• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which scope for a Savage 17 HMR?

jfk

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2004
I bought a Savage 17HMR and was looking for input on a scope. I noticed some companies have a dedicated scope for this caliber. Besides BSA (which isn't a consideration)are there any other choices?

Re: Which scope for a Savage 17 HMR?

Depends on your use for the rifle. I'd go with an AO model if your target shooting only, but for a hunting rifle you can save some cash and go with a 3-9x40 without AO. I don't know your budget, but for under $200 you can get into a nice Bushnell Elite Series, or Nikon Buckmaster, with great glass for the money. Enjoy your Savage! I sure like all of mine
smile.gif

This fella has some great prices http://stores.ebay.com/Jays-Hunting-and-Fishing-Supply

jfk, what are the dedicated scopes you are talking about?

I have a bushnell elite 4200 3-9x40 on my Savage 17HMR.

The glass is good for the money... Im keen to change it in the future to something with better turrets... external turrets... cant be bothered taking off caps, and I want something that allows me to reset the turret caps to zero, kind of like how my nightforce works.

If there was a scope with a dedicated drop for the 17hmr I would be inclined to give that a shot but I doubt it would have much use. Im looking at shooting past 300 with it.

Take a look at the Cabelas .17 pine ridge scope. I put one on my wife's savage 17 hmr and am prettl happy so far. It's not high end but the ballistic turret sure is nice. It has been pretty accurate out to 200 yards

What about the mueller apt. Seem really nice, by bro has one on his AR15.

I have the mueller Tactcal model on my current savage and it is repeatable dialing out to 330 yards and back to my 100yrd zero. I would go with their tac II model for the better glass. The .17 calibrated scopes are risky, I've had two hmr savage rifles that the trajectories don't exactly match up very well. Accurate and repeatable but the drops from 200 yrds out are no where near what others are getting. Some folks claim 7.5-8" drops at 200yrds where with my rifles using 17gr vmax drop 10-11" depending on conditions. Past 200 yrds out to 330 yrds (longest range I have) drops are almost 60" or more depending on conditions. Still plenty accurate and repeatable once you find you real world dope. If your wanting to shoot past 150 yards i would get a decent scope that will track well for you get real world dope and not take the risk on maybe not having a rifle that shoots the way a scope was pre calibrated. My .02

Pic of my Savage 17, from our annual rat shoot last week:

RH1.jpg

The NXS worked great, but I just can't justify that much $$ in scope for my 17 all the time. My 308 is at the 'smith, so I figured "why not" put the NXS on the 17 for the trip?

I normally run a Nikon Buckmaster on it and have been really happy with it. Really pretty nice for the money IMO. I generally shy away from set BDC reticles, 17 included, because conditions and ammo change. Case in point... I live at 200' elevation, but our annual rat hunt is at 4300' elevation. I find that with the standard mil-dot, after a box of ammo or so, I get a really good feel with where to hold for where I'm shooting and am effective on the rats out to 200-250 yards. It works for me.

On a side note, here's another pic from last week's rat shoot. Through the NXS, a bald eagle came in and was feasting on the rats... good times:

RH2.jpg

This is what I run on my Mark XXII 17HMR.

img0706jq5.jpg

You can't hit what you can't see and this allows me to shoot on 20 power fron 25 feet on out. The Leupold 66565 VXIII 6.5-20x40EFR is made for rimfire action. If you want a customised drop knob either Leupold or Kenton will hook you up with one customised just for you.

The CDS scopes could be set up with capless low profile turets to do the same thing. L like mine in plain old MOA so I can adapt to any situation. I carry a PDA with Ebal with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grmroper001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at the Cabelas .17 pine ridge scope. I put one on my wife's savage 17 hmr and am prettl happy so far. It's not high end but the ballistic turret sure is nice. It has been pretty accurate out to 200 yards </div></div>

I'll second this. Of course there are far better scopes you could pick, but if you're looking for budget glass, I've had pretty good luck with the Pine Ridge .17 HMR scope.

I've checked the turrets with the Hornady 17grain ammo and the Winchester ammo and both have been repeatable.

I know it is not a consideration for you, but for kicks and grins I put a BSA Sweet 17 on a Savage 17 HMR. It tracks well and I have been able to hit targets consistently out to 200 yds with it. I know there are a lot of options out there that are better, but it has performed as advertised so far. The turret adjustments are a little mushy, but it didn't cost an arm and leg either.

If you have the same stock as mine (savage synthetic), a periscope would be my recommendation....

I use a Mueller APV scope on my bull barreled Savage .17hmr and for my standard barreled Savage .17hmr I mounted a Nikko Sterrling scope with fine cross hair reticle. The Mueller has real clear glass and is a great scope for the cost. The Nikko Sterrling has decent glass for the cost.