• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which NX8 for 6 ARC?

Kathil

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2022
US
I'm building a 6 ARC AR15 with an 18" proof carbon fiber barrel. I'm into long range shooting, so I will take advantage of the 1100 yard supersonic range of the round (and potentially try to push it much further if I can find a range with that opportunity). I'm trying to decide between the 2.5-20 and the 4-32 NX8 as primary optic. I'll also run an offset RDS for close in shots. I like my rifles lightweight, so I shave weight where it makes sense to (like dropping a pound with the CF barrel). I'll be running a PRS lite stock. The 4-32 is only 1oz heavier and about $100 more. Which way should I go? What's the minimum practical usable magnification on the 4-32? If it's worthless under 8x for example, I'd go with the 2.5-20. But if 5 or 6x is usable, I'd prefer to have the higher end available for spotting my own impacts when mirage and weather allow cranking it up above 20x.

Reactions: QT101
I did a 4-32. Love having the ability to have 32x when needed. Was not impressed with the 2.5-20. Found the 4-32 to have better eye box and clarity. Have heard they made positive changes to the 2.5-2.0. IMO you should compare before buying.

Reactions: Kathil and YotaEer
I have both and like both a lot. They’re FFP mil-xt. What’s your definition of usable? To me its being able to see the reticle well enough to shoot game at closer distances and I believe both will do that for me, I think the mil-xt does a good job at low power of giving me a basic reticle to center.

If your definition of usable is being able to use the tree then that’s probably 8x.

Reactions: Kathil and Cutout
I'd go 4-32x50 MIL-XT if it were me...

Whichever route you go, the MIL-XT is the best reticle NF offers, so I'd for sure go that route.

Reactions: Kathil
I have the NF NX8 2.5-20 on a gun and I really like it. If you want more I think they make a 4-32 in the nx8 line and I'm also wanting to try the vortex razor 6-36 (I love my 1-10) .

I would go for the 4-32x if you're going to have an offset red dot.

Red dot will cover anything thats point and shoot. The better optical quality, mag range, DOF etc. of the 32x model will help on the longer stuff. Only 1" and 1 oz difference in size from the 20x

I'm building a 6 ARC AR15 with an 18" proof carbon fiber barrel. I'm into long range shooting, so I will take advantage of the 1100 yard supersonic range of the round (and potentially try to push it much further if I can find a range with that opportunity). I'm trying to decide between the 2.5-20 and the 4-32 NX8 as primary optic. I'll also run an offset RDS for close in shots. I like my rifles lightweight, so I shave weight where it makes sense to (like dropping a pound with the CF barrel). I'll be running a PRS lite stock. The 4-32 is only 1oz heavier and about $100 more. Which way should I go? What's the minimum practical usable magnification on the 4-32? If it's worthless under 8x for example, I'd go with the 2.5-20. But if 5 or 6x is usable, I'd prefer to have the higher end available for spotting my own impacts when mirage and weather allow cranking it up above 20x.

I'd recommend the 4-32 as it performs better overall in the typical magnification ranges that people use, and you can order an Open Box at a screaming price right now :)

The subtentions don't need to be usable on 4x as long as the crosshair is visible. Anything that requires a more specific hold is going to be on higher magnification anyway. 4-32 it is. Thanks gents!

i own both and you will be happy with either.