• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing which paint ?

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
I have a hk usc that i am going to have cut down and a ump flange installed on it and then have it black oxided, I also have 3 front rails for the usc receiver. the barrel flange will see allot of wear from both a muzzle break and a suppressor, I have though about just getting it oxided and leaving it, then though about flat krylon black, and then flat KG ceramic black, the paint must be thin because the muzzle brake sits pretty snugly on the flange.

i also have the 3 front rails, they see allot of wear even with no lights the edges get worn pretty quickly, so again krylon or KG paint... both will eventually chip and wear and i will be painting all over again so thats why i kinda am leading tword the krylon, but i have kg coated a ak 74 and tones of 74 mags and after you bake it the paint has a really "pro" look to it.

so should i paint or not paint the barrel and if so krylon or kg ?

and krylon or kg the forearm rails ?

Re: which paint ?

Cerakote that bad boy, then you won't to worry bout chips and scratches.

Nicindustries.com its a coating.. google it i think its the next best thing since sliced bread I have a bolt on a REM700 coated with the stuff.

Look up cerakote on here as well you'll see pics its rugged stuff..

I didn't get any work thru those guys they're advertisers on here.

Have to look at what you really want, weight your options:

Krylon-Cheap, easy to find, touch up in a snap without baking, will wear much easier than KG, will be subject to chemicals (Hoppes) unlike KG. Can be applied right in the field. Not rust/oxidation resistant as good as KG

KG: wears better than Krylon, as long as you use thin coats I have never had an issue with it chipping or pealing (Prep is everything!!!) When it wears you can touch it up but then have to bake it on (I have used a hair drier for small touch ups and have found pretty decent results). You have to have good prep to apply KG then Bake it. Costs a little more. Professional Results.

I found KG applies really good over black oxide. Again, as long as your prep is really thorough.

It really depends on what you want....

Robb

honestly i think i will go KG mainly cause the cerakote seems hard to buy.. i went to that websight and you have to log in to get a price.

if its cheaper or about the same price as the kg 3400 i would like to try it

Brownells has it in their #62 catalog on page 368. To buy direct fron NIC you will need to set up an account. Graphite Black is #100-003-857ac if you search on their web page. This will take you to all the available colors that Brownells offers. Good luck.

get ergo grips low pro rail covers, these should greatly reduce the wear and also are very discrete. Ceracote is a very thin layer of paint but will be the most durable and long lasting you will ever find. They sell a kind that you can just spray and let dry vs. having to put stuff in your house oven above the meatloaf.
My personal opinion and i have painted rifles, its an HK one of the most reliable companies in firearms. It is a tool used to kill, and like all tools, it will eventually show wear and tear. dont paint it, it gives it flavor, makes it yours...shoot it till the paint falls off.

just my opinion