• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which scopes should I be looking at?

Johnson184

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
My dad has a Savage Mark II without the accutrigger. It shoots .22LR and I don't even think it has anything tapped/ready for a scope mount. I'm guessing I'll have to take it to a gunsmith, any ideas how much that would cost?

My dad's getting up there in years and his eyes aren't as good as they used to be. He wants to shoot it out to 50 yards, but I honestly don't think he can even see the target too well at 25 yards.

He's going on a business trip for a month or so, and I'm hoping to get it set up for him during that time. What sort of scopes should I be looking at? The gun cost $100 so I'm hoping the scope/gunsmith won't cost more than $200. I'm thinking something like 3-9x with a 50mm objective would be best. Hopefully it's FFP with mil/mil, but for that price range... I'm doubting that's possible. Any ideas?

Re: Which scopes should I be looking at?

How about this:

Falcon Menace 7.5x50MM

It's not a variable, but it is MIL/MIL, and it's a fixed power so it does not matter where the focal plane is. Price: $252.51 plus $44.00 shipping from the UK. That the cheapest MIL/MIL scope I can think of.

An cheapest variable I know is the Falcon 4-14x44MM FFP MIL/MIL $322.67 plus shipping from the UK.

Shipping time is 7 business days....Optics Warehouse is GTG.

Bob

Hmm, Thanks for the suggestions, but I guess I'll have to pass. They're a bit more than I'd like to pay. I guess I'll just have to forget about mil/mil and ffp.

Just got back from Wallyworld and they had a Nikon 3-9x50mm for about $200. It used 1/4moa adjustments for elevation/windage. But the thing was meant to be used for zeroing, and then to have the caps screwed back on. (You couldn't adjust the windage/elevation while in use, but I suppose at those ranges with a .22lr not much would be needed anyways)

Guess I'm now looking at 3-9x scopes preferably with a large objective. (Huge difference for the 50mm and 40mm for the Nikons that I looked at) Any ideas? I got pm'd about Bushnells, but I haven't seen those before in comparison to the Nikons.

Well you could try these:

Hawke Airmax scopes

Under well under $200. They also have a 4-12x40MM w/AO.

I've never tried one, but they have some nice features for the price. They are airgun scopes, so should work well on a 22 LR. I like a 22LR to have adjustable parallax, and Hawke has it on both models.

Bob

Famous Maker 4-14x44 FFP Mildot 1/4 moa clicks cost around $175. It's a close copy of the Falcom Menace. It should do just fine on 22 rifle. Here is a picture.

FM_scope_on_Savage_10FP_top.jpg

GC

Go back to Wal Mart & pick up a Center Point 4-16x40. Works good on my MKII FV. You will need a set of rings to fit the groves in the reciver on yours. No drilling required. Buy them a Wal Mart too. You won't spend $100.00 on the stuff.