• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which semi .308?

BarrettHunter

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2009
Nevada
M1A in JAE or DPMS LR 308? Im looking for an accurate 600yd and under hunting rifle and I want one of these. Never handled either.

Re: which semi .308?

M1A+JAE=Too heavy to hunt with

AR10 or LR308 would be a better choice if you must have a semi.

I have been playing with an FN AR in 3-08 for a few weeks, they guarantee it to shoot 1 moa and it will beat that all day long with good ammo. I have owned M1A super match's and a dpms, the fn wins hands down for a semi and it will compete with a lot of bolt guns out there other than the high dollar custom builds the only down fall I have against the FN is the price of extra magazines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BarrettHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M1A in JAE ...</div></div>

As mentioned, this combo is very heavy.

Consider a tight fitting USGI synthetic stock or the Mod 1 version of the SAGE EBR stock.

Both will be much lighter than the JAE.

This...

Suppressed-MK14-Mod1.jpg

This....

34zm0ya.jpg

I've owned both, and the M1A is a fine CMP high power competition rifle, but lacks the flexibility / modularity of the AR-style rifle.

And my DPMS shoots 0.50 MoA.

In fairness, it'd be hard to hump this rifle to alot of places that you'd be taking a 600 yard shot. It ain't light - prolly 12 lbs in the above configuration.

Actually, I wouldn't get EITHER of these choices as a 600 yard hunting rifle, but that's just me.

Put your name in for a LaRue OSR. Granted it may be awhile but I posed the same question to a buddy of mine who has shot them all and he said hands down get a LaRue. Lighter than most and accurate as hell.
CC

According to Mark, the OSR is supposed to start shipping this week for those with an order for a 16" with the longer lengths in about 2 months.

At least that was the story on Sunday.

If I wanted a hunting rifle, I'd buy a lightweight bolt gun. If I expected to shoot 600 yards with it, I'd make sure it was in a flat shooting and hard hitting caliber. (7mm or .300)

If I could choose only from your options, I'd pick the DPMS, only because the M14 lacks the pinpoint accuracy necessary to shoot an animal at that kind of distance.

I own a LR-308 and shoot matches with it. Only the custom bolt guns shoot better IMO. Have no issues holding .75 moa with handloads

I have a buddy with a FNAR. It seems like a well balanced rifle. My friend said that it was plenty accurate. I was shooting it a while back and it stopped cycling. You could hardly move the bolt. I have no idea what the problem was. (The last time I ask my friend about it he said he hadn't taken it in yet.) It seemed to me like it would have been pretty difficult to disassemble and clean, especially for a so-called tactical rifle. Certainly, nothing like an AR-10 or a bolt action.

I would get an LWRC REPR. (Mine is on the way.) They are reported to be pretty accurate and should be super reliable with the piston action. My 2 LWRC 5.56s have each seen well over 1000 rds w/o a single problem. Every bullet was sent down range and the next one in the mag was always loaded.

LWRC is nice....But is it gonna be more accurate than the DPMS or any other AR config? The FN is a no go...My buddy has one and it just isnt what im looking for.

Got a price range you're trying to fit in with? My brother has a 16" LR-308, maybe the sportical version? It's a bit heavier than my 6.8 I use hunting but still manageable. He hasn't had an opportunity to shoot it over 200yds yet but it was decent that far.

I'm sure the Larue or LWRC are much higher quality rifles but the cost reflects it. I'd like to get a JAE stock for my M14 but not something I'd care to hump through the woods. I'm not a fan of DPMS for real-world needs but I must say that I find the quality of that DPMS gun to be acceptable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I wanted a hunting rifle, I'd buy a lightweight bolt gun. If I expected to shoot 600 yards with it, I'd make sure it was in a flat shooting and hard hitting caliber. (7mm or .300)

. </div></div>

I agree.

With a very light rifle, the recoil will be substantial. But recoil lasts for only a second. Humping a heavy rifle goes on all day long.

Between the two go with the M1A. Not sure how much the JAE weighs but my SA M1A standard and Sage EBR weigh in at 16 lbs with bipod and scope installed. Its got rail for installing bipod or forward mounted scope or any other accessory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BarrettHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Im looking for an accurate 600yd and under hunting rifle and I want one of these. </div></div>

You are getting some great suggestions, but most are very heavy.

I'll amend my original recommendation by suggestion an M14 with a standard profile 18.0" barrel.
Put it in a tight fitting USGI synthetic stock with a traditional scope mount from SEI or Sadlak.
If you have more money to spend get a SAGE Mod 1 stock and use the LaRue LT-608 or M14DCSB from SAGE.

Good luck!