• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which scope would you go with?

D-RAS03

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2006
PA
After one year of research iv narrowed it down to two scopes.
US Optics SN-3 or Nightforce F1
what would you chose. Wait time not an issue. I'm sorry guys I know this stuff is asked about everyday here. Thanks a lot

ETA: The sn-3 I'm looking at is the 3.2-17x44 or 58mm with the 30 or 35mm tube.

Re: Which scope would you go with?

I like US Optics they seem to be one of the better scopes going around
you would not go wrong with nightforce ether

my next scope will be a us optic
cool.gif

.Dave

For shooting paper I'd choose the NF for its 15x power. It doesn't hurt to have the extra power there if you need it.

premier reticles. but of your two US optics and get the latest upgrade with a level inside the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For shooting paper I'd choose the NF for its 15x power. It doesn't hurt to have the extra power there if you need it. </div></div>

The US Optics scope I was looking at was the 3.2-17.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">premier reticles. but of your two US optics and get the latest upgrade with a level inside the scope.

</div></div>

premier was one of my choices but after all the research I gave up on it. I really didn't like one thing about that scope. What's this latest upgrade with a level inside the scope?

Have you looked at or thought of a Vortex Razor. If you have not I think you may want to do some research on it. Not just because I have one but I also think they are awesome scopes and priced right. Glass is up there with or better than what you have listed. If I had to pick it would be a USO just because of the built in the USA part. They were just out of my price range when I was looking for a scope to buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-RAS03</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For shooting paper I'd choose the NF for its 15x power. It doesn't hurt to have the extra power there if you need it. </div></div>

The US Optics scope I was looking at was the 3.2-17. </div></div>

Ah I see. I'd probably go with the USO (if I could only pick between the two).

44mm bell, 35mm tube, EREK, good to go.

Nightforce makes one hell of a scope, there tough reliable repeatable good glass and are priced better than USO, GET A NIGHTFORCE!

+1
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce makes one hell of a scope, there tough reliable repeatable good glass and are priced better than USO, GET A NIGHTFORCE! </div></div>

I dont know how many times I have seen these nightforce/uso comparisons. You want to know what is the better piece of kit. Try to trade a Nightforce for a USO on here. It will not happen.

I have had a post open for 6 months in the WTT. Not one single offer even to trade a 10x uso for a nightforce. There is no comparison. I will agree that I like nightforce's price better than uso but believe me, there is a reason the USO's cost more.

if you dont know the answer to thar question already, there is only obe solution...both. they are both great, you need to try both to find which works best for YOU.

I have been treated well by the Nightforce that I own. It is probably my favorite scope and the folks up at Nightforce have always been very helpful. That said, I have a USO on the way also. Just had to try one. The folks there are good to deal with also and Becky will get you answers in no time flat. If I added no clarity to your question, then I have accomplished my mission.

your opinion will soon be different. please post again when the initial shock wears off

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce makes one hell of a scope, there tough reliable repeatable good glass and are priced better than USO, GET A NIGHTFORCE! </div></div>

+1 All the way.

I would take a Vortex Razor 1st, NF second and wouldn't consider a USO after the horror stories and terrible turn arounds from their customer service. Get a Razor or NF and not worry about it. Also, has the USO and Razor side by side. Razor wins hands down in every category but weight.

If you want omething peronnal with options and features you deem as necessary then get a USO but if a one size fit all is good for you get the NF. Both are great but the USO lets you get the reticle, the color, the color of the lit reticle (if ordered, turret types......... list goes on. So what do you really want?

NightForce. I prefer the NXS 5.5-22x56 With the NP-R1. I like the extra power while the 5.5 is low enough for me for upclose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OK260AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would take a Vortex Razor 1st, NF second and wouldn't consider a USO after the horror stories and terrible turn arounds from their customer service. Get a Razor or NF and not worry about it. Also, has the USO and Razor side by side. Razor wins hands down in every category but weight. </div></div>

what horror stories? All I have heard bad about them was they had tracking problems in the past.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OK260AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would take a Vortex Razor 1st, NF second and wouldn't consider a USO after the horror stories and terrible turn arounds from their customer service. Get a Razor or NF and not worry about it. Also, has the USO and Razor side by side. Razor wins hands down in every category but weight. </div></div>

Razor, then NF, then USO..........interesting. Horror stories on USO's customer service?
I see marijuana must still be OK's biggest cash crop, because you must be smoking something brother! Are you saying you "has the USO and Razor side by side"?

USO SN3 any day.

I had a USO scope that went back to the factory to get a fingerprint cleaned off from the <span style="font-weight: bold">inside</span> of the lens. USO promised that it would be back within 2 weeks which turned into 3 months. In all fairness I didn't communicate with them that I was irritated and to speed it the fuck up, but when I did lose my patience and sent out an angry email I had it back the following week.

I have never had to use Nightforce's customer service so I can't really say how good/bad it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a USO scope that went back to the factory to get a fingerprint cleaned off from the <span style="font-weight: bold">inside</span> of the lens. USO promised that it would be back within 2 weeks which turned into 3 months. In all fairness I didn't communicate with them that I was irritated and to speed it the fuck up, but when I did lose my patience and sent out an angry email I had it back the following week.

I have never had to use Nightforce's customer service so I can't really say how good/bad it is. </div></div>

That's pretty awful. Three months for a fingerprint? I see on nightforces website that they inspect everything to make sure it's perfect before it leaves. Does anyone have any idea why USO does not do this? Or do they? And things just slip by? I remember when I first got into long range shooting it seemed like everyone loved USO. What happened? I guess leupold mark 4's were once a great scope too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-RAS03</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a USO scope that went back to the factory to get a fingerprint cleaned off from the <span style="font-weight: bold">inside</span> of the lens. USO promised that it would be back within 2 weeks which turned into 3 months. In all fairness I didn't communicate with them that I was irritated and to speed it the fuck up, but when I did lose my patience and sent out an angry email I had it back the following week.

I have never had to use Nightforce's customer service so I can't really say how good/bad it is. </div></div>

That's pretty awful. Three months for a fingerprint? I see on nightforces website that they inspect everything to make sure it's perfect before it leaves. Does anyone have any idea why USO does not do this? Or do they? And things just slip by? I remember when I first got into long range shooting it seemed like everyone loved USO. What happened? I guess leupold mark 4's were once a great scope too. </div></div>

The slip inside the box my USO came in said it was inspected and passed, maybe someone just had a bad day?

Personally I would not ever own another USO but other people haven't seem to have had problems and love their USOs (every time I post that I have a problem with USO I seem to get flamed). I owned 3 USO scopes previously and every single one of them had a 'quirk' that needed to be fixed.

In their defense, its a lot harder to have consistent QC when you are making custom items handmade by different people in one shop (according to the receipts for my USOs IIRC, each one was assembled start t finish by one dude). Having worked in a QC manufacturing environment before, I can tell you that the more uniform a product is, the easier it is to assemble and QC: each person down the assembly line is responsible for one part of the finished product and knows their part extremely well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-RAS03</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a USO scope that went back to the factory to get a fingerprint cleaned off from the <span style="font-weight: bold">inside</span> of the lens. USO promised that it would be back within 2 weeks which turned into 3 months. In all fairness I didn't communicate with them that I was irritated and to speed it the fuck up, but when I did lose my patience and sent out an angry email I had it back the following week.

That's pretty awful. Three months for a fingerprint? I see on nightforces website that they inspect everything to make sure it's perfect before it leaves. Does anyone have any idea why USO does not do this? Or do they? And things just slip by? I remember when I first got into long range shooting it seemed like everyone loved USO. What happened? I guess leupold mark 4's were once a great scope too. </div></div>

The slip inside the box my USO came in said it was inspected and passed, maybe someone just had a bad day?

Personally I would not ever own another USO but other people haven't seem to have had problems and love their USOs (every time I post that I have a problem with USO I seem to get flamed). I owned 3 USO scopes previously and every single one of them had a 'quirk' that needed to be fixed.

In their defense, its a lot harder to have consistent QC when you are making custom items handmade by different people in one shop (according to the receipts for my USOs IIRC, each one was assembled start t finish by one dude). Having worked in a QC manufacturing environment before, I can tell you that the more uniform a product is, the easier it is to assemble and QC: each person down the assembly line is responsible for one part of the finished product and knows their part extremely well. </div></div>

what was wrong with the other USO's you had? Did the problems get resolved?

Don't let sickeness scare you. He obviously had a bad experience with USO. If you look into his post history you will find he seems to go out of his way to share his negative experience as much as possible when he noticed anyone asking about USO.

USO is an American company, your scope would be built by American employees in a shop in Brea CA. These are humans, and any item manufactured by such is prone to imperfections.

On the other hand, try PM'ing or calling the other top tier manufacuters' owners, lead sales guys or reps and asking questions about their product or product line....

Try asking Nightforce or S&B to put the windage knob on the left side for a specific application........

Try asking Hensoldt to put a different reticle in their scope........

See if you can get any of them to install a zero stop on a used scope to the zero that you have set on your rifle for you, on a turret that doesn't come with a zero stop, and return it within 1/2 moa of where it was set when sent in-without damaging the cerakote.....

See how many of the above have scopes or full gift certificates for their product on prize tables at damn near every precision rifle match.....

See if their owner/CEO will walk you through disassembling/reassembling their product at home so you don't have to send it in (with the assurrance that if the job gets too crazy you can send it in and they'll put it back together)..........

Ask them to make you a one off turret marked better for your needs than what they offer on the model you bought..........

Am I a USO fan? Oh hell yes. The above is just a part of my PERSONAL experience with the scopes of theirs I've had, and of the six I've had, only one was bought new.

I do not have emotional attachment from a large investment, I have huge appreciation for the support they've shown me and the shooting community.

I asked JBW#3 once if he'd cover any issues on ascope of thiers I was looking to buy used. His response was essentially "It says US Optics on it, you're covered"..........

Just my opinion however, take it for what its worth.

if he had legitimate problems with USO then I appreciate him sharing "his negative experience" just as I appreciate you sharing your positive experiences.

Sobr, classic post. That is the reason my first high-dollar scope purchase will be coming from USO. When humans are involved in the manufacturing process (as they are at USO), I think a certain amount of error can be expected. However, I've seen on here time-and-time again where JBW#3 stands behind his product and I have yet to hear him say, "No, we can't do that." I like what there company is about and can't wait to give them a shot.

Keep in mind that I do not own a USO, so to some extent, I'm talking out my ass.

USo seems to have all the features you could ever want and will build a scope the way you wish. there is a lot to be said for that. Thier optics are simply amazing too.

However I too have had some issues with QC and Customer support. my fisrt and only USO had the illumination knob fall off, they couldnt seem to get the correct elevation knob to me in spite of 4 tries all accompanied by specific descriptions including micrometer measurements, and adonization flakes found thier way off the inside of the tube and onto the glass after 1000 rounds of 556 or so.

All seems fine now, and it only took them 2 trips to the factory and about 5-6 packages to me over the course of a year to get it figured out.

In short my opinion is that USO has the <span style="text-decoration: underline">features</span> you want, but <span style="font-weight: bold">the execution may be off</span>. as with everything, buyer beware. Just because you paid $2000+ for your scope dont mean it will be a $2000 + scope. Oddly enough you rarely hear that comment made about other companies.

One advantage of USO is all the options are a-la carte - pick and choose.
One disadvantage of USO is all the options are a-la carte - you pay for each and every one of them.

For me Razor HD was the best balance between quality, features and cost.

If you decide to roll w/ USO or if you need clarification for some of the options (or lesser known options) feel free to give me a shout/e-mail.

Cheers,

Doc

Both are great scopes, but i would choose us optics

What is the application that you are using the scope for??

I'm a NF fan (either 3.5-15 or 5.5-22) have both of these on my .308's. I also put a DL Sports elevation turret on them. The fastest way to NOT have a helmet fire when dialing multiple distances (as I've seen with an MOA marked knob and a range card). I make a windage card in both MOA & Mils so that I can either hold off on the horizontal line or dial wind for a dead center reticle hold.

NF has GREAT customer service (even when I screwed up and it was MY fault).

What if for some reason you decide to sell the scope? Which one would sell fastest?

Personally I'm also sold on the Zeiss 4.5-14x44 (got 2 of them) with the Rapid Z-1000 reticle. Don't bash it until you've tried it. It's goof proof when shooting at varying distances. And no helmet fire's when the clock is running since you've got no knobs to dial.

NF all the way. You just don't hear about too many NF's going down as much as you hear about USOs having issues. And I would say that NF sells a hell of a lot more scopes too, giving them more chances of error.

What are some problems nightforce has had? Iv never heard of any.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack-O</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just because you paid $2000+ for your scope dont mean it will be a $2000 + scope. </div></div>
That is what some would say about the NF. Of the two scopes asked about, I would go SN-3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't let sickeness scare you. He obviously had a bad experience with USO. If you look into his post history you will find he seems to go out of his way to share his negative experience as much as possible when he noticed anyone asking about USO.

USO is an American company, your scope would be built by American employees in a shop in Brea CA. These are humans, and any item manufactured by such is prone to imperfections.

On the other hand, try PM'ing or calling the other top tier manufacuters' owners, lead sales guys or reps and asking questions about their product or product line....

Try asking Nightforce or S&B to put the windage knob on the left side for a specific application........

Try asking Hensoldt to put a different reticle in their scope........

See if you can get any of them to install a zero stop on a used scope to the zero that you have set on your rifle for you, on a turret that doesn't come with a zero stop, and return it within 1/2 moa of where it was set when sent in-without damaging the cerakote.....

See how many of the above have scopes or full gift certificates for their product on prize tables at damn near every precision rifle match.....

See if their owner/CEO will walk you through disassembling/reassembling their product at home so you don't have to send it in (with the assurrance that if the job gets too crazy you can send it in and they'll put it back together)..........

Ask them to make you a one off turret marked better for your needs than what they offer on the model you bought..........

Am I a USO fan? Oh hell yes. The above is just a part of my PERSONAL experience with the scopes of theirs I've had, and of the six I've had, only one was bought new.

I do not have emotional attachment from a large investment, I have huge appreciation for the support they've shown me and the shooting community.

I asked JBW#3 once if he'd cover any issues on ascope of thiers I was looking to buy used. His response was essentially "It says US Optics on it, you're covered"..........

Just my opinion however, take it for what its worth.

</div></div>

And just how many S&B, Nightforce, or Hensoldts exactly have you owned? No offense but I don't think its really appropriate to say USO is the best when you have never owned anything else in the same league.

It gets tiring listening to you and your buddies making personal attacks against me and questioning my motives every time I say anything negative about USO. I understand that some members here have spent a lot of money on USO scopes and therefore want to believe they are the best and completely infallible. In my case that was just not so, I had bad experiences with both their product line and customer service: deal with it.

I don't go starting threads proclaiming USO sucks, I just make it known that these issues are out there when people ask. I guess I'm just a terrible person and a troll for wanting to spare someone else from having to go through the same debacles I've had with the company by putting my personal experiences out there.

I've stated on several occasions that I think John is a terrific fellow and that their scopes have a few great features not found on any other scope. I never claimed that USO refused to fix my scopes (they even fixed the ones I bought secondhand), I would have just preferred to buy scopes that never had issues in the first place.

I've had my Nightforce NSX 3.5-15X50 SFP scope since March of 2005. Bought it from WES @ MSTN.
It's mounted in a LaRue Tactical SPR-E but has also spent time in regular and QD rings.
I've used it on at least 8 or 10 rifles in that time, mostly built ARs being checked for accuracy and ammo compatibility.
It has always been the scope of choice for my LMT 16" SS MRP, as the 1/7 twist barrel is an excellent performer with a variety of ammo loads.
In all that time with many many rounds fired, under a variety of conditions, I have had exactly zero problems with it.
I would love to get it upgraded to a Mil reticle with Mil turrets but they ain't never gonna get this one back from me!

I absolutely love my SN-3 scopes, but this NSX is in a class by itself.

I have no idea which to go with. I have always wanted a USO and thought nightforce was ok. No one around me has either scope so looking at them first is out of the question. I am kinda leaning more towards a nightforce now but still have no idea. I never thought buying a scope would be this hard. Does anyone have a good through the scope picture of the nightforce MLR reticle? I can't find one decent picture. Thanks guys.

Here's my take I have had both scopes you are looking at, I sold the NF, kept the USO. I also have a S&B PMII to compare the USO to. The NF had slightly less quality glass and low light resolution than USO. Overall quality just by handling the parts also gave USO the upper hand. I'm not saying the NF is a bad scope, it's not. I would buy based on which one you get the better deal for and what features are more important to you. One thing that I know USO is great at as I just posted in another thread about this is customer service, it can't be beat IMO in this area of optics.

A while back, I left Leupold for NF because of QC issues that had me beyond frustrated. A couple years later, I found myself behind a USO. I left NF for USO not because there are any problmes with NF, but because the USO quality, customer service, and turrets are second to none.

But, in al reality, it boils down to preference, especially in the reticle/turret department. USO has EVERYONE beat there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-RAS03</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a USO scope that went back to the factory to get a fingerprint cleaned off from the <span style="font-weight: bold">inside</span> of the lens. USO promised that it would be back within 2 weeks which turned into 3 months. In all fairness I didn't communicate with them that I was irritated and to speed it the fuck up, but when I did lose my patience and sent out an angry email I had it back the following week.

Had a Nightforce F-1 with a DOA Zero-Stop. All of the above are mechanical devices. IF and that is a big if they are used, they will ALL fail given time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a USO scope that went back to the factory to get a fingerprint cleaned off from the <span style="font-weight: bold">inside</span> of the lens. USO promised that it would be back within 2 weeks which turned into 3 months. In all fairness I didn't communicate with them that I was irritated and to speed it the fuck up, but when I did lose my patience and sent out an angry email I had it back the following week.

Squeeky wheel.

I sent something back to USO and it sat for a few weeks. Made a couple of calls to check in on it and then PM'ed JWB3 here. I had it the next week. USO is busy but they are responsive and do what they say. I am very impressed by their CS.

I have only looked through one NF (several times) it is not as crisp as a USO. Plus the USO comes the way you want it.

I voted USO.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-RAS03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no idea which to go with. I have always wanted a USO and thought nightforce was ok. No one around me has either scope so looking at them first is out of the question. I am kinda leaning more towards a nightforce now but still have no idea. I never thought buying a scope would be this hard. Does anyone have a good through the scope picture of the nightforce MLR reticle? I can't find one decent picture. Thanks guys. </div></div>

Depending on what you are looking for I may be able to send you a sample to view. Shoot me a line on your specs and I will do what I can to get something in your hands to look at.

It probably won't be pretty as I have a tendency to throw rifles and optics down range and drop them on the floor just to watch people jump
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

I say USO. I have a SN3 now and it is awesome. Several years ago I had a SN4 on a 50BMG and broke it. I got the scope in a trade, called USO and told them the deal. I sent it back and had it fixed and on a rifle in a month at no cost to me, even tho I was not the original purchaser. That is standing behind your product. Thanks for making a great scope USO !! JBW#3 is GTG I cant speak for NF, I have never owned one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-RAS03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no idea which to go with. I have always wanted a USO and thought nightforce was ok. No one around me has either scope so looking at them first is out of the question. I am kinda leaning more towards a nightforce now but still have no idea. I never thought buying a scope would be this hard. Does anyone have a good through the scope picture of the nightforce MLR reticle? I can't find one decent picture. Thanks guys. </div></div>

Depending on what you are looking for I may be able to send you a sample to view. Shoot me a line on your specs and I will do what I can to get something in your hands to look at.

It probably won't be pretty as I have a tendency to throw rifles and optics down range and drop them on the floor just to watch people jump
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

hey doc I called and left you a message. Look forward to hearing from you.