• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Which scope???

1911vm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
Which scope???
I am just starting out and was told by a friend to buy the best glass possible, well the question of the century is what is the best value for a budget of 1,000 to 1,500 max. It is going on a new build.

Re: Which scope???

What caliber is it going on?
What is it going to be used for?
How far are you going to be shooting?

Lots of unknowns?

700 rem. in .308
tactical(sniper) type matches
500y.

From everything I have read, that price range, $1000-$1500 is sort of a dead zone for scopes. Those that are in that price bracket are seen by many as "not worth the money." You may want to save up a bit longer and reach higher.

Your best bet is to find a used Nightforce in the classifieds here on the Hide for a bit more money (perhaps $1650 or $1700). Make sure you do your research and get what you want.

There have been atleast 2 or more NF's for sale in the classys on this forum for less than $1500 in the past couple days. I've seen a couple on long range hunting also.

Yes you can shoot 500 yards with a 3-9 power scope but 5-22 or 6-18 sure helps alot.

I would wait until the Shot show is over. NF is coming out with some new stuff that might interest all shooters. They have made some adds to the scope line.

Got to agree with some of the posts above, 1000-1500 gives you the option to buy a used top notch scope, such as a night force. Figure $300 for rings and bases and you are up around 2000 anyways. Are you looking for a fixed or variable scope, have you had the opportunity to look through a USO or Nightforce or S&B scope to see the optical quality. Look at IOR for value for money, although they get mixed reviews. But try to look through some of the higher priced ones before you buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911vmn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">700 rem. in .308
tactical(sniper) type matches
500y.
</div></div>

Well how about the New Vortex Viper PST? Just Sayin
wink.gif
If not that then in the price you suggested you have
Leupold
Valdada
Sightron
As others have said, with that price range the doors are open.