• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Scope for .22 Trainer

dollarbillme

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2010
IL, USA
Help me decide which scope to mount on my .22 trainer. The rifle will be used 99% for paper and plinking, and maybe 1% chance of varmint. I am wanting mildot as my future .308 and .223 projects will have FFP mil/mil and the .22 is to be used as a trainer. I would like to keep the cost below $250. My top 3 picks are:

1. Bushnell 3200 Tactical fixed 10x mil/mil $200 at Midway
This scope has excellent reviews and it would be great to have mil/mil. My concern is shooting within 100yds with no parallax adjustment. If the scope was AO, I would already have it ordered.

2. Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire $99.95 special at SWFA
I chose the Vortex over the Tasco, due to Vortex’s lifetime warranty. The scope has mixed reviews and my obvious concern is its reliability. Also the scope is mil/moa, but for $100 it’s a bargain.

3. Tasco TAVAR624X42M $69.95 at Natchez
It’s the lowest cost of the 3 and much like the Vortex. Both are 6-24 mil/moa with AO. The scope has good reviews, especially for rimfire, but my concern is quality and warranty.

I am also considering:

Weaver Tactical 3-10 mil/mil $300 at Midway
Millett TRS1
Leopold 3-9
RedFeild 4-12
Weaver 40/44
Muller APV/APT
SS10X42

Re: Which Scope for .22 Trainer

Forget those three and go with a USO ST-10....

BUT.. if you have to choose between those 3, go with the Bushy

I have the tasco varmint 6x24 scope on my rimfire. Its honestly not a bad scope for the money. its quite clear all the way to 18 power then gets a little darker as you go to the maximum magnification. it also accurately tracks so you cant beat that for the price

I have an ST-10 on one and the weaver GS tactical 3-10 you mentioned above on another. I like them both very much! The only thing my ST-10 has over the weaver is amount of elevation (Partially because of EREK) and paralax adjustment.

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd go with either the SS or the weaver tact 3-10. My weaver has a nicer turret click feel than the particular SS I had...

Mine is mounted on a CZ with a 20moa base and at a 50 yard zero I have 13.5 usable mils of elevation not counting hold overs.

My CZ is the threaded 16" American and it takes me 8 mils to get out to 230 yards with wolf match ammo to give you an idea what I'm working with.

I'm sure the SS will give you some more elevation than that but I'm not 100% positive on that?

I have a Weaver Tactical 3-10 from midway on my trainer and really like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koyodiak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you taken a look at this one? mil/mil FFP, I've got a pair on a couple 22's. I'm happy with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456482/...ad-reticl-matte </div></div>
+1 for this scope. Its actually pretty nice for the money. The clicks are a little mushy but the glass is clear and bright.

Other than that you could find a used falcon menace in 4-14x44 they are a little outside your price range but you get mil/mil ffp

I have the bushy with Mil/MOA (wish I had gotten Mil/Mil) on my 10/22T trainer and love it. Tracks great and has excellent glass for the money.

I have the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10X with Mil/Mil on a DIP 20 MOA base and really like it. Got it on sale at Midway for around $299.00
JaxOps

To those that have the Bushnell or Weaver fixed mil/mil or mil/moa. How is the parallax under 100yds? I really like the idea of the mil/mil and don't see my self adjusting the power often, and even with the 6-24 scopes, the reticle is set at 10x for accurate mils. I am planning on shooting mostly between 50-200yds, but will occasionally at 25yd.

the weaver has no paralax adjustment! what were they thinking?!?

I also have the Weaver 3-10x mil/mil scope on my FV-SR.

I've only had the opportunity to shoot the rifle once, at an indoor range where the longest distance was 25yd. I found that I had to turn the magnification down to about 6x in order to not have parallax issues.

A minor annoyance for sure, but it wasn't a hindrance to me in any way. I doubt there would be any issues at 50yd.

The bushy, or Weav. You really need to up your budget and get something that will be as close to your main optic as much as possible. Dont even consider the x-fire as they may not even hold up to rimfire recoil.

I now have 5 of the Tasco 6-24's and 2 of the 2.5-10's and I like all of them. Some of them have been on rifles ranging from .22LR's to .30-'06 lightweight hunters for over 5 years. recoil does not appear to be an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ta2dtrent</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koyodiak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you taken a look at this one? mil/mil FFP, I've got a pair on a couple 22's. I'm happy with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456482/...ad-reticl-matte </div></div>
+1 for this scope. Its actually pretty nice for the money. The clicks are a little mushy but the glass is clear and bright.

Other than that you could find a used falcon menace in 4-14x44 they are a little outside your price range but you get mil/mil ffp</div></div>

Pretty sure the BSA scope is a rebranded Falcon Menace.

Or, you could do what I do. Get a set of rings (or unimount) and buy a really good piece of glass and swap it between the two.

Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or, you could do what I do. Get a set of rings (or unimount) and buy a really good piece of glass and swap it between the two.

Just a thought. </div></div>

I second this thought. Instead of spending $$ on each rifle you own. Spend a little to get good bases and quick disconnect integral mounts. That way you can swap really good glass on to what ever platform you choose to shoot that day.

Thanks for all the info. The more I "research" the more the crossfire is moving to the bottom of the list.

The Tasco seems to be the best bang for the buck. But the Bushy sure is nice. My future scopes will be all mil/mil if I can afford it, and I am wanting to train myself to "think" in mils. I my go with the Bushnell and if parallax is an issue on the .22, I will move it to a centerfire.

I like my Vortex 6-24x, solid, repeatable zero, bright. I wish it had the exposed turrets. I think the newer ones do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911.it</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my Vortex 6-24x, solid, repeatable zero, bright. I wish it had the exposed turrets. I think the newer ones do. </div></div>

Crossfire, I assume? I have one also. Just waiting for the rifle to come in. It is on my 10/22 now, but I actually want my 10/22 open sights or red dotted. Nice scope for 100.00.

No, it's the plain Viper, NOT the PST with the exposed turrets. I paid 250 for it when I put my Cooper 57M together and I have 1800 total into it. It is a very nice complement to my GAP Crusader.

Here's an option...you might want to consider:

Nikon Refurbished 4.5-14x40 Buckmasters Riflescope SF Mildot Reticle Matte

In Stock

$289.95

This is from Natchez Shooter's Supply. I've got one on my 10/22...really decent little scope!

Wayne