• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which scope would you put ?

Progun1911

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2019
Hi , I just bought a Tikka CTR 6.5CM with a 20 in barrel . I removed the 0 MOA rail that came on the rifle and put a Mountain Tactical 20 MOA rail in it's place. This rifle is a range toy only, as I have other hunting rifles. The two ranges around me that I haven't been to yet have a 600 yd, and the other a 900 yd range .

What scope would you put on this rifle ? I might get to shoot further in the future ,that's why I put the 20 MOA rail . I didn't want to limit the rifle because of the scope. I've been leaning towards the Gen II Vortex scopes because of price but for a few hundred more I like a few of the Night Force scopes.

What do you think would be the perfect scope for this rifle ? I want to see what others think, so I can tell if I'm on the right track as long distance shooting is new to me. Thanks !

1) What is your budget for the optic?
2) Is your only use plinking at the range?
3) Are there any other factors toconsider? i.e weight, FFP/SFP, reticle style, etc

Anything decent in the 3-15 or 3-18 range would be sufficient but a 5-25 will also work just as well.

Maybe like you said, a second gen vortex. I'm guessing the viper PST or the razor, depending on your budget.

Budget is 1000 to maybe 1700 tops. Range toy only paper and steel targets. The rest is what I'm trying to figure out with suggestions.

If you owned this rifle what would you put for a scope ?

I just ordered an Athlon Cronus BTR. It's on sale for 1400$. I was looking at Vortex Gen II and a Steiner T5XI. From what I've heard it directly competes with either. And is 500-700$ cheaper. It doesn't come with caps or a sunshade. The sunshade is only 30$. Hopefully I made the right decision. I originally was going to go with the Steiner because it's on sale for 1600$. The only problem is that it was in MOA. FYI I am new to long range shooting as well. So take my opinion how you want. Athlon is worth considering. I based my decision off of previous threads.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I just ordered an Athlon Cronus BTR. It's on sale for 1400$. I was looking at Vortex Gen II and a Steiner T5XI. From what I've heard it directly competes with either. And is 500-700$ cheaper. It doesn't come with caps or a sunshade. The sunshade is only 30$. Hopefully I made the right decision. I originally was going to go with the Steiner because it's on sale for 1600$. The only problem is that it was in MOA. FYI I am new to long range shooting as well. So take my opinion how you want. Athlon is worth considering. I based my decision off of previous threads.
I have been looking at Athlon also ,hell I've been looking at all the scopes. LOL ! That's why I looking for input ,because of all the different scopes.

The worst thing is I haven't been able to look through any of the scopes I'm thinking about. I'm going to have to take a ride up to Gainesville FL Bass Pro to see if they have any I can look at ,soon !

I’d look at a used Razor Gen 2 if you can spend 1700 you can almost get a new one for that if you watch the px section on here. Hard to beat for the money just a little on the heavy side but for a range toy it’s a good choice.

I have a Razor Gen 2 4.5-27 on my Tikka .223 range gun and don't feel it is too much scope. Its a range gun only.

I have been looking for awhile myself. I looked at Luepold, Steiner, Kahles, Nightforce, Vortex gen 1 and 2, etc... My favorite was the Kahles. It was also 3000$ my 2nd was the vortex gen II(2000$), 3rd was the Steiner. I actually havent seen the Athlon in person and it's the one I purchased. The glass in the Cronus BTR is Japan just like the Gen II. I have 30 days to decide. I'm going to do a side by side with the Vortex gen II. I think the Vortex is a little better than the Steiner too. I am hoping the Athlon is as good or better than the Vortex. Will see I guess

having one now on my 6.5 cm I would get another delta stryker 5x50x56 34mm sfp think it's still at 1600 dollars , not that I am saying it is good for hunting it may be I personally have never tried it . I love it on stationary targets or spotting others hit or missed shots including my own and have never felt its too much mag either when its all usable maybe when I get a little to excited from seeing a really nice grouping . good luck no matter which scope you choose may it work for you as well as you want it to .

I have been looking for awhile myself. I looked at Luepold, Steiner, Kahles, Nightforce, Vortex gen 1 and 2, etc... My favorite was the Kahles. It was also 3000$ my 2nd was the vortex gen II(2000$), 3rd was the Steiner. I actually havent seen the Athlon in person and it's the one I purchased. The glass in the Cronus BTR is Japan just like the Gen II. I have 30 days to decide. I'm going to do a side by side with the Vortex gen II. I think the Vortex is a little better than the Steiner too. I am hoping the Athlon is as good or better than the Vortex. Will see I guess
Get a hold of Scott at Liberty Optics. He can do better than 2k on the Razor.

Reactions: beetroot
Seeing a lot of NXS 5.5-22x50 scopes in the $1300 range. Could also do a SHV F1 for around $950 used. Been buying a few used Nightforce scopes and very happy with them.

Another vote for a used Razor Gen 2 4.5 - 27. With the Vortex warranty, you don't have to worry too much about pre-purchase abuse.

Scott at liberty optics would be my first call, great prices on Vortex Gen2 Razors.
This would be my choice if weight is no concern.

Between him and Doug at Cameraland you have most manufatures available at great prices.

FYI, I'm a noob with regard to LRS. Be that as it may, I am also in the early stages of putting together a precision 22lr gun and have been reading about scopes here on SH like a madman. If you don't mind saving a few bucks, you might consider the Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56. It has gotten good reviews so far from owners here as well as in the review from BigJimFish. However, if this means anything to you, it has no IR. It's what I am going to purchase when the time comes. I was also considering the Ares ETR but can't quite swing that one (I'm on a strict budget).

Athlon ETR and/or Midas Tac

For a range toy, you don't need to spend more than what you'll spend on one of those (800-1k).
And you'd be hard pressed to beat the glass on those in that price point.
I have the ETR on my tikka and it's amazing glass and value with all it's features.

Call @gr8fuldoug at CameralandNY and he'll take great care of you.

Spend the rest of your money on ammo.

Have a Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50 on my 6.5 and it works quite well. I mostly shoot steel, so it’s a range toy for me as well.

I'm going to have to agree with alot here and cast my vote for either the Razor Gen II or the Burris XTR III. Going to be your best options within that price range as far as glass quality, turrets, and overall build.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
I just went through this same search and the scope you listed, Leupold mk5 3.5x18 has it all, she is very very light.

I have the 5x25 she already kinda regret not just getting the 3.5x18.

They're great scopes