• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which RRS Tripod?

Zback

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 8, 2019
I am trying to decide between the 34L and 24L. It will mostly be used for predator hunting, however it will probably get packed in by backpack for a yearly hunt out west as well.

I went with the 24L since I wanted to backpack with it for hunting. I’m mainly using it to shoot 10-12 pound rifles (including magnums), and glass with spotter & binos. For my use the 24L has been very stable and the weight isn’t bad at all when backpacking.

Reactions: R.Walters
If you want max stability, then 34L. If you want almost as much stability and 1lb lighter, than 24L. I have a 34L and it is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

I also went with 24L... no regrets.

Note the weight ratings only vary by 5lbs at standing shooting height (2 sections deployed). I’m pretty sure any additional flex of the 24 is masked by my own wobble zone. :D

Reactions: Solby
I have a 24L and I like it. Though I don’t carry mine around so I don’t benefit from the lighter weight. I’ve been tossing around the idea of selling it for the 34L TBH as I use mine for square range and rimfire matches.

24L for sure I have a 34L for my prs and I am 300 plus lbs and I have hung from the apex just to try it out. This is not a lie and I can post a video if u really want rrs is the shit. I guess its y they are so crazy expensive but unless u need to hang an extremely large piece of meat from ur tripod, for ur intended use i would do the 24L for sure. Just my 2

I know that I’m really excited to shoot off my 34L and Anvil 30 combo. What I mean is that I don’t think you would be disappointed with either. If you want less weight do the 24L. Otherwise the other will likely treat you right.

we are gonna put the 33 through its paces . . .

Attachments

• EDE425CF-FDE4-4F08-B553-24A40E988922.jpeg
    EDE425CF-FDE4-4F08-B553-24A40E988922.jpeg
    612.8 KB · Views: 135
Hunting can be as much about the stealth and speed of deployment as well as how many tasks you must do to have a make ready. The 4 leg tripods are slower than the 3 leg versions.

A 24L series, 4 leg section saves only about 5oz over the 33MK2 and is slower and far less stable. That "extra" 5oz is the best investment you'll make if you are faced with a long shot; ESPECIALLY with a light magnum. Contrary to what some people say, a light magnum is actually the hardest to shoot off these tripods with precision.

Having owned 24L, Fesiol in the same, 34Ls and Feisiols; I only now use 2 33MK2 for pack hunting, car spotting, or match shooting it is about the perfect blend. The 4 leg series is to give real tall guys using binos standing more room, tall guys can still shoot fine of a 3 leg series, and in reality in the field hunting, you are not standing tall and proud in the wind and telegraphing your position. 3 leg versions are generally more stable than the 4 leg counterparts. For what it is worth, what static load a tripod can hold, doesn't translate into the real-world when the lever arm is attached. Wind and shooters twist and toque the apex and legs and that where your wobble zone will grow between a smaller 4 leg tripod and a larger tube 3 leg version.

With a few tips, you'll be so fast getting ready for a long shot with the 33 you'll wonder what you ever did before.

Check out this thread, third link down in the tripod field tips and tricks I wrote for a field UKD match next month. We have 11K views and I think you'll find at least something of interest if your a field tripod person. https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-ukd-team-challenge-match-11-22-2020.6980614/

BTW looking for ROs. I get back from my Colorado hunt just before the match and leave for Wyoming the day after the match, so I am spread really thin.

This is my ELK setup. The scope is heavier than some guys use but I wanted to lock turrets and full functionality of FFP. Still rides in around 10lbs with the rail and magazine. My pig setup is a SA with an adjustable comb but just about the same setup.
Elk gun.jpg

4 sections stow a tinny bit shorter but ae NOT worth the slower deployment speed, for hunting.
RRS vrs other.png

This is my old car spotting setup, we spot first near the trucks or ATV.
old spotter setup.jpg

Last edited:
Just got mine today. TFCT-34L w/ Anvil 30

Attachments

• 863D25E8-253E-4CE8-9BD9-488C7751C187.jpeg
    863D25E8-253E-4CE8-9BD9-488C7751C187.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 143
Wait a minute, have I been using my anvil 30 backwards?

I've had the lever facing away form me, i'd maneuver it with my index and middle finger. I never though to flip it and trip my thumb.

Wait a minute, have I been using my anvil 30 backwards?

I've had the lever facing away form me, i'd maneuver it with my index and middle finger. I never though to flip it and trip my thumb.
Are you referring to my picture?

if so that’s backwards for a right handed shooter. Unfortunately, you can’t flip the latches on a Anvil 30, so that one is spun 180 to accommodate me shooting the right handed gun and tripod, left handed.

If I could I certainly would like to see the locking lever on the opposing side of the tensioning lever. Even though it might be a hair slower it could save a rifle if a high stress, low light condition from accidentally being hit

Reactions: E-Tool
I purchased a used 33 model a couple weeks ago and I'm happy with it. Agreed that it would be faster to deploy than a 4 section version.

Shot with it for the first time today. 100 yards. In a sitting position I am holding the same groups as I do with a bipod in a prone position. But I am consistently 1” left and 0.5” high. Probably my technique. Need more practice.