• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which stock for AR308 ?

Warpspeed

Hopper King
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2006
SoCal
dramworx.com
Looking at my options for a 6.5 CM AR rifle and wondered what the general consensus is for buttstocks.

Upper will likely be a low DPMS version and glass, though hasn't been set in stone, will be something like a NF ATACR or Vortex Razor HD Gen II.

The Magpul seems to be popular. I've used the XLR on a chassis and liked it a lot. Any others that I should look at ? Do I even need anything that adjusts?

I would look at the UBR gen 2 and PRS stocks from MagPul.

For precision dedicated rigs, probably a magpul PRS is the cream of the crop. But a magpul STR and ACS/ACS-L would also suffice in my personal opinion. Those are definitely cheaper and lighter.

I have MagPuls PRS and Luth MBA-1 , the PRS are rock solid, but heavy. The Luth Stocks are much lighter, and have the same adjustable components, and a can be had for $120.

Me personally on large frame ar's the PRS is what you need, there are other options from MagPul but with the new Gen3 PRS you get complete adjustability, and a large platform to rest on your rear bags. I've also noticed the added weight helps balance the rifle out.

For me, the first thing I try to do is identify the POU of the rifle and then seek out the stock to match it.
Could you break down main use and then any other factors?

I would go ubr gen 2. The prs has the cheek adjustment, but you well not be able to use it. The cheek adjustment well hit your charging handle, if you move it up.

There you go I’m wrong. Didnt know they made two different ones. Then my buddy ordered the wrong one.

Last edited:
Currently the PRS is my preferred stock for a precision rig. I tend to use UBR's on battle rifle platforms. Had a the LuthAR but it doesn't have the rock-solid feel like the PRS so I got rid of it.

An interesting new possibility that I'm curious about is Seekins new ProComp 10x stock that seems to fill in right between the two above mentioned stocks.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/pro-composites/procomp-10x.html

They dont offer 2 different prs stocks anymore, but the gen 3 will clear a large frame charging handle. It will just touch on a raptor though due to the size difference of the handle.

I haven't ran into any, running one on my go to carbine, I just adjusted it so with the charging handle pulled all the way back there's still about a quarter inch between it and the cheek piece so I don't pinch myself (which I did and it hurts haha). From there just adjusting the butt plate in and out for desired lop, and comb height and it's solid. I love it

check out LUTH-AR stock also, got one on my 6.5 Creedmore and love it.

My 6.5CM AR has a PRS, my .308 AR has an ACS-L. The .308 is less about precision and more about portability, the 6.5 is the opposite.

Dave

I have MagPuls PRS and Luth MBA-1 , the PRS are rock solid, but heavy. The Luth Stocks are much lighter, and have the same adjustable components, and a can be had for $120.

Me personally on large frame ar's the PRS is what you need, there are other options from MagPul but with the new Gen3 PRS you get complete adjustability, and a large platform to rest on your rear bags. I've also noticed the added weight helps balance the rifle out.

+1

I started with a Luth-AR because I figured it was basically the same thing as the PRS, but a bit cheaper.

It was a good stock overall, but it felt a bit clunky and I didn't like the adjustments that much. Took too much fiddling to get it perfect.

I tried the PRS and didn't look back. Its quite a bit heavier, but its solid AF and the adjustment knobs let you fine tune on he fly.

If you're looking for something with a lot of adjustment AND very low weight, go with a Luth. Otherwise go with the PRS.

Ive never understood the appeal of the UBR. It's surely solid but only offer length of pull adjustment and is quite pricey. What am I missing?

I had three PRS stocks. One on my AR15 Grendel and on my two AR10's. They are nice and work well. Once I tried the XLR it worked real well for me. As I result I changed all my PRS's to XLR's. Again the only reason is they fit and worked better for me.

All my precision AR 10's wear the PRS stock. Early ones purchased wear the gen 1 later ones the gen 3.