• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which stock for a Tactical style rifle

tjonh2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2007
ND
i am building a new rifle for shooting anywhere anytime. i will be useing this rifle for tactical matches. i am between the htg and mcmillan A5. i have both of these stocks now but i am wondering if you guys think there is an advantage to eather one at a match. i feel comfortable and confident with both in prone position but standing i prefer the htg. if it matters this is a 6x47l bartlein palma barrel with a badger m5 and schmit and bender. i will also shoot a suppressor at times.
thanks
toby

Re: which stock for a Tactical style rifle

another would be a A3-5 never tried but looks to be between both of them.

i vote either a3-5, or the new manners msct adjustable that is coming out. can't wait to see how this turns out, should be epic.

the t5a

if thats the one you are talking about. i have one on order but wont be done in time for some shoots i have comeing up. that was my origional plan but things are progressing faster than expected.

if manners whats to build mine t5a first i would be glad to wait a little longer!!! id even post pictures for them. hahahaha

yeah thats the fun of a post like this you get to see alot of opinions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i vote either a3-5, or the new manners msct adjustable that is coming out. can't wait to see how this turns out, should be epic. </div></div>

That be she....

A1-3 gets my vote...been dreaming on one for a few years and finally have one....and it is a great handeling stock, good ergo and still slim enough to pack anywhere.

having used a couple of the new <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A5 Fully Adjustable stocks,</span></span> I highly recommend them.

Seeing that these are selling for right around $400 and Stockystocks.com has them ready to ship plus the wait time is only as long as it takes UPS to deliver them, I'd just have to seriously consider one of these instead!

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-108/mcmillan-a5-stock-tactical/Detail

2094-97_22_23_30_19.jpg

I would choose the A5 over the HTG stock for tactical match use.

The HTG is great for a low mounted scope in general use. I use one on a 300WM M70 hunting rifle and love it.

The A series stocks tend to be better for the predominately prone shooting that happens at tactical matches.

Mike

I prefer the HTG over the A5. Cheek weld is an issue though, so I would recommend the adjustable HTG if you are opposed to building up a cheek piece with foam/tape or other means.

I have an A5 now but have used the HTG also. I prefer the A5 for 2 reasons.
First: I like the more "vertical" contour of the grip
Second: (and I believe this is an option on the HTG also) I prefer to have an adjustable cheek-rest.

all great reasons. i am between the the A5 and A3-5. as for getting a stock i have a place that has both in stock in my color with the right barrel and bottom metal so i just have to tell them which one to send.

I actually meant the msc-ta that they haven't even started the group buy on yet, but when they do I will be ordering one.

Between teh a5 and a3-5, i would definetly go for the a3-5, it combines the best of both worlds. I have both a3's and a5's and someday will have a a3-5, hey it might be after you buy one and deciede a few months later you want something different.LOL

thanks for the input i think im going to try the A3-5