• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which small rifle magnum primer for 6.5 Creedmoor

dmuffman80

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
I am using Lapua brass with small primer shooting Hornady 140 gr ELD MATCH.
I have the following primers:
Wolf small rifle magnum
CCI small rifle magnum number 450
Remington 6 1/2 small rifle

Which do you recommend and why?
Thanks hide!

I personally use cci 450s

I would try the wolf’s if they were still available but alas.

Rem 6.5s are going to have to thin of of cup. You would want rem 7.5s in this application

So for me it would be a toss up between the wolf’s and cci. I’ve only read stuff about wolf on the inter webs and people seemed to like them

I’ve used the fed 205M and 205M-AR (Lapua srp brass) with good results.

Reactions: dmuffman80
The Remington 6 1/2 primer is for lower pressure rifle ammo like 22 Hornet and 30 Carbine. They're not for the high pressure rifles. The 7 1/2 's will work there.

The CCI 450's are the choice for most for the small primer 6.5 CM brass.

I’d lean towards whichever you can restock. I don’t like reworking loads, so switching primers when I run out is undesirable. CCI 450s still tend to pop up more than Fed 205M, and are also interchangeable with CCI 41s in a bolt gun if needed. So that’s my vote.

Reactions: myronman3
I have equal amounts of Wolf and CCI 450.
The Wolf primers failed to detonate 3 out of fifty rounds in brand new Lapua SR.
Also the H 4350 was very Variable in Velocities with SDs from 30 to 100.
First I’m going back to use CCI but before I do I’m going to check my RCBS powder dispenser.

I have equal amounts of Wolf and CCI 450.
The Wolf primers failed to detonate 3 out of fifty rounds in brand new Lapua SR.
Also the H 4350 was very Variable in Velocities with SDs from 30 to 100.
First I’m going back to use CCI but before I do I’m going to check my RCBS powder dispenser.
I haven’t tried the Wolf small primers, but it was just the opposite for the large primers. I get single digit sd’s with the Wolf and 10-15 with CCI match. I run the 450’s in my creed and don’t plan on changing.

What powder are you using? The further you get from full fill, especially in the cold w/a temp sensitive powder, the bigger a deal primers are going to be.

What powder are you using? The further you get from full fill, especially in the cold w/a temp sensitive powder, the bigger a deal primers are going to be.
41.7 gr H4350 which is very temp stable in Lapua brass. 20 degrees is the coldest I have shot that combo in and I did not have any issues. I have alot of Staball 6.5 powder which I need to try soon and I will report back with any issues in cold weather.

I'm brand new to this forum and 6.5 reloading...lots of shotgun reloading and pistol.

Just wondering if I can reload 6.5 with the following on hand supplies, or if I need to make some purchases:
Federal GM205MAR primer (small rifle)
Hornady 160 gr RN
Hodgdon BL-C(2) powder (I've not researched yet, but anticipate approx 39 gr?)

thanks for any advice/help

Hornady 160 gr RN

BL-C2 is too fast for that bullet. Pick a slower powder.
Check your lands measurement with this bullet before loading. It's going to load up short, and be very slow. Grendel level slow. It's a bullet meant for 6,5x55.

I loaded them in creed, mostly because I thought they looked hilarious and my hunting shots at the time were 150 yds at most. I'd pick any other 123-145 gn bullet if I were being serious.

ETA: I maxed out at 38gn of H4350, loaded to 2.655 OAL. Targets actually look like I had some jacket shredding higher than that. Did not record speeds. YMMV.

GRT says 39gn BLC2, loaded at that OAL, would be pretty dang close to max, and would burn out in the first 10 inches of barrel.

Last edited:
I'm brand new to this forum and 6.5 reloading...lots of shotgun reloading and pistol.

Just wondering if I can reload 6.5 with the following on hand supplies, or if I need to make some purchases:
Federal GM205MAR primer (small rifle)
Hornady 160 gr RN
Hodgdon BL-C(2) powder (I've not researched yet, but anticipate approx 39 gr?)

thanks for any advice/help
The primers are fine though, I use the CCI equivalent in my loads.

thanks for therapies from everyone; sorry for my delay, but I've been on leave and not checking any of this stuff!