• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which RRS ball head for a 26 pound .338 Lapua Mag?

jim-h

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2020
Nevada
Which Really Right Stuff ball head would be best for a 26 pound .338 Lapua Magnum in a MDT ACC chassis?

If you want to save some doe on RRS or comparable equipment call Camere Land NY, ask for Joel or Doug, they own the joint. I purchased a Sirui Tripod and a Gitxo fluid head from them. I forget the models but they are heavy equipment. I My criteria for them was to have the ability for my 100mm Optolyth spotter and also my 24lb 338LM. They were so helpful, Doug researced the best compact digi camera for the optical mount for the Optolyth and called me back the next day. Two days later I was taking pics of Jupiter and its four moons. They give a 10% veteran discount.

You can get the BH-55, Anvil-30 or a leveling base. They will all be strong enough. Anvil is rated for highest torque and weight. The leveling base is lower cg so it feels stronger than it actually is. BH 55 is the most traditional style of ballhead some people are familiar with.

Reactions: Diver160651
You can get the BH-55, Anvil-30 or a leveling base. They will all be strong enough. Anvil is rated for highest torque and weight. The leveling base is lower cg so it feels stronger than it actually is. BH 55 is the most traditional style of ballhead some people are familiar with.
Do you know if anyone has played around with a gimbal head for this? Seems like the inherent stability would be beneficial.

I was initially thinking about a gimble head also.... Doug at Camera Land NY talked me out of it. Apparently he has a heck of a lot more experience than I do with knowledge and use of heads. I'm very happy with my setup I got from him.

Yes, I have used our gimbals a bunch. They work. It is an odd feeling to shoot with them, the weight is different, the action/movement of everything takes a good bit to get used to. My magazine kept hitting the lowest portion until I figured out how to set it up easier.

I push all shooters to go leveling base or ballhead. I am not much of an advocate for gimbals but some people love them with rifles.

Going the ballhead route will usually save you money and be a more portable setup.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Buy the Anvil 30. Don't overthink or cheap out. Stupid simple to use, can use both pic and arca rails with no adjustment and fast.

One of the best pieces of shooting gear I have purchased in a long time.

Thanks! I see that I can get the anvil and tripod together as a kit. I'm a little confused with choosing the tripod model. What is the best way to determine which tripod model to select? Also, what is the difference in the "L" models?

Thanks for the call.
Our naming system is confusing for people who arent deeply involved in the gear, apologies.

The initial in the front of the numbers are what type of apex, V in the middle means its a versa, F in the middle is a Fixed, and if it has a T on the end it has a taper made specifically for the Anvil-30 ballhead.
The first number is the series of the tripod and the second number is how many sections there are.
If it has an L or and S after the number it means there is a sibling tripod with the same numbers but this one is either the Longer version or the shorter version of the sibling.

Reactions: E-Tool
I ordered the Anvil-30 and tripod and I'm anxious to see how this changes the "feel" of my aim. I don't see how a pic rail offset significantly from the center of gravity can hold many pounds yet still be smooth and fluid enough to let me line up on the sight picture as well as shooting off a bipod will allow. My instructor told me to get this so I have it on order but I don't see how the head can hold the weight but be refined at the same time.

I ordered the Anvil-30 and tripod and I'm anxious to see how this changes the "feel" of my aim. I don't see how a pic rail offset significantly from the center of gravity can hold many pounds yet still be smooth and fluid enough to let me line up on the sight picture as well as shooting off a bipod will allow. My instructor told me to get this so I have it on order but I don't see how the head can hold the weight but be refined at the same time.
the locking lever has a lot of adjustment range, so you can go from 0-50lbs of force needed to move the rifle poa.
i happen to like it when it takes about 3lbs on the end of the stock to tilt the rifle. this gives me good control without any slop.
once i am on target, i lock it down.
it might take a little time to find the sweet spot for yourself.
for me, the long part of the handle is pointed straight downrange, and this gives me an easy visual queue that the tension is in the right ballpark to start out.
/i am one of the poors, so the fact that i bought an rrs tripod and anvil-30 is testimonial.