• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which Rings would YOU choose?

SJshooter

BTM FDR
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
Maryland
picasaweb.google.com
<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">Please Include 1st and 2nd choices!</span> </span>

Talley Quick Detachable Scope 30mm Rings w/ Lever
m600004.jpg

Vortex Viper HS 30mm Rings
vorhs30lqr.jpg

Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm Rings

XTR-QD-Rings.jpg

Re: Which Rings would YOU choose?

I had the regular burris XTR's and personally hated them. I would go with the Vortex ones then the talley.

None. I hate vertical split rings and don't like QD rings on a precision rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None. I hate vertical split rings and don't like QD rings on a precision rifle. </div></div>

Agreed 100%

Who said they would go on a precision rifle? Don't ASS-U-ME!!

And even they were, they would most likely serve their purpose at my level of ability.

Then why don't you give us some more info Mr Smart Ass if you are asking for our help. It's not a game of 20 questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None. I hate vertical split rings and don't like QD rings on a precision rifle.</div></div>

That being said, are vertical split rings actually not as reliable, or is that a personal opinion from an aesthetic point of view?

All I asked was which rings would you choose given those three.

Which do you think would be more reliable based on Manufacturer reputation or design?

Can't stand the Burris rings at all. The rings listed as the Vortex HS, are actually the Warne 213M rings. The Warne rings are really good for what you pay.

I personally don't have a problem with the vertical split rings. I ran those for quite a while on my 10FPLE. I feel they are pretty good rings, and would not hesitate using them again.

DK

Talley makes good stuff. Something like 30% of their total sales are from PH's in Africa. Out of those three I'd go with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None. I hate vertical split rings and don't like QD rings on a precision rifle.</div></div>

That being said, are vertical split rings actually not as reliable, or is that a personal opinion from an aesthetic point of view? </div></div>

Tell you what buy what ever is cheapest and learn for yourself why we said not to. Not feeling like going into detail to help you

Also would not run any of those on any rifle I ever planned on taking scopes off of and having they hold some sort of zero.

"That being said, are vertical split rings actually not as reliable, or is that a personal opinion from an aesthetic point of view?"

How many vertically split rings does Badger, Seekins, Leupold, and other top tier manufacturers make? Kind of tells me something.

And I agree with Rob and would not use vertically split rings on a 22 rimfire.

OFG

I would use the vortex, I have used the warne which are most likely the same thing and never had a problem with them, I have also used the Burris XTR rings and I can not complain about them either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seekins makes the vortex rings im pretty sure. </div></div>

Not those rings above. They make the higher quality Precision Matched rings for Vortex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seekins.....done </div></div>

YUUUUP!!!

Beware of tourist traps.

Any rings designed to detach quickly....Will do just that. Those vertical split rings are a bad idea if you value the finish on your scope tube. And you almost never need three ring cap mouting screws.

Seekins and no quick release... can't torque a quick release.

My opinion.

I would buy none of the rings you have listed, at all. I would continue to save money to purchase Seekins or Badger Alloy rings. Nightforce Ultralite rings are nice as well. QD and precision rings do not belong in the same equation.

I also think the vertical split rings suck. I had a set on a .22 one time, and I couldn't wait to get rid of them. I never want another set.

I'm also not a big fan of the quick release rings and I don't really see the point. You still have to check, and most likely adjust your zero every time you take the scope on and off. So why not just get a quality set of rings, and do the same with them?

If I was to pick from those 3 sets, the Burris XTR rings are what I'd go with.

i actually took the advice offered me from these guys and bought seekins...... then i bought another set of seekins..... and guess what my next set will likely be?

i also tested the poi shift after removing & remounting my scope in seekins rings- within 1 click. i prefer good rings & a torque wrench over cheap QR's nowadays.

jmo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiosity, anyone tried those M10 rings from American Rifle? Not the QD, The regular ones.</div></div>
the american rifle rings are really nice, had a set on my s&b, left no marks when i took them off, and machined very nicely, wouldn`t hesitate to pick up a set if i were you

Badger rings...done! its 2 effin cross bolts....your prob worried about the SHTF or buggin out i guess.

Dont waste your money you will regret buying that garbage
Go with AADmount or Seekins

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None. I hate vertical split rings and don't like QD rings on a precision rifle. </div></div>

^^^^ What he said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would buy none of the rings you have listed, at all. I would continue to save money to purchase Seekins or Badger Alloy rings. Nightforce Ultralite rings are nice as well. QD and precision rings do not belong in the same equation. </div></div> Exactly. Wish you gave us more specs. Like what rifle, what type of shooting, and purpose. I personally hate quick detach.

I have never been a fan of QD rings.., maybe it's just me.. I just don't really care for them.. I have been using Talley Tactical and have grown to like them very much for my purposes.. but if you only have the option of those three I would definitely go with the Burris.

just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i also tested the poi shift after removing & remounting my scope in seekins rings- within 1 click. i prefer good rings & a torque wrench over cheap QR's nowadays.
jmo </div></div>

Is there a recommended order of tightening the four screws that hold the rings to the rail?

i have seekins and tsr steel rings....both are fantastic.

seekins good:
1. hardware...holy hell it's beefy
2. matched sets...so you know they work together

seekins bad:
1. price
2. they're kind of bulky..not a huge deal, but worth noting

tsr good:
1. small and compact
2. price

tsr bad:
1. hardware is no where close to seekins for the ring halves...but i DO like the nut for the base
2. not matched sets...but mine required no lapping, but some might

as for split/quick detach rings....i've seen a LOT of guys on the 600yd and 1000yd line run them on their bench rest guns....those guys are WAY more accurate than the likes of the "tacticool" shooters on here....so there is merit to the rings. I don't run them, but that's just a personal preference.

I would not waste my time or $ on any of the three choices we were given...

If you consider the Seekins, look at the Aadland rings. They may be overkill for your application, but for about the same price, I figured why not.

I think Murphy Precision rings and mounts are worth a look. The titanium rings and Picatinny mount with black coating are my choice.
No need to hand hone rings made with that kind of precision as long as the mount is exactly parallel. But checking the rings concentricity with a hone kit would be a good idea.

I am very happy with my American Rifle Company rings, great design, easy on the scope & holds very well.

I have seen two different MK4 rings break due to overtorquing (not mine). The XTR's are ok for a beginner, but I won't go out of my way to buy any new ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Any rings designed to detach quickly....Will do just that. </div></div>

That's what I have always thought and why I have never bought/used quick attach rings. I would also never trust a zero on a quick attach unless the target was the size of a barn. Am I missing something - are these things accurate in practice?

On average I run about 500 rounds a week. I have the good fortune to live and run a very well known range on the central coast of Ca. I don't say it as bragging but as to seeing a lot of pros and cons of a lot of equipment.
I run the Burris XTR on four of my rifles and have had no failures what so ever with them. They are solid and "line up" my scopes well enough that I have never been left with ring marks. If you like so many these days run on a budget? Buy with confidence! Then if you feel like spending the big bucks latter, by all means do it.

I bet those vortex rings are made by warnne. I had a pair that were exactly like that and the screw for the quick detach lever came off in my hand the other day there by rendering my day done, and my gun useless cause it started shooting all over the place. the only ones shown that i would pick are the burris...now if you want some really nice rings that are a little more pricey look into Seekins

I have used the Burris Xtreme non-qd rings. They held true very well and didn't leave a mark on my scope. However they didn't clamp evenly to the base and did (mostly) cosmetic damage to it. My next set of rings will be Seekins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiosity, anyone tried those M10 rings from American Rifle? Not the QD, The regular ones. </div></div>

I love mine and they have bounced from a 338Lm to a .300WM with zero issues.

SJ shooter

You gotta tell us first what the firearm/caliber is and what you are going to use the rifle for.
You also have to tell us what scopes are going to be in it, both of the scopes please.

I wouldent make the same choise for a .338 precision rifle as for a .22 handgun, or for the 22 ruger10/22 or 7mm huntingrifle.

Different needs, makes different choises!

Håkan

They're lots of good rings out there. The last 5-6 pair that I've bought have all been Seekins, and i've been very happy with them.

I don't hate QD, I use QD on some guns and they does for sure have their place as well as they on a number of applications better is avioded.

Håkan