• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which rifle as a base for build?

marctolate

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
Netherlands
www.schuttersvrienden.nl
Hello,

I want to build my first rifle and was planning on getting a 700P, but now I've read an article that the 700SPS is exactly the same as a 700P except for the stock and price!
Are there any defferences?

What would be the best choice?

Re: Which rifle as a base for build?

Get the 700P (if were talking the HS stock) and skim bed it, rock on. The SPS stock isnt as good and you'd need a stock change IMHO.

I want to change the stock anyway,an McMillan A5.

While saving money for the A5 I can use a 700P stock from a friend, so that's not the reason why I would buy an 700P.

Are there any more differences; barrel, action...?

If you're not stuck on the 700 action, you might think about a Savage action. An accutrigger comes on it, the accustock will work til you get that McM and with a little handloading care, the stock Savages shoot very well.

You'll come out cheaper than the 700's.

I've decided to go for a model 700 because of the unlimited parts you can get for it.
And several friend have a model 700 and they all love their rifles. Unfortanetely none of them has a SPS so I can compare it with a 700P.