• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Remington 700 in 308?

Somekevinguy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2012
Torrance, CA
I've been casually shooting on and off since I was a kid and got some of the basic semi auto rifles like an M1A, M1, AR-15, yada yada. I've always wanted to play sniper and I am finally about ready to buy my first bolt action. I don't hunt. I will only be killing paper, at least until the zombies come. The closest range to me only goes out to 600 yards with steel targets. I rarely get out to the desert for some free shooting where I might be able to shoot further.

After reading here there and everywhere. I am thinking I want a Remington 700 in 308. I am leaning toward the SPS Varmint 84218. I figured I would buy a nice scope of course and then later on get a better stock, maybe a break, etc.

Of course the local chain, Turners Outdoorsman had it on sale a few weeks back for $100 off for $529 but I didn't realize I wanted one yet. Seems like by the time I pay transfer fees to an FFL I can't do much better buying online from what I've seen.

Any thoughts, advice on any of this? Cheapest place for me to find one considering I'd have to pay about $75 transfer for internet deals. Different models, etc. Thanks.

Re: Which Remington 700 in 308?

There are way to many options, but if you can, get the Short Action 700 (SA) over the Long Action 700 because the SA is slightly more accurate.

The last time I looked, new 308`s only come in short actions. Go with the 5R. You won`t be dissappointed.

SPS Varmint is a good place to start in the Bolt Action world... you'll soon learn that the stock is in desperate need of replacement... also at minimum ~$150+ level optics are required (see Bushnell, Vortex, Mueller (not mentioned often but I started with one and it was great (minus 1/8 clicks... became too many clicks for longer shots)). Also, along the same "basic level" platform- you may want to consider the SPS Tactical (basically same gun, 20 inch barrel, slightly better but still pretty bad stock.

Brake on a 308 is pretty unnecessary if you ask me... a 308 doesn't kick much... with practice you should be able to stay on target. $529 sounds a little high... I'm not sure on your area, I picked one up for $399 a little over a year ago... Prices go up but from what I've seen locally ~450 seems like a decent price.

Its all about what you prefer. Both can be very good shooters. A shorter barrel will be stiffer than a longer barrel made of the same steel with the same diameter. This is where barrel harmonics come into play. Now, that's not to say "your 26" with your hand load" won't be more accurate and consistent than "my 20" with my hand load". Each can be extremely accurate with a proper load (this is why load development is key.)

Short barrels and long barrels each have their upsides
Here are the big plus's for each side
Short barrels- Stiffer which have larger accuracy nodes.
Long barrels- Longer tube gives barrel greater velocity.

Having both the 20" tactical and the 26" varmint, I have not seen any significant difference in accuracy when a handload is developed for each rifle.

If the same exact load is fired in both my testing has shown the varmint will have between 90 and 100fps more velocity.

If you plan to spend most of your time at 800 yards and closer I would recommend the shorter barrel as it is better balanced, lighter and more maneuverable. But if you were to be shooting out to 1000y often the extra velocity would be welcome. Both will need new stocks to get the best accuracy and consistency out of them.

Wow glad I asked. Maybe I'll get the 20" then. I'd like to try shooting out to 1000 yards but I am already driving about an hour just to get to a range with 600 yards and even that is steel only.

I purchased a Remington LTR in .308, and out of the box it is at least 1/2 MOA accurate, and has a 20" barrel. I figure if it is good enough for police, must be good enough for me too. You can't go wrong with that model, though it does cost a little more than some, due to the H-S Precision stock and the fluted barrel, but I think both are worth it.

The SPS-V And SPS-T are essentially the same barreled action with different barrel lengths in .308, unless something has changed. Here's a link to a review of the SPS-T that alos has a link to the SPS-V from SC.
http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm
I bought a ADL-V from Dicks 2 days ago for 499 less the rebate so check around. The warning to be had with the ADL is WHEN you change stocks you'll need bottom metal of some kind.

the best rem 700 for A do it all 308 is definatly the 20" XCR LONG RANGE. trust me on this one.

If your going 20" id go with the aac-sd. The 1 in 10 twist allows you to stabilized larger bullets therefore higher BC s and less wind drift at extended ranges.

the only reason the aac-sd has a 1 in 10 twist it to stablize sub sonic bullets. go with the xtreme conditions rifle. will take the abuse of new shooters and rain and still shoot 175 smk prety as pie. nuf said

If money is in play go with the SPS varmint then just upgrade the stock which is mandatory, there is to much flex at the pistol grip when shooting it for great accuracy. The SPS tactical is the varmint with a cut down barrel and better stock. Action and receiver are the same it is a great build rifle for add ons. Those Remington rebates are hard to beat on top of the store sales.

The sps-v is a good starting platform, or the tactical if you want the shorter barrel, but as SIG said, both of their stocks are junk. My buddy bought a sps-v and a 700p take-off stock and pretty much had a 700p for $150 bucks less than retail. The 5R is another great option if you want to spend a bit more, as they are good to go right out of the box and they now come in both 20" threaded and 24" barrel setups. If I were you I would call around to the other Tunner's stores, as I know that the couple near me always seem to run sales on different guns they have in stock. Chino store had a sps-v about $50 off around Thanksgiving which I debated picking up.

Weight, balance, and maneuverability don't matter one bit on a static range shooting from the bench or a bipod. Yes the 26 is long, but its not that long, and its got nothing on anything 20" or longer with a can. If you find the length objectionable after a while you can always have a smith cut and crown it which isn't too spendy, and/or have the barrel set back so you have a chamber you can work with, but that starts getting expensive.

Get the V, it'll shoot as good as any, actions and barrels are made on the same machines. Except the 5R barrels, but they're probably out of your price range. The V tends to be a few bucks cheaper than the T and it goes on sale every few months around here.

Any SPS will need a stock, they start around $200 and go up. I think a brake on a .308 is silly, I'd say dumb but someone would be offended, unless you have an injury of some sort there's just no need for the kinda noise they send towards your neighbors. .308s don't recoil bad at 8lbs, they really don't over 10lbs.

I don't know if you where set on a synthetic stock or not, but I started with a Rem 700 VLS. That thing would drive tacks. The only thing that I did was a "Stress free bedding" job. Sub 1/2 MOA out past 700 yards. Oh, and I put a Jewell trigger in it too, but you could have yours tuned up.

-Matt

I bought the Dick's ADL 700 308 26 inch 1/12 varmint,they put them on sale usually $449.00 and at Xmas they went down to 399.00,then ya can stack a rebate on top of it,You can also get the Dicks credit card and get 10% on your first purchase,pay it off and close the account,You can apply again and get the 10% again later on, I just did this with a .223 at Xmas.

The Dick's package has a camo stock and Remington/Bushnell scope.Lipseys is having Rem make it for them and Dist to Dicks,Not sure why Dick's is not buying direct with Rem. but makes a cheap way to get the action and barrel
grin.gif
Could you imagine what Lypseys is paying for it? http://www.lipseys.com/

I paid 449 plus tax,10% off,then 40.00 rebate ,sold the cheapy scope for 20.00 and the stock for 20.00.So I'm into the gun pretty cheap. I knew I was going to replace the stock and change over to a magazine style bottom metal anyway.

I assume the only diff between the Dicks ADL and the SPS is the xmark trigger,both are adjustable.Hope this helps.

Rob
cool.gif

there are a million options, just depends on what you are wanting from it and where you are wanting to with your build and how much work you wanna do on it.

The 5R is where its at. I have one on an AICS stock and a nightforce scope. That rifle is crazy accurate and very happy with it. It is a little more expensive but worth saving up for.

I bought the SPS-V last year and put a Bell & Carlson A5 stock on it and glass-bedded it. At the moment, it is a consistent 0.5"-0.6" shooter at 100 yards. There's a 1,000 yard range I belong to about an hour from where I live...for when the snow melts. By then, I'll probably change scopes from the 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest I mounted when I bought it. I recommend the rifle, the stock, a good bedding job (mating a factory receiver to a factory bedding block will not be perfect and bedding does help) and, pending purpose-designed scopes, Zeiss Conquest glass. I used two piece Leupold STD bases but , when I switch, I'll go to one piece with a 20 MOA adjustment.

Good luck.

FH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Go with the 5R. You won`t be dissappointed. </div></div>

Agreed. Better barrel on the 5r plus a much much better stock than the hogue or plastic varmint stock. However if that is out of your price range start out with the varmint or tactical SPS and upgrade as you can getting an HS or B&C stock trigger etc. I started out with the Varmint model 700 in 308 26" barrel and have since owned a couple different rifles but that one was a great start.

I've got a 700 P that shoots .5" groups at 100 yrds with handloads...I sure like it!

For my build I started with a varmint as well. the stock is the first thing you need to get rid of..the stock is trash.

If you are planning on upgrading barrel and everything, try to find a rem 700 youth..its the samd action, then just replace everything else. Its much cheaper.

I have a Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD and love It. I plan on replacing the stock soon with a Accuracy International Chassis System.

A good stock/bedding job can improve accuracy greatly. I replace the stock on my 700V with a H.S. Precision stock and watched my group size go from .75" to .5" at 100yd.

I bought a 5R because of the better barrel and stock. And the 5r's have a great history of shooting 1/2 inch or maybe even less at 100 yards zero.

+1 on the AAC-SD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkaires</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD and love It. I plan on replacing the stock soon with a Accuracy International Chassis System.

A good stock/bedding job can improve accuracy greatly. I replace the stock on my 700V with a H.S. Precision stock and watched my group size go from .75" to .5" at 100yd.

</div></div>
15cgdn8.jpg

Not to hijack ... but I've also been looking to get into the Long Range Shooting world and was thinking of either the Remington 700 SPS Tactical or the 700 Milspec 5R ...

Was thinking of picking up a B&C Medalist Stock ... so, if I went with the 5R, I could sell the existing HS Precision stock and recoup a couple hundred bucks or so ...

I was assume the 5R Barrel and Action would be a little better than the SPS Tactical's ... Is this correct and why?

Nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oham1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the AAC-SD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkaires</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD and love It. I plan on replacing the stock soon with a Accuracy International Chassis System.

</div></div>
15cgdn8.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a 5R because of the better barrel and stock. And the 5r's have a great history of shooting 1/2 inch or maybe even less at 100 yards zero. </div></div>

+1 on the 5R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for the 700 Milspec 5R! Here is mine (+ some mods)....absolutely love it:

Infidel_0068.jpg
</div></div>

Nice!!

Hey no bugs in the Screen in area
grin.gif

I ended up getting the SPS Tactical and a Vortex Viper PST 4x16x50 FFP with the Mil sight. I still have figure out base, rings and bi-pod I guess. Thanks for all the help.

Remington 700 PSS SA. Started off with that a few years ago, and have just added and rebuilted it through out the years.