nighforce's reticle descriptions page. Personally, I'm not too sure about the open aiming center of the MOAR reticle for F-Class. I'd probably need to look through one before deciding whether it would work for my eyes. The rest of it is very similar to the NP-R1/2 reticles.

Last edited:
For F/TR I wouldn't want to use anything besides a NP-2DD. I love that reticle in a BR 8-32x56.

NP-R1 BR has 1/8 min. clicks. Not alot of internal adjustment but that can be gotten around. I have the 8-32x56 and am very pleased with it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am now thinking the NP-R1 is the one I'm getting. It looks to be better for holding wind corrections...at least to me.

If the scope is going to be a f/tr only scope, get a NF comp. model, if it is going to be a multiy purpose scope, go with the 8x32 with the moar reticle.

The NF Competition is a 15-55x52 SFP scope. I have the 2013 model with the CTR-1 reticle. The 2014 have some additional reticle selections and zero stop. Nice scope but limited in application but very good for F class. I will be sending mine back to NF in late spring to have the Zero Stop installed as well as the FCR-1 reticle.

I'm eyeing a new Competition with the FCR-1. Anyone know when they'll hit the stores?

Any day, now.

I really like the Benchrest 12-42x56 with the NP-2DD because it's simple, capable, and easy to use. If you would like a more all-around optic, the NXS 8-32x56 w/ MOAR-T would be great.

I have tried most and have the MOAR on a hunting rifle however it would be too thick for F Class , CH-3 is the perfect reticle which Nightforce have decided to drop , just crazy !

Night force came out with the moar-T reticle this year with thinner lines just to take care of that. unfortunately they didn't put it in the competition. i went with the ddr2. just got it yesterday. now to get it mounted!

2-DD works on 3 F-open rifles for me...find what you like and stick with it.

BTW...one of those open rifles (Elisio chassis) is my p-dog rifle with the same scope used for matches.