• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Which NOD's, helmet mounts, helmets, etc.? Help appreciated here!

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    SHIT! They are driving me crazy. Let me explain.

I have a PASGT helmet. Not using it, it sits in the closet, but does have all the mounts and such. I gave away the skullcrusher (which would have been okay for farting around in the field and yard some). I also seem to have lost the small parts: sacrificial window, daylight pinhole and my favorite, the damn compass! I do, however, have the green heavy duty PVS-14 hard case for some reason.

I have an ACH helmet, same mounts. Issue Norotos Rhino arm, one bolt shroud. If I go this route, I'll put new pads and straps in it (got it at surplus, there is GREAT shit around here from time to time, including real ACH-1 III-A helmets with the up-armor neck inserts). Drawback? ACH-1 only allows for me to use Howard Leight ear pro, and then it is stuffed in there. I'd like a high cut, but standard issue here is ACH-1... Without spending more than $200 (a used ACH-3 high cut would be ideal I suppose). Also, can anyone verify that the ACH-1 issue IS in fact a III-A rated body armor?

I also have a bad back. Any weight savings would be ideal for me. However, the available and lightest one, the Crye Precision Airframe, is $850 + about $600-$700 in mounts and such. I could damn near get the AN/VIS9's or BNVG's or another "lower end" dual tube system and just use it on the ACH-1! Non-ballistic Crye and OPS both were just about as heavy and with fairly high price tags to boot. The little extra for the armor rating and the low added weight just seals the deal --I like multipurpose.

Also, I don't want to look like a wannabe when I use my NODs. I need a good mount, and based on the ballistic protections vs. weight, ballistic only just weighs ounces more than non-ballistic. But like I said, skullcrushers aren't common anymore and the "new" more comfortable models are almost as expensive as helmets. So which high end mounts/shrouds do you guys prefer? VAS shroud with the INVG? or with the AKA2" Or another?

So what would you do? Get the PVS-14 and the straps and pads for the ACH and give it a try? I can always get the other helmet later if need be. Or, based on your experience, would I be better off getting the Crye Precision helmet now and not look back? My wife can use the ACH-1 and even mount NOD's later as she see's fit and has a helmet tweaked for her. If the ACH doesn't work for me, no loss, I pass it on to my wife who it does fit fine. Then I just get the other helmet. No wasted gear.

What would you do/did you do? Crye Precision Airframe looks good as does the OPS Core ballistic helmet... Are there others that work better? I'm looking for actual minimal protection, just armor plate to go over the top of my noggin and expose my ears fully for ear pro. I'd like to be able to lay in prone without back of helmet slide over my eyes. I need a NOD's mount that fully swings the NOD out of the way so it doesn't get beat to shit (the Norotos INVG looked to do this, but costly).

The Bravo and protect helmets are kind of out. Yeah, they are lighter, but only by 1-1.5 lbs., not hardly enough to give up IIIA protection, and I feel the weight, though it isn't much, helps to balance out the NOD's over long periods of use. So basically, would you in the know recommend an ACH-1 (I already have with Norotos Rhino mount, one bolt shroud) the Crye Precision Airframe or the OPS Core IIIA helmet, along with the more expensive mount required for attachment.

I understand buy once, cry once, but in this case, I could very well be happy with either of the setups. So I'd like feeback from those that have tried them. Would most of you recommend just getting the ACH straps and pads, and go ahead and mount up my NOD's to the ACH first? I mean, worst case scenario that I don't like it and have to purchase the high end model later and pass this ACH down to my wife (who actually likes this helmet better than PASGT by far --go figure, huh?).

So what would you frugal buyers do? Upgrade the ACH-1 first as it will be used anyway regardless?

Thanks for reading, thanks for input, and thanks for helping my make this decision. It is a high end purchase and I'd like to get it right the first time. Sure many of you have been down this path one way or another.

Finally, would I be justified in saying "fuck it" that I can get for $7500 a dual pair (AN/VIS9? BNVG? AN/PVS-15? AN/PVS23?, etc.?). I mean, if I stuck with my ACH helmet and got the mount (which are cheaper for some reason than the 14's!?). Would these be superior to the 14's? I hated the 7B/D, btw, and I can't afford the GNPVG's either.

I've already decided the company I'll be doing business with unless one of you drops a bomb on me regarding gear unavailable there (and I still will likely go with them for everything else). Any advice from you guys using or having used it recently, would be appreciated. When I got about ten years ago, PVS-14 3rd gen 2 AA was cutting edge --without PINNACLE tubes.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you guys soon.

Oh, I should mention, I don't really need the ballistic protection, per se, but considering the weight difference, I suppose why not? I also have no desire to go play army with a bunch of armor against imaginary targets or zombie shoots. I would, however, like to have a good, stable mount that is worth the money overall, maybe multipurpose, and noggin protection isn't out of the picture entirely --I did take some good spills on dark, overcast, foggy nights in dense woods. Where I'll likely be using 'em.

I'm not so concerned with how folks perceive me, so if one of those Crye helmets is the way to go, I will. And my wife doesn't mind wearing the ACH to use the NOD's (she just wants to be able to use them from time to time, and not like either of us are going about in public looking like that).

And I may find a suitable skullcrusher for backyard use at surplus stores, but for here, for all practical purposes, I'm interested in what folks recommend mounting mostly their PVS-14's to (helmets and mounts). Crye? Ops? Another? The INVG or the Wilcox G24(?) --what do folks like best, or does it matter much if you have, like I said, an ACH, mil shroud and rhino mount?

If you don't need ballistic protection I would look at a team wendy, otherwise crye is my favorite by far, if you happen to find yourself in the air it doesn't act like a parachute due to the vent.

My favorite setup is the BNVD's and Team Wendy Carbon helmet using AKA2 mount. With this setup I can do anything from targeting with IR laser, driving ATV/Truck, use both tubes so I can walk more/drive/judge range more natural since you have depth in your FOV flip one side up for a mono allowing one eye to be adjusted to night for tactical concerns you could have sometimes. As you can see its like having the best of everything helmet mounted. For a lite weight no frills work horse the PVS-14/Ops core base jump/INVG mount combo is hard to beat you loose some of the dual tube benefits of the BNVG's such as less eye strain, depth in your FOV and so on but half the price for the 14 and a 14 is one of the best NV systems out there if you can only have one NV system. As far as dual Bino's I started with ANVIs-9's and now have BNVD's pinnacle tubes and PVS-15's with L3 filmless M890 tubes. The main benefit for a dual tubed bino for me is I can just move better/more naturally and I get less eye strain after several hours of use. If I am sitting in a stand viewing or making a short hike through the woods I perfer to just have a PVS-14.

Last edited:
    We are happy with the Wilcox Shroud & Lanyard combination (over opscore or norotos). Lightweight and yet sturdy.

The Norotos INVG mount works great for your PVS-14 (for the above mentioned reason of folding against the helmet) Do not forget you will need a Norotos Dovtail adapter for your PVS-14 if your purchase the INVG. The INVG is more popular than the AKA2. However, if you do decide to go with a dual tube system we recommend the Wilcox G24 Mount over the INVG. Stability and the folding againt the helmet is not as effective when it is a dual set up. The Wilcox G70 kit is the L4 G24 Mount, Shroud & Lanyard. We tend to sell more Wilcox set ups. People like the Wilcox breakaway feature and the ease of adjustment. For a PVS-14 you would need a Wilcox J-Arm which has increased adjustment and stability over the USGI J-Arm.

We are located outside of Fort Carson and have frequent traffic of soldiers who upgrade their ACH/MICH helmets with Team Wendy EPIC Air Helmet Liners and BOA Retention systems. For wearing your helmet for a long period of time, comfort and stability is a must. They also offer added protection and "breathability." Basically you should not sweat to death in the summer. However, if you are in western washington, you should not have to worry about that as much. In addition for weight / balance you should look into EOG Explosive OPSGear Counter Weights. Short or long depending on if you decide to go with a PVS-14 or a Dual set up. Weight is removable and they conform to your helmet. This will help reduce strain because you will not be top heavy. Luckly they are about $35.

If you do decide to purchase a PVS-14 and then wish you had a dual system - There are mounts and soon to be released mounts that will allow you to bridge your PVS-14's together. Same weight as the PVS-15's.

If you decide on the "bump helmet" route we recommend the Team Wendy.

Strykervet,

The TC-series ACH/MICH helmets are all threat level IIIa rated per NIJ standards. I understand that the TC-series produced by MSA is now under different naming, such as "A1" for what used to be "TC-2002". If you can get the mid-cut helmet (A1, TC-2002), I think you'll find that to be a good compromise on protective head coverage and weight, and they will work fine with Peltor Comtacs for hearing protection and comms.

The bicycle helmet type helmets are much lighter and much cooler (better ventilated), but my line of business is not recreational, so I'm opting to not provide advice or thoughts there except to say that you probably wouldn't want your wife to be wearing a full ballistic helmet for recreational activities such as night time observation of wildlife. The ballistic helmets get rather heavy once the NODs, mounts, and ballast are added on, and people who are less fit or less strong (in their neck and shoulders) are much more prone to develop neck fatigue and injuries with the ACH / MICH or PASGT ballistic helmets on extended use.

That said, however, I much prefer the default pads and straps that come standard with the ACH helmet. The Ops-Core straps are best used with a lighter weight helmet system like the ones they manufacture, and the more complex pad systems with underlying foam don't really add any more protection against concussion than the standard pads. About the only thing that I recommend changing is to go with the split pads at the dome of the helmet if you're going to use hearing protection or comm sets that use an over-the-head band. Suspension type interiors are far more comfortable and give better air circulation, but they allow too much helmet movement for rappelling or air jump activities to be safe, in my opinion.

For helmet mounts for NV optics, I am very partial to the Norotos INVG, which is extremely sturdy and wobble free, and provides exceptionally strong and steady support for heavier optics cantilevering from your head -- such as PVS-14 with COTI. The INVG's strength is mostly with monocular NV scopes in my opinion. For example, it stows the PVS-14 much closer to the helmet than just about any other competing solution. When used with NV binocular goggles, the INVG's inherent advantages are diminished.

All in all, I recommend, for you -- if you have occupational credentials as military or LE: ACH TC-2002 / A1 mid-cut helmet with default pads (except two pads in place of the center dome pad if using head sets) and default head straps; Norotos INVG with three-hole base plate (make sure to specify 3-hole for helmet also if going this route); and PVS-14 with dual dovetail interface.

IR-V

Last edited:
    Since you seem to be leaning towards the ballistic side of things, I would highly recommend the AirFrame (if you can at all fit it in the budget). I currently run an AirFrame and will honestly say that the weight savings is substantial and it is much more comfortable to wear over a long period of time due to the passive venting that is built into the shell. I'll speak from experience rather than give you a sales pitch. I have worn a lot of helmets in my time in all sorts of weather: extreme heat, extreme cold, high altitude and low. Usually, there was a night vision device and other kit attached to said helmet. The thing you want to remember is that your gear should be working for you, not the other way around. If you are wearing a helmet that does not provide a sufficient level of comfort, you are going to be hating life. You might put the helmet on and think that it is comfortable, but after about an hour of movement, you will start feeling every little hotspot and every ounce of weight. In fact, I firmly believe that one of the biggest contributing factors of our guys getting injured is the fact that they are weighted down with too much shit that makes them so miserable that they concentrate on the discomfort rather than their situational awareness. Crye Precision goes above and beyond with their designs, integrating research and feedback from SOF units into their gear. Their human factors are unsurpassed.

But, as you mentioned, they are expensive. The AirFrame is well worth the money if you are willing to spend it. The passive cooling keeps your head cool, so you don't cook your brain while the weight helps save your back and neck. But, it does provide enough base weight to help act as a counterweight to your PVS-14. I don't like running counterweights on ballistic helmets unless I have a heavier dual tube system.

The mount issue is pretty easy. For your PVS-14, I would highly suggest the Wilcox L4 G11 ARMY Mount that just won the new contract to replace the legacy Rhino Mount. It requires no new adapters and will accept the J-Arm that comes with the PVS-14 right out of the box. It offers a ton of adjustment and features a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.

Yeah, thanks a lot for your time and help. You guys really spent the time on the phone, online, emails, etc. and I know you Mr. Clasky, went above and beyond. I spent two weeks researching this, called you guys and talked totals of hours, called ITT, called other dealers, and just decided I wanted to do business with folks that, like me, have used this stuff before. Knowing I wanted to avoid J-arms and go lighter than ACH based on experience, you guys helped me negotiate the plethora of mounts out today and the options available and I was able to comfortably go with the following:

ITT PVS-14 Night Enforcer NH hand select from Omni 7 contracts. Requested Vic select it, said not to worry about time, just send me a winner.

The Crye Precision Airframe helmet with rails, cover and VAS shroud.

Norotos INVG mount and dovetail. What can I say? Rock solid, looks much, much better than the issue type stuff I have.

Surefire M500 grip weapon IR/LED replacement head. $200 is a lot cheaper than a new one of these, and gives a new lease on life to this thing.

I feel comfortable that I ordered the best gear I could find and I truly dug as hard and deep as I could to find the best 14 at non-gouging prices. I feel this helmet is the lightest I could find and I feel it will fit snugly, and that mount shouldn't wobble like the old ones did. And doing away with the J-arm? Good riddance. Thanks again for your help, and when I can save up for it, I'll be contacting you about the clip ons.