• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Progressive Press for Rifle Cartridges?

mclevela

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2007
Moorcroft, Wyoming
I am considering a progressive press for reloading rifle cartridges from the .222 RM to the .338 Win Mag. If I had to load for one cartridge on the progressive it would be the .260 Rem.
Which do you recommend?
What are the needed accessories?
How much do they increase your loading productivity?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Which Progressive Press for Rifle Cartridges?

I use a Dillon RL550B. Bought it used around '93; it's the only press I've ever owned. So far, the only press I've ever needed/wanted. I load for Deuce through .30-'06/.280 Rem. That same press has also made several tens of thousands of pistol cartridges as well as maybe nearly literally a ton of .223 and .308 back when it was used as our MCL Detachment Shooting Team press. Functionally, it works just like it did when I first acquired it. I'll tell you straight out, aside from the powder measure being a bit vague with stick powders, it's flawless; and the Dillon warrantee is bulletproof. There are no issues with it that prevent me from making consistent and accurate 1000yd .260 Rem cartridges on it.

Greg

I use the Hornady LnL AP. I thought about going to the Dillon's but I could only afford 1 progressive (space and money considerations). The features on the Hornady mimic the Dillon 650 with the auto-advance, powder check die and auto eject but it retains the stroke length that allows for mag rounds to be loaded if need be like the D550B does.

I also really like the Lock N Load bushing system and converted my "old tech" Rockchucker over for ease.

I load everything from 9mm through 30-06 on my LnL AP and I can switch between 9mm and 30-06 in about 10 mins. If I don't have to change primer sizes (like 9mm to 223) then it can be done in about 5min.

It's not very good for loading bulky stick powders through the charge thrower. I load match grade 223's with BLC-2 through it, the stuff I use for long range matches I still run through the single stage. I have easily trickled a load, poured the charge into the case and then used the progrssive features to load the rest of the cases, but I don't bother usually because I'm starting from primed brass.

You can do 260's on it for sure, I did some last night with varmint bullets. I also siphoned off about 75 pieces of sized, primed, ready to load brass to trickle the charges in for a match on Saturday. It took about 15 mins to setup, size, and prime the fired brass from the last match. Trickling the loads and seating the bullets will take another hour to 75 mins to do on the single stage.

Times with the Dillon are comparable, as is the approach to match loading. The 550 has manual case advance, which I happen to prefer as it seems to help when I'm not running in "full progressive mode".

One of the key productivity advantages, IMHO, is the lack of a necessity to break down the dies when going to another chambering. By employing the interchangeable toolhead or Lock-n-Load bushing, adjustments made once are retained for later sessions. Long-term consistency is the result.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

One of the key productivity advantages, IMHO, is the lack of a necessity to break down the dies when going to another chambering. By employing the interchangeable toolhead or Lock-n-Load bushing, adjustments made once are retained for later sessions. Long-term consistency is the result.
</div></div>

I completely agree. Once the initial setup is done I'd venture to say that 4 of the estimated 5 min switch time comes from setting the charge weight. Hornady makes some snap in micrometer set thrower inserts, I don't own any but I would guess you could switch calibers in about 60-90s with everything ready to go.

Another vote for the Dillon 550. Rock solid machine. Although I reload all of my match .308 the old fashioned way, all my pistol loadings are on the 550. Without running too fast, 300-350 rds. per hour is easy.

For caliber conversions, I will say the Hor LNL is very nice. I use the Dillon 650, and it's great for cranking out lots of ammo. But it takes a long time to do a caliber conversion on the 650.

I'm using the Dillon XL650. Right now for 45 acp and 223. #08 will probably happen this fall. But for the 308 I'm considering using my Harrell's powder measure for the charges.

There are a few different changes I would like to make to the 650. I just haven't taken the time to do it. We've been spending a lot of time with our grandkids lately.

I've got the Hornady and load 300 Win, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt. I still prime off the press so I'm not really running it full progressive, but its nice to size/decap and expand the case mouth with one pull of the lever (runnig 2 dies) for the handgun brass. That's 50% less work right there compared to a single stage. For the 300 I weigh each charge so I'm using the press as a single stage. That is the beauty of a progressive in my mind. You can use it as a progressive or a single-stage, or somewhere in between.

Progressives are fine for pistol and rifle:

Experienced re-loaders
If your in the 500 Rounds or more a month club, pistol or rifle.

Progressives are not fine for:

Case Forming Chores
Rounds longer than 3.7" usually
Reloading/firing 250 rounds or less per month
Beginners - Oh, they can use a progressive alright, but they just make mistakes at a faster pace.......
smile.gif

In short, Progressives are built for speed, and for reloading in quantity. When you reload in smaller batches, or reload odd cartridges (try loading a 9.3x74 Rimmed on a Dillon 550), save your money, buy a single or one of the better turret presses (like the Redding T7).

Full disclosure, I had a Dillon for a few years and gave it to my Bother-in-Law when I stopped shooting pistol rounds in mega quantities. They do work fine, but I was running a Dillon, a Lyman T-Mag, and a RCBS A-4 Big Max, at the same time, so I had other alternatives to the Dillon, as my needs changed.

YMMV, IMHO,

Bob

Bob, I am like you. I load large amounts of .45acp on a dillon Square Deal B. I have a Dillon 550 that I have not set up for anything yet. I intended to load .223 on it but I don't shoot my AR much. I may set it up for .308.
Right now I am loading .308 on an old RCBS Rockchucker. I also just inherited an old Lyman turret press. I may set up the turret for 7.5x55 and 6.5x55.

Since there are a few extra steps for rifle brass I haven't started using a progressive for them, but I might. I am thinking hard about using the 550 for .308.

I am out of room on my bench, so no more presses.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering a progressive press for reloading rifle cartridges from the .222 RM to the .338 Win Mag. If I had to load for one cartridge on the progressive it would be the .260 Rem.
Which do you recommend?
What are the needed accessories?
How much do they increase your loading productivity? </div></div>

Every reloader, at some point in time (or another) needs a single stage press.
Only those reloaders that do more than 50-200 cartriges at a time need a progressive.

Me, I do 100 at a time (evening) with a single stage without regret.

Note: the word is 'need' not 'want'.
In the catagory of single stage presses, it pretty much does not mater which one you happen to like, I just happen to have a Redding.

Another definite vote for the 550B. I'll never own a single stage press. Nothing against them - the Dillon does everything I need - including single loading using a redding BR powder measure for loading 10 to 15 rds at a time. Used this setup quite a bit when developing loads for my 308. I load 308 for 600 yd and tactical matches "semi" progressively; depriming, FL resizing and repriming in one step followed by a quick trim in the giraud. I then charge and seat in a second step. 223 for my AR and 45 ACP are loaded fully progressively. Great machine for sure. My strategy is to spend minimal time reloading and maximum trigger time ...

I did add a uniquetek measure and baffle and polished the powder funnel for both by pistol and rifle toolheads. Did also ream the 223 powder drop to prevent varget from bridging - NBD at all. Varget, RL15, 4895, bullseye and all ball powders meter better than my redding. YMMV

Not familiar with RL-15 specifically, but accuracy with conventional stick powders is in the .1-.2gr range. This variance seems to remain constant despite powder charge size, so this makes stick powders rather more desirable for larger cases than for small ones.

I prefer powders like BLC-2 and W-748 for smaller cases like .222 and .223. Case neck size has some bearing on the issue.

H-4350 is considered an 'SC' (short cut) stick powder, meters somewhat better than teh average stock powder, and is my 'go-to' powder for .260 and .280. I use IMR-4064 for .30-'06 and would for .308 if I had any.

At any rate, I believe in weighing charges for precision rifle ammunition anyway; so this negates the issue of powder measure accuracy.

While it may not be relied upon to deliver a consistently perfect charge, it <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> be counted upon to deliver one that's consistently a smidge greater than the desired charge, and that's what I do. I then dump the charge into the scale's pan, pinch out enough to be light, and trickle back until the scale gets bingo. The excess is released into a small catch cup and the pan gets dumped through a drop tube and back into the case.

Presto, perfect charges every time, and no doubts about any of them. My reasons for weighing each charge are rather more about the latter than the former anyway. It lends a degree of confidence that aids in the actual marksmanship process.

Greg

I have the Hornady LnL AP. Its easy to use and quick to change over. It doesn't do best on stick powder, but its deviation is small enough that it is fine for my normal loading. My neighbor sports a Dillon 650 with all the trimmings and he seems to spend much more time changing things over; however, he is very happy with it.

In all honesty if you are only loading for bolt rifles I would go single stage press as you aren't likely to load a rifle round through all stages in one go around. If I'm working for precision I neck size and deprime in one pass, clean the brass again, put it back into the LnL for priming, manually powder the cases, then seat the bullet. In effect it is a quasi single stage for such loading and it does a good job but isn't likely to speed up rifle loading much. I shoot a ton of 9mm and it is great for that though.

There is some good forums on here for what equipment you will need in addition too the press for reloading. If you don't already have a reloading setup I would figure your initial costs could easily surpass $1k. For the LnL specific accessories you will need a good table to mount it on, a pack or two of die bushings, and shell plate holders. Its good to get a back up case retaining springs too (although mine has never broken).

Bought a new 550b back in '95, before the internet and DVDs, so I self taught myself using their manual, the monthly HANDGUNS reloading articles and the Speer and Nosler manuals.

I do lots of target grade rifle rounds and five or six pistol cartridges and it's been fine. I've needed a small part here and there, but it's usually shipping as I hang up the phone, gratis. I'm still using my 15 year old Dillon CV-500 case tumbler and while the bearing is loosening up, it's still cleaning dirty brass.

I see Midway has the Lee Classic Cast Iron O-Frame on sale and I've been mulling over getting a SS to do some of the mundane chores, but even at $78, it's tough to justify. The 550b, as well as the Hornady L&L, RCBS and Redding progressives really are the way to go.

Chris

I've had a Dillon 550 for about 15 years. I've not used the LNL, but I have read many good things on them. I do like the LNL powder measure better then the Dillon powder measure. I have the LNL powder measure hooked to my Dillon 550.

The LNL PM has many advantages. The cylindrical metering chamber works better for extruded powders than the rectangular Dillon chamber. The LNL PM metering inserts are interchangeable without tools, so you can swap pre-adjusted metering inserts quickly, and without having to empty the PM of powder first. Or you can install the Hornady micrometer inserts and dial up your charge. You can swap powder bars on the Dillon, but it takes tools and you have to empty the PM first, which means you have to remove it from the press. The LNL PM can be emptied (using a drain insert instead of a metering insert) while it is still on the press, again without tools.

The LNL PM can also be used in any station (as long as the case has been primed), so you can have two or more steps before dumping powder. So, you could use a lube die and a FL sizer, or a separate body and neck dies, etc. while reloading in one pass on the LNL. The Dillon PM linkage only works in the 2nd station, so if you need to perform more than one operation prior to dumping powder, you need to run through the press twice, with two different tool heads.

The easily, individually changeable dies on the LNL allow you to quickly substitute a neck die for a FL die, or a different seater, etc. Rifle reloading more often requires "tweaks" to the reloading process, and the LNL is more amenable to making these changes.

Andy

I've been using Dillion since they came out with the 450 many years ago. Now use the 550B. For bulk reloading of rifle ammo for my class III weapons and pistol powder it's great. But for precision loads for any other of my rifles I have to use it in the semi mode not using the Dillion powder measure (I use the RCBS 1500 ChargeMaster) as It doesn't drop precise loads especially with stick powder or flake powder. The powder measure is the weak point in the 550B.

I've been using the 550B since the early 90's. In the few instances when I've broken or lost some piece the good folks at Dillon have been absolutely great about replacing it. No ifs ands or buts, just parts in the mail and "thank you sir for using Dillon"

Dillon 1050 with an RCBS powder measure (with baffle) and the hornady auto-activate linkage. Mine is the standard 1050 and .308 length is the max I can go on it.

Dillon makes great stuff. The slide action powder measure works well with pistol powders but I find the RCBS measure is much more accurate for rifle loading.

I load rifle and pistol on a RCBS Pro 2000. I've had it for right at 10 years. Never had to pay for a part. For most rifle, I'm using it like a single stage. For .308 or .223 with ball powder and all pistol rounds you can conservatively load 400/hour (the guy from RCBS says 675 but I can't match it). For .223 I load 25.0 TAC with 55 grain Nosler Ballistic tip and the micrometer powder measure with baffle is always within .1 grains. I've loaded over 5,000 rounds of .223 this year alone. I load .338 RUM, .325 WSM, .300 Win Mag, .270 Weatherby Mag, .270 Winchester, .25-06, 30-06, .243 Winchester, .308, .257 Roberts, 5.7x28, .223, 300 WSM, 7mm Mag, 7mm-08, 6BR, 30BR,.22-250, .220 Swift, .204 Ruger, .45 ACP, .357 Mag, .357 sig, .40 S&W, .45 Long Colt, .50 AE, .500 S&W, 9mm and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting but you can see it's quite versatile.

I've ordered a Forster Co-Ax since I'm loading 6BR for benchrest but not sure why as my runout has been less than .002" with the progressive. I finally decided I just have to try one if for nothing else but comparison. I gave a Rockchucker away 5 years ago and I also own an old Pacific single stage. For swaging cases or pulling bullets with collet puller or some other operations, you still need a single stage.

I have found that in only ever having the RL550B, I have never felt the need for a single stage. IMHO the RL550 (and perhaps the lower numbers as well) adapt very easily and smoothly to non-progressive loading techniques, and in fact, I seldom mass produce ammunition in full progressive mode.

This is partly due to my personal insistence on <span style="font-style: italic">knowing</span> that each propellant charge is precise. It is also due to my preference not to stockpile and store ammuniton for significant lengths of time. I just find that accuracy falls off and suspect there's something going on with neck tension/pull force over extended storage periods.

For 'blaster ammo' this is not an issue, but then, I seldom bother making blaster ammo. I have the SKS and Wolf for that sorta thing. There's also the 10/22 and the Fed/Rem bulk pack stuff. In the past half dozen years most of my 'plinking' has been done at Woodchucks, mostly with .22LR.

Greg