• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Redding Die Set

powereng

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
West Michigan
I'm thinking of getting back into reloading now that my life has settled down a bit. I'm looking at of purchasing a Forester Co-Ax press because I will mainly be reloading precision 308 ammo. From what I read on this site Redding seams to be the popular choice for reloading dies, but I'm unsure of which die set to to get. So if I give you a few details maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I will be starting with once fired Federal gold medal match brass that was fired out of my Noveske N6. I no longer have this rifle and will be reloaded for my GAP-10. I'm confused on if I need a full length resizing die, a neck sizing die or both. It sound like I don't need to FL resize every time. But I figured since I'm starting with new brass and a new rifle, FL resizing would make sense. Yes, no? Also I confused on bushing. How do the redding bushing work in the dies, and what size bushing will I need for the Federal brass?

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Re: Which Redding Die Set

I use the Redding Type-S FLS and Competition seater die set with my Forester Co-Ax. I like them so much that I'm considering buying them for .223 as well.

Not sure what size bushing you'd need for Federal. I know I have a .331 for my Winchester Brass.

Always best to FL size for gas guns. I use a Redding Type S die for my 308 gas guns and the Competition seating die. Even though you will be reloading mostly Federal brass, I would recommend getting a range of bushings so you can adjust neck tension. Most of the Federal brass that I have tested have a neck thickness of approx. .015 and would require bushings in the .335 to .337 range.

Powereng,

Personally, I'd say dispense with the Neck Sizing die altogether. No need for them, they add nothing to the party and are trouble looking for a time and place to happen in a bolt gun. In autoloaders, they're pure death. Nothing good comes from them, so why bother?

Generally, you want a bushing that's about .002" smaller than the O.D. of a loaded round, of whatever brass you're using. This can vary a bit by make, so it's worthwhile to have a variety of sizes, to cover a complete range. When I buy a neck bushing, I always buy the one that's indicated, as well as those .001" above and below that measurment. It's worthwhile to have the flexibility to adjust for neck tension, brass ductility, different lots, whatever. It gives you some options, and that's always a good thing. Kudos on the Co-Ax press, too. Sounds like you're going top-drawer all the way.

Thanks guys! Good to know that the FL re-sizing is the way to go when reloading for an auto loaders. With that in mind I guess I'll be doing a lot of case lubing. Any preferred brand of lube? Last time I reloaded I was still using a lube pad, but I know spray lubes have come a long way.

In regards to the Co-Ax, I finally learning the whole buy once, cry once motto.

regardless of auto loading or not, always get a type s FL die, even if you plan on neck sizing. Sooner or later you will need to FL size and wish you had a nice FL die to go along with your nice neck and seating dies.

I speak from experience.