• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which scope mount is best for the M-1A

Silverbullet2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2009
Near Seattle, Wa.
I tried to use the search and found nothing.
Which M-1A scope mount is best in your experience? I have read that the Springfield Armory one shoots loose. I have read that the ARMS is a good one. This will be going on a SOCOM 16 in a J Allen stock. Thanks, JPG

Re: Which scope mount is best for the M-1A

Most M1A shooters say the Smiths is the best. Some receivers are out of spec and I believe Smiths will adjust the mount to compensate for this issue. Personally I have the ARMS mounts and rings and have not had any problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most M1A shooters say the Smiths is the best. Some receivers are out of spec and I believe Smiths will adjust the mount to compensate for this issue. Personally I have the ARMS mounts and rings and have not had any problems.</div></div>

I've not heard of Smith doing this, but Sadlak definitely does. If you don't have an LRB M25 (built-in rail), then Sadlak would be my choice...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulyosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most M1A shooters say the Smiths is the best. Some receivers are out of spec and I believe Smiths will adjust the mount to compensate for this issue. Personally I have the ARMS mounts and rings and have not had any problems.</div></div>

I've not heard of Smith doing this, but Sadlak definitely does. If you don't have an LRB M25 (built-in rail), then Sadlak would be my choice...
</div></div>

I stand corrected. Hope I did not cause confusion. I was going by memory which is the second shortest thing I have.

For best results with a traditional mount go with Smith Enterprise (SEI).
For those of you using the SAGE EBR you can choose from SEI, SAGE and LaRue.

sadlak or SEI

i sent my rifle to SEI to have them mount it and they did a great job

my m1a had a different receiver mount i believe? and didnt work with their mount

My SOCOM 16 is sitting in a JAE 100 G2 stock and I have the Ultimak rail in place of the hand guard and I mounted a Nikon Encore 2.5x - 8x scope on it. I can keep very tight groups at 100 yards with this setup (1" or less from a rest).
b_222701.jpg

I also have a full sized M1A that uses a Sadlak Airborne mount. It has never given me any problems with shooting loose and it fit my receiver without any issues.

My buddy is going with the ARMS mount, and when he gets the J Allen stock, we'll get it all put togeather and post pictures.

Thanks for the knowledge, JPG

Here's the skinny. The smith mount is based on the old Brookfield Precision Tool mount, which was used by snipers in Vietnam. It is rock solid and a battle proven design. The others may work, but it is an unknown. Me, personally...I don't like to do R&D. ARMS, Basset may be wonderful...but who knows. I know the BPT design works. Stay away from copies. Smith, I think, makes the best one. It's steel. It's heavy and it works.

Drop tested my Sadlak mounted M21 2x on concrete from waist height, witnessed.
No loss of zero.
I don't mind doing R&R at all
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Drop tested my Sadlak mounted M21 2x on concrete from waist height, witnessed.
No loss of zero.
I don't mind doing R&R at all
smile.gif
</div></div>

laugh.gif
Sure you can borrow my rifle LOL

Smith Ent makes decent stuff & been at it awhile, the ARMS split rail is nice however discontiued, any of the QUALITY manu's mounts are decent just keep in mind it better be properly torqued with loctite or they can shake loose - even the LRB 25 setup has come loose on me.

The Sage stock setup been decent with the stripper guide mount.

Honestly, after carrying a basic M14 in combat for over a year, I can find very little to fault it in its original, totally unmodified state. It's a main battle rifle, and as such, I believe it to be about the ultimate evolutionary product of that process.

I also think that the troubles begin when people try to make something else out of it. It will do a lot of other tasks, but I really think none of those tasks are as well done by the modified M14 than by something else that had its origins a lot closer to the final application than the M14's.

It's not an assault rifle.

If it's a designated marksman's rifle, it's probably pretty good in its latest evolutionary stage, but I simply have to say that that stage is practically unrecognizable to this old Marine Rufleman, and that I also suspect there are better examples of rifles made for such applications.

My money would be on a gas piston operated AR10-ish platform.

Maybe the best recommendation for conversion of the M14 into a DMR is simply that they are already in the inventory as a basic foundation for modification. But I also think it's poor economy to have to build a rifle twice for a single application.

Greg

Tried a Gen 3 Springfield mount and it was junk ... came loose constantly. Went to a Sadlak ... problem solved.

After using the modernized M14 since 2004 I find it hard to
go back to an M14 that is not somewhat or totally modified.

H2O MAN

I like my M1-A's / M-14's old school just like they came out of Springfield Armory. IMO when you start to modernize them with Sage stocks, optics, rails etc. it starts to look like an AR-10. To me the M-14 is the sexiest battle rifle ever produced, thats what made me buy my first one back in '82. If you want an AR-10 buy one,but dont try to rebuild a classic battle rifle into something it was never meant to be. JMO.

The LRB is one of the very few BUILT IN to the receiver. No side-loaded screws to torque and break off or to loosen.

831_M25_Rail_3.JPG

831_M25_without_rail.JPG

831_M25_Rail_2.JPG

A REALLY good and talented gunsmith can weld on a legacy receiver, but I'm sure it'll cost you.

Hands-down the SADLAK. It locks up extremely tight and its lightweight

I run the Sadlak titanium scope mounts on both my M1As. I believe they are the best mounts available. Very costly at just under $400 each. You can not beat the customer service from Sadlak. Great people with USA made products.

mijopa,

Nice looking rail mount but I'd flip those quick release rings to the other side of the rifle. The ejecting brass has a hard enough time avoiding your scope turrets & scope base, let alone hitting the quick release levers. Plus, there would be more room to help clear a jam.

I'm personally sold on the Sadlak and went this direction solely due to the included receiver spec kit. If installed correctly it will hold zero and causes no extraction issues. A rock solid platform.

271-uso2.jpg

253-img-0008.jpg

I have run a few different mounts on M1A's. I like Smith Ent. extended picatinny (7") rail the best. To me it is easier to set eye relief and to space rings further apart to better support the scope, especially if you are running a big scope like a Nightforce or Xotic. I am computer stupid but if you check my old posts I have a picture of scope and mount in my M1A for sale thread. I used a gen 2 SA scope mount years ago. I was seriously unimpressed by it !

david