• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which scope for me? Few constraints inside..

MrOneEyedBoh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Maryland, USA!
Im looking to replace my current Falcon Menace 4-14x50 FFP. In the poll I have added the three scopes Im down to now. I have around 2000-2100 to spend on a scope and ammo ( if need be on the ammo )

Im going to be shooting 308. Keep in mind Im a complete noob at this, so starting off at 100 yards and moving out. I do plane on to shoot at a max of 1000yds at some point.

I will get whatever scope in FFP and MIL/MIL. The next thing is Im new to this but I do believe in buying and crying once. To an extent. The thing is I dont want to over spend on the scope and then we not even be able to utilize it to whats its worth. So should I settle for a lower grade scope?

Also the last thing would be that I need to still get ammo. I dont plan on shooting for3 months or so and I sure could save up and get ammo within those months ahead, but that is still an option. I also would rather have a bit more magnification then is needed, as its good to have more than you need IMO. Also what about objective? Should I do 56 and loose some field plain view? Or stick with 50 and be happy?

Ahh and yeah, I have TPS rings now. Should I replace them?

So with that being said, what would you recommend?

Re: Which scope for me? Few constraints inside..

None, go USO sn3 3-17 and order it how you want it. You put half down and half on completion so you can save up a tad more for ammo by the time its complete. The night force is your best option out of that group but your going to spend over 2k for FFP which is really needed to quickly range. The vortex is a good scope for the money but not nearly as clear as the rest and not even close to a uso. The SS has a reticle that is WAY too thick for my blood and that's the biggest reason I don't own one. So if your big on buy once cry once then get the USO and thank me later.

Good luck,
Merritt

I said Vortex. Whichever route you go, be sure to map out your turrets abilities before you put your faith in them.

Razor's show up in the Optics for sale every so often in the $1700-$1800 range, and that would leave $300-$400 for ammo.

I voted Vortex PST. You stated you wanted FFP and mil/mil, so that rules out the Nightforce 5.5-22. Also, I think you will enjoy having more than 15x although it's not needed, so that rules out the Nightfore NXS 15x and the Nightforce F1 for that matter which has FFP. I have owned the PST in the past and really like it for the money. Honestly, I would opt for the new Bushnell HDMR in the ~$1,400 range than any of these options. Just my opinion though...

I second USO, Buy buy a used one to save the $ .

See haha I didnt do enough research. I though the the NF had FFP..

so maybe I'll be going with the 3.5-15x50 NXS FFP F1 then...

And the USO is cool, but I cant justify that and then have to buy rings too. My rings are 30mm.

USO makes 30mm scopes. I would look at the Vortex Razor used section will keep you well under 2k and leave the rest for ammo.

Got two SWFA 5x20's and could not be happier with the set ups and the price. Two really good scopes for the cost of one if you buy them used.

Mil/Mil, big turret where one turn of the dial +1 mil takes you clear to 1000 with a 308, crystal clear and a decent Mil recticle.

I would guess the Vortex, NF, SWFA and USO all have no haggle warranties?

I also heard that the Vortex Razor isnt that much better than the PST line.

I'm recommending a scope I no longer own, which is the SS 5-20. Why? For what you're comparing it to it's the best value. I sold it despite really liking the glass and reticle because I am happier behind a 3-15. But for $1299 new (non-illum) it is hard to beat. You might well consider a more expensive scope...just make sure it's what you want. Selling them used sucks.

The USO would be worth considering as would a Premier LT 3-15. With the glass it has, I find that shooting out to 1000 is just as good as it was with the 5-20.

Hmm. That USO is pretty nice... But then what if the scope is just too much for my gun?

If you have the opportunity, try as many as you can in person, preferably at the range, on a weapon.

I'd offer to let you play around a bit with my NF 3.5-15 mil/mil but I'd bet it is too far of a drive for ya. It is SFP, but I am definetly happy with it. It will carry ya out to 1000, no problem, but as mentioned before with magnification, it is better to have and not need.

USOs are awesome. Vortex and SWFA are pretty good, JMO. Haven't tried any SS glass.

From me coming from a menace I think anything over that scope ( no its not terrible, just in a different realm ) would be good to my eyes. I dont have a big shooters crowd here in MD, most likely one of the worse states for firearms.

Have you considered the bushnell HDMR? The H58 reticle, if you plan on holding over, is pretty nice, right around 1300 bucks on the used market. Then you can spend some $$ for some rings.

34mm rings are pretty common, not as common as 30mm but you can get a decent set and use them for a loooooong time.

Plus, if you end up spending 1300 on the HDMR, you can get your feet wet in reloading for 500 or so and still have 200 for components.

Yeah but I heard reloading can be pretty dangerous. And how much do you save actually. I wouldn't mind shooting fgmm ..

You will probably find that you need less magnification than you think you do. A higher magnification scope will limit you. If you can swing it, a NF F1 is hard to beat. But do you really need FFP? If not, and you want to save money, a 3.5-15x50 SFP is well within your budget. And I don't see any advantage to a 56mm objective on a NF.

IOR 3-18.
A very good scope, an excellent reticle, stupendous glass. ten mil turret. It comes with a very good set of rings included in the price.

With the money you save, order a case of Southwest Ammo run and gun.
Save you brass, as you will eventually reload.

I voted for the Vortex.

I have the PST 4-16 FFP MRAD on a 20" AR and love it.

I also have the PST 6-24 FFP MRAD on order for a 308 bolt gun.

All of that said, for your budget I would get the HDMR with the H58 or H59 and not give it a second thought. I like the H59 better and there should be more of them around.

Thanks guys. Whats up with this HDMR? Why such the hype? Also why use SW run and gun. Is it better than the FGMM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None, go USO sn3 3-17 and order it how you want it. You put half down and half on completion so you can save up a tad more for ammo by the time its complete. The night force is your best option out of that group but your going to spend over 2k for FFP which is really needed to quickly range. The vortex is a good scope for the money but not nearly as clear as the rest and not even close to a uso. The SS has a reticle that is WAY too thick for my blood and that's the biggest reason I don't own one. So if your big on buy once cry once then get the USO and thank me later.

Good luck,
Merritt</div></div>

Take it from a Marine. He definitely knows what he's talking about.

+1 for USO SN-3

But, after looking more into those HDMR scops.. they looks pretty cool, and applicable.

Im somewhat new, but I was shooting out to 1250 on a USO ST-10x37(fixed 10) on a 308 AR plarform with no problems, so I dont think beyond x15 is really a necessity but more a luxury. +1 on the US Optics...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrOneEyedBoh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Im new to this but I do believe in buying and crying once. <span style="color: #FF0000">To an extent</span>...
</div></div>

wow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrOneEyedBoh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah but I heard <span style="color: #FF0000">reloading can be pretty dangerous</span>. And how much do you save actually. I wouldn't mind shooting fgmm .. </div></div>

shhhhh...its vewy vewy dangerous...we hunting wabbits...(in all seriouslness, read a reloading manual and use common sense. Not dangerous at all)

You dont mind shooting 25/box ammo (FGMM), but you cant afford a decent scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrOneEyedBoh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. Whats up with this HDMR? Why such the hype? Also why use SW run and gun. Is it better than the FGMM? </div></div>

Hype? strong choice of words I think. For me, it out perofrorms the NF and the SS I have owned.

The SW R&G is cheaper than the FGMM, and will outshoot most beginner rifles. I have used SW ammo, and it is legit. No, its not better than FG, but is not advertised as such. And they are good poeple. Use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrOneEyedBoh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are sooo many options Im confused hhaha </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="color: #6666CC">go USO </span>sn3 3-17 and order it how you want it....<span style="color: #FF0000">The SS has a reticle that is WAY too thick for my blood and that's the biggest reason I don't own one</span>. So if your big on <span style="text-decoration: underline">buy once cry once </span>then get the USO and thank me later.

Good luck,
Merritt </div></div>

This post is very good for several reasons.
1-go uso
2-he DOES NOT LIKE THE SS RECT cause its too thick. The SS rect is, TOO ME, amazing cause the diamonds with dot in them, makes up for the thickness. 99% of the time, it is ok. When you need extra precision, use the dot/diamond. THIS STRESSES PERSONAL PREFERENCES. look at them all cause if you dont, you will never stop second guessing your decision. Personal pref is important. I dont like other things about the SS scope, but others dont mind it.
3-literally BUY ONCE CRY ONCE, dont just say it cause it sounds cool (but only after you look at all the options available). Say it cause it will save you money dowwn the road. and it will.

4-seriously look at the HDMR with the G2 rect. That scope will not dissappoint. Only reason not to get it is its not illumiated, which 99% of us will not use anyways.

Rant over. Slainte'

Good luck sir,
Regards,
DT

Im buying a new scope, so? hahaha dont know where some of your comments came from. Like shooting FGMM but not spending over 1800-2k on a scope? IMO thats decent change on a scope for someone that is doing it for pure pleasure. And from what Ive been reading all over, you can even score a decent scope sub $1000 if one wanted to. None the less, the FGMM can be had at 18 a box plus a bit for shipping. The R&G is good from the reviews Ive read yes, but either or is fine too. And by me saying buy once cry once and you saying whoa? Not sure what that was directed at. The Menace came on the gun when I bought it, but decided its well not up to par with the rifle. So thats why Im not buying a more fit optic for what I would need more so down the road than now. Im new yes, but Id rather get something while I can and that will work now and later.

There are several very good scopes for sub-1000.
Weaver tactical 3-15, they have an updated 4-20 coming out soon. Both FFP, make sure you get mil/mil

Vortex Viper PST,4-16 or 6-24

Bushnell tactical 3-12 or 6-24

All below 1000. All good scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are several very good scopes for sub-1000.
Weaver tactical 3-15, they have an updated 4-20 coming out soon. Both FFP, make sure you get mil/mil

Vortex Viper PST,4-16 or 6-24

Bushnell tactical 3-12 or 6-24

All below 1000. All good scopes. </div></div>

I wouldnt recommend the new weaver tac 4-20, its good, but its a standard mildot and only has 55 MOA of travel compared to the 100 MOA on the 3-15x, which is my recommendation for a sub $1000 scope.

Unless your Falcon isn't working properly, I would just use what you have. The Falcon can be a decent starter scope. Go buy some ammo and practice. Once you have established yourself as a certified "gun nut", then start upgrading the toys.

Just my opinion.

I can understand the "buy once - cry once" mentality. However, since you have already acquired the scope (at least indirectly), might as well give it a go.

to me $2K is a huge scope budget. the used optics FS forum here has some good stuff at good prices lately. you really ought to check it out NF,USO,IOR etc. save you a bunch of $ for ammo. have bought and sold used optics here with zero problems.

Yeah I plan on buying used too. I dont mind spending the money upfront on it. I know I'll love long range shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wlwaldock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If u are going to spend 2k I would get USO sn3 </div></div>

Then run around 24-2700. I cant stretch that far.

I'd go with the nightforce 3-15 ffp

new if you can afford it

used if you can't

mine is used but it hardly has a mark on it

I think Im going to go with the USO SN3 ERGO 3.2x17x44. Its FFP, has what I need etc.

If you're a "complete noob" like you're saying, and you have equipment now and have not exhausted its potential, why not spend your cash on training, ammo, etc?

Im doing that too. Im working out setting up some classes now with two different people and I have ammo coming in as well.

Here is the SS reticle, it has .05 mil line thickness.

5-20Reticle.jpg

The SS-HD 5-20x50 has 10 mils of travel in one rotation and 30 mils of travel in a 30mm tube.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx

SSHD520X50MQ_.jpg

I have each of these scope listed. Each of them are GTG. Bottom line, you narrowed it down to a good selection. While S&B or USO are bound to be great scopes, you really will not be disappointed with your current selection and they will serve you well.

I did find a few SN3s in the FS section, but Im now hearing that USOs have lens issues and or dust issues? I made a new thread to get opinions on both the F1 and the Sn3 as that is what I narrowed it down to.

Just remember, you get what you pay for...

Don't expect a $400 scope to perform as a $1000 scope and dont think a $1000 scope will do was a $2000 scope has to offer..

IF your chasing MOA, go USO-NF-SB or stay home because a SS wont do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matthewusmc8791</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just remember, you get what you pay for...

Don't expect a $400 scope to perform as a $1000 scope and dont think a $1000 scope will do was a $2000 scope has to offer..

IF your chasing MOA, go USO-NF-SB or stay home <span style="font-weight: bold">because a SS wont do it.</span></div></div>

Oh, is that so? I'm sure there are several on here who would beg to differ as they own and have used the SS HD 5-20 with good results.

I voted for the Super Sniper! I'll put mines glass and mechanical repeatability up against the NF or the Vortex. USO are nice but I'm not using my scope to pull a truck any time soon. And one you get use to it that reticile is the cats meow.

I'm not an expert but the saying has always been true that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I voted for NIGHTFORCE but also would buy USO,you can never beat quality. once you get one of those you will only be crying until you open the box then it will only be joy.