• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Optic for 5R $500

groundhogbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
Western NC
I was looking at Vortex optics, and have heard good things, and the clarity is great. For LR is a 10x sufficient? I was looking at the PST, and regular Viper. I can get more power with the plain Vortex Viper 1", and I'm fixed on 2nd Focal plane, in MOA. It will be a paper punching, and LR whitetail gun, and probably nothing past 600yds. Any other suggestions? I have a Leupy 6.5-25 on my LR AR, and a 6-18 on my SVSSFII (22-250) and just recently a Weaver Tactical 3-15 on my 243 SPS in FFP. I guess I will trade my new ACOG in on the optic to SWFA, because if I trade they will do $850. Main ? is "10x enough to 5/600yds?"

Re: Which Optic for 5R $500

Sorry Mods, can you move this to the optic section. I thought that is where I placed it.

10x is enough for tactical shooting and hunting.

You will find yourself wishing for more magnification for paper punching.

If you are on a budget a vortex viper 1" 6.5-20 would probably be your best bet.

Thank you much for your comment. I was thinking that one or the 6-18 Leupy VX2. But I do have a 10 yo Weaver K 15 still in the box, I traded some stereo equip for it years ago, and haven't opened it yet, no tellin what all I have in those crates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10x is enough for tactical shooting and hunting.

You will find yourself wishing for more magnification for paper punching.

If you are on a budget a vortex viper 1" 6.5-20 would probably be your best bet. </div></div>

x2 for the paper out to 600. At least 15x, preferably 20 if you can swing it in your budget.

The new mil/mil ss scopes are a great scope for the money. and you would have some left over!

I would look at the Bushnell 10X, SS 10X or One of the Midway Weaver tactical 3-10x40. Bushnell has some rebates right now to boot.

I just put one of the Midway Weavers on my 10/22 and it looks like a fine piece of glass. Picked it up from a Hide member for $250 shipped with BC caps and Weaver tactical rings.

Here is my fixed power 10xSS....Very impressed so far

ss1.jpg

The Vortex Viper HS 5-15X that Midway USA sells is right at $500 and looks like a good scope for the money. I think it has the same turrets as my Viper PST, which I have found to be excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunmike1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vortex Viper HS 5-15X that Midway USA sells is right at $500 and looks like a good scope for the money. I think it has the same turrets as my Viper PST, which I have found to be excellent. </div></div>

I've been very impressed with mine so far. Matching turret/reticle is a very nice feature. The SWFA SS also has mil/mil.

10x is plenty for 600 yards. I know people who shoot 10x past 1000 yards regularly. I personally like around 15x on the top end, though, if it's a variable scope.

Can get the 6.5-20 w/ 30mm tube for less than $500 at SWFA. Gonna be mostly punching paper, but will take to a shoot or two. 5R is on order, and I just put 15rds down the tube of the AR15 I had built. Kinda sick now, as the thing printed a flippin .287 @100 with 55's. Didn't think it would be much of a shooter hence the 16" and M4 brrl. Down to lil over a dozen AR15 platforms, and wondering if I should have kept the AR and nixed the 5R order. This thing better shoot. Never fooled alot with the .308 cal, but after snooping around on here for a cpl years looks like the .308 and 5R is a shooter. Can get the PST Vortex, but have to drop to 10x. it's hard for a former BR shooter, with a 22-30x optic. But still haven't made the deal yet. But probably will. ACOG is an awesome optic, just never got around to mounting this one yet, but when and if I sale a gun, I replace it with a gun, hope the 5R performs.