• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Which Rings????

chefcam864

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
Spartanburg, SC
I don't really know why I am obsessing over this, but I am! I just ordered a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LRMOA 2, and need to get rings. I have never bought high end rings before, but this is my F-TR rifle and I want to get it right the 1st time.
The Rifle is a SA Remmy 700 (308), in a MCM A5, W/ 26"bbl.
These are what I'm considering:
Ken Farrell
Ken Farrell Rings | Sinclair Intl

Badger Ordnance:
ww.sinclairintl.com/optics/rings-bases/scope-rings/maximized-scope-rings-prod1392.aspxw

TSP
TPS 30mm TSR Picatinny-Style Steel Rings Matte High

Brownell's (The price is nice on these and the TSP)
PICATINNY SCOPE RINGS | Brownells

I have a steel NightForce 20MOA base.
I spoke with a tech at Sinclair a few months ago, when I bought my base, and he told me that steel was the way to go. I really don't know why steel is better than aluminum on a 308, but I tend to trust the folks at Sinclair.

I'm pretty sure I can't go wrong with Badger, Ken Farrell, or NightForce, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the TSP or Brownell's rings. I hold Brownell's in pretty high regard, and doubt they would put their name on a POS, but I want to get it right the 1st go round. I've only used Warne and Leupold rings in the past, so don't have experience with much else. I will say that my quick release Warne Maxima steel rings have been trouble free for me. I do want the cool tactical/competition look of the other rings though. I know, I know, but I can't help it!

The problem is that money is an issue. I still have to get a Picatinny base for my hunting rifle and a scope level, plus I just shelled $800+ for glass. Please educate me about the differences in scope rings (steel vs. aluminum especially)

I am also considering the Burris XTR rings as a cheaper alternative. Any experience with them? Are they even in the same league as the others?
XTR Xtreme Tactical Rings | Brownells

Thanks in advance, Casey

Last edited:
All the above are good. You need to determine what size rings (go by the ring measurements since low , med, high have different measurements for different manufactures) you need to help in your decision.

Stay away from the TPS rings and Brownell's. Their quality is no where near the others. If you want great rings, your choice should come from one of these companies.

Seekins
Badger Ordnance
USO
ARC

Those are at the top of the tactical rifle scope ring food chain for a reason.

Seekins for sure. Great product.

Many rails are cut a "C" hair different from one another....With that being said my pick would be the Nightforce. I have the same Sightron you have chosen..That LRMOA reticle is REAL nice to work behind. I use a 15moa Lupy rail and high Burris signature Z rings set up with 10moa. That put my 56mm objective 1/32" above my heavy varmint barrel on a 300RUM. Surely NOT the flavor of the week of a set up, but so far rock solid on an as kicking custom...Best of luck with your new gun

Sounds like Badger & seekins are quite popular. I'll def stay away from the TPS and Brownells. Anybody ever use Ken Farrell? The look as solid as a tank, but I have never heard much about them. I'm really leaning towards Badger, since I found some for $139. I like the Seekins, but didn't consider them because they are aluminum. Does that really matter? My opinion is only based on a conversation with a Sinclair tech. Does steel really offer any advantage over a QUALITY set of aluminum rings?
Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming!

Last edited:
No steel doesn't offer anything over a quality set of rings like Seekins except a little rust ;) Seekins will do everything you need a set of rings to do and without a large nut sticking out the side. I have been using Seekins on my rifles since Glen started making them and they never let me down.

Farrells set up are as good as any. I have a base/ring set on a 6BR that I am very pleased with. Again to repeat myself.....If I had a Nightforce base I would go with the Nightforce rings as well.......

I called Sinclair today, and had an informative conversation with one of their techs. His comments mirrored what you guys have been telling me. He said that steel is stronger when comparing lower end rings, but offers no real advantage when comparing top quality rings. He also told me that between NF, Ken Farrell, and Badger that there is no real practical difference; they're all top quality, and that I would be happy with any of them. With that said, I decided to go with the Farrell's. I dig the oddball look and they were $15-$20 less than Badger or NF. I would have gladly gone with Seekins, especially since they're a little less expensive, but Sinclair does not carry them. I had a $40 credit from a previous return, so I wanted to order from Sinclair to use that. I got out of there for just under $160 for the rings and Sinclair scope level after using the credit. My $60 Warne QR Maxima rings were the most expensive ring purchase I had made heretofore, so I'm crying just a tad...;-)

Armored Transport, I appreciate your input on sticking with the same brand for base/rings, but I've never had a problem from mixing the two before so I decided to go with the ones I liked (and were slightly cheaper).

I'm shooting a F-TR match at Camp Lejune next weekend, so I'm definitely in a bit of a "cash crunch" after buying the glass and rings. However, I have never regretted buying the best quality. "Buy once, cry once" is truly a wise saying!

Thank you to all for your input. I greatly appreciate it!
Casey

Last edited:
you made a good choice with the ken farrell rings. they are fantastic design with a high regard for quality. I have them on my two best rifles.

once you read this, you'll know you made the right choice with Ken Farrell. I really like these rings paired with the low profile of the nightforce 20MOA base. I also like Ken farrell's G force base but wish it was a bit lower profile like the nightforce base.

Free Rifle and Pistol Targets

Last edited: