• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which PLRF TO Purchase

Coyote Caller

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2014
I am ordering a new Vectronix PLRF but am not sure which model would be better, the 10 or 15 for what I want it to range. Plan on using it for small targets (ground squirrels) in the spring summer & fall and also for coyotes in the fall & winter (snow). It seems for ranging vegetation and snow, the better one would be the 10 due to the wavelength of 905nm which is supposed to be more reflective than the 1550nm on the 15. Also the 10 has a smaller beam divergence. Price is a non factor between the two as there is only a couple of hundred dollars difference with the increase going to the 10.
Anyway I would appreciate any insight from those in the know.

Thanks

Sounds like the PLRF10 will be perfect for your needs. I use mine exactly as you describe and have been very happy with it.

I just ordered the PLRF 25C. It only hurt when I wrote the check. I thought about the 10c or 15c but in the end I got the 25c.

Recieved my PLRF-15 this week. Had a Terrapin briefly but the dealer I bought from recieved a shipment of 15's and 15C's that he was able to offer at an awesome price. I sent back the Terrapin and paid the difference on a new 15. Hand held I easily ranged buildings at 3900+ meters. Best of the day was 3997m.
Game size targets at any shootable distance will not present a problem to either unit. Get whicher you can get the best deal on.

Apparently something new is coming, there are a lot of tight lips on the subject though, can't get a lot of info

Recieved my PLRF-15 this week. Had a Terrapin briefly but the dealer I bought from recieved a shipment of 15's and 15C's that he was able to offer at an awesome price. I sent back the Terrapin and paid the difference on a new 15. Hand held I easily ranged buildings at 3900+ meters. Best of the day was 3997m.
Game size targets at any shootable distance will not present a problem to either unit. Get whicher you can get the best deal on.

i have the 15c and its pretty amazing. if its clear and on building size tragets it will do just over 6k yards. pretty amazing for such a small unit. how much was the dealer offering the 15 and 15c for?

If possible get the 10c, with the angle and compass measurements and being able to connect it to a pda gives you alot more options than the regular 10 or15. I was thinking about the 15c aswell, but in the end people with experience also advised me against the 15 for the laser wavelenght as stated above, so we got the 10cs.
But, wheter you buy the 10c, 15c or 25c...it will leave your cool looking ACI useless. ;)

i have the 15c and its pretty amazing. if its clear and on building size tragets it will do just over 6k yards. pretty amazing for such a small unit. how much was the dealer offering the 15 and 15c for?

Sorry for the late reply,

I wont post the price but it was close enough to a Terrapin that the small difference in price made it a no brainer. I had it out this past weekend and am very happy I upgraded. Noticeable difference in recovery time between readings and less missed readings in hazy/less than ideal conditions. Asthetics and ergonomics were a little nicer on the Terrapin though, this thing is pretty utilitarian but built like a tank.

Vectronix/Terrapin Vendor

Sorry for the late reply,

I wont post the price but it was close enough to a Terrapin that the small difference in price made it a no brainer. I had it out this past weekend and am very happy I upgraded. Noticeable difference in recovery time between readings and less missed readings in hazy/less than ideal conditions. Asthetics and ergonomics were a little nicer on the Terrapin though, this thing is pretty utilitarian but built like a tank.

Could you please shed light on the vendor in a PM?

Thanks!

SD

Mile High just posted on FB that they have a couple of PLRF10's and a couple of terrapins for sale.

Answered a bunch of PM's. Vendors price has gone up and no longer has 15's in stock.
Didnt want to post name (non supporting dealer). Sorry guys.

If you are shooting a rifle the Terrapin will handle pretty much everything you will likely shoot. You can spend more for more range but not sure what you will do with the additional ranging capability as a precision, long range shooter. If you want the bells and whistles for azimuth/elevation and a digital link to the PDA, the PLRF10-C should cover it. You can get more range with bigger targets but I really think the 10C is a the next best price-point choice. If you include the 5-year warranty for buying it now it makes a lot of sense. BTW, folks who bought the Terrapins in 2014 get the same 5-year warranty - not a bad deal.

The 10 is a solid rangefinder. I'll never need another one. I've had it submerged, muddy, wet, and dusty. Washed it right off with soap and water and it's brand new. Works like a charm. Furthest I've ranged is 2228 yards, furthest kill shot was 322 yards. Hoping to extend that this hunting season.

If you want the bells and whistles for azimuth/elevation and a digital link to the PDA, the PLRF10-C should cover it. You can get more range with bigger targets but I really think the 10C is a the next best price-point choice.

You're not kidding. I just got a 10C and the bells and whistles have little bells and whistles on them. It has features that are for directing indirect fire and it can range the distance from an offset position.

It will easily range buildings and trees at 2200 yards when hand held.

It can connect with a Trimble Nomad running FFS Delta, and you can generate a range card by ranging targets one after the other.

Ranged a rock face on a mountain side at 5487m a couple weeks ago. Hand held with PLRF-15 in ideal morning conditions. Unreal performance!!

3e7d1440d7168d460935174f28e4fa02.jpg

These terrapins really are incredible. This is an 80' wooden pole, roughly 16" wide half way up.

51a871fecbdb62fc7bed814ae0dc2425.jpg

Second pic was just pinging a tree line. Makes hitting those plates at 13-1400 yds seem.....well....easy. Laughin'!

Last edited:
i hit this 20ft wide light house first try. its not just about beam divergance, its about the sensitivity of the sensors in the unit.

Plrf 15c hand held.

9acd03df2f134e7403aef5f2a07a2969.jpg

I wonder if battery power has any influence on the ranging? Like a new battery compared to a 1 year old with like 2000 ranges on it?
I have the Terrapin and am very happy with it.
Elmer

You really cant go wrong with Vectronix!! I have the Vector IV and the Terrapin . The Terrapin has ranged 4340 yards to light colored rocks and the Vector IV 5507 yards to the side of a mountain! Both were of the hood of a Toyota 4x4 with no tripod!