• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Which to use hog hunting?

9sigman45

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
King, NC
I may have a chance to do a little hog hunting in SC next month. I'm not a big time "hunter", probably because I like to shoot alot.
smile.gif

To be honest, taking a hog isn't such a big deal to me, I'm mainly looking forward to spending some quality time with my buds and my son. It should make for a great three day weekend. Of the two weapons I'm considering, which would be the better choice for me to hunt with?

A) 26" Remington 700 SPS-V .223 1/12 with 55gr projectiles
B) 16" LMT Carbine .223 1/7 with 75-78gr projectiles

Both have optics, and I'm more than confident that I can make an ethical shot, provided I'm using the right projectile. I'm limiting myself to these two choices as I don't want to lug a 20" AR, FAL, M1 or M1A thru the SC swamps.

Thanks for your input.

Re: Which to use hog hunting?

Hogs have a big shoulder blade. If your worried about penetration, just wait for them to quarter away from you and put it behind the shoulder. Hog should drop in its tracks. A hogs organs are further forward than a deer. Both guns will work. Good Luck!

you don't want to lug a M1 but you'll lug a 26" Rem 700? Both your choices should do the job. I guess my main question would be what ranges do you think you'll be shooting at mostly and what platform? If you are hunting by stalking/walking then the AR15 is best. From a stand I'd pick the 700. My favorite target area is the right behing the ear. It will drop them instantly everytime.

My preference is to use the .223 for static hunting where I can make the ear shot. If I'm stalking and likely to shoot at pigs on the move I like the extra knock down of the .308.

If you have never hunted pigs before you may be surprised to find that most pigs rarely stop moving for more than a few seconds at a time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GBTX01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you don't want to lug a M1 but you'll lug a 26" Rem 700? </div></div>

Its not only the weight, but I value the others much more than the SPS and don't want to get any SC swamp mud on them ;>).

My main concern is with the bullet weight. Are 55s OK (with a well placed shot of course) or should I be using something in the 70s. The bullet weight will decide which rifle due to their very different twist.

Thanks again.

Bullet weight is not what determines performance on hogs, rather it is bullet construction. They are double-tough animals, so your bullet should be, too.

The Barnes TSX is what you will want for hogs if you use .223. Personally, I would take the AR-15, because you never know when you might need a follow up shot....or two or three. I fully agree with the poster who said that you will not always get a standing broadside shot. Much more often, they are fidgety or fighting with each other.

I would get some 70 grain Barnes TSX's. That bullet will penetrate all the way through most of the time, and you can still kill them, while moving, with this type of bullet.

Leave the Ballistic tips, FMJ's and soft-points at home.

Barnes - I was gonna take some with me when I went hog hunting butg somehow he lost my addy when he was sending free samples and I never got any...so I never used em but everyone else says they are the bullet to use to get through that grizzle and shoulder...

Thanks!!!

That's the kind of input I was looking for. I'll order some tonight and start working up a load. Any suggestions in that reguard?

Not sure if I would go with the 70g TSX, 53g make more sense to me in the .223. TSX are made to shoot fast and hold together to penetrate. I would shoot the 53g or 62g as fast as possible and get your knife out. The 70's would work, but at any distance I would worry a little about expansion. They are great bullets but thrive on velocity.

That is why I shoot 100g in .25-06 versus the 115g. In my testing in the bullet test tube and newspaper at 100/200/300 yards, the 100g penetrated as well and mostly farther due to increased velocity.

Shoot the 53g fast and be happy. If the AR, I would load the 53g TSX or 75g Swift Scirocco II.

Feral hogs are not as tough as many would have you believe. They do have a thick shoulder to penetrate though, but if you place a shot behind the shoulder or to the head, either rifle/ammo choice should work fine. I have killed several with .22LR and many many with 22-250 with 55gr soft points.

Out of curiosity, where in SC are you going hog hunting? I've seen some good results in and around Anderson.

If you are hunting hogs in swamps in SC, then you are probably coming to the lowcountry. The advise already given is very good. The 16" barrel with heavy bullets is just the ticket. I really don't find hogs hard to kill, but I just may be lucky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of curiosity, where in SC are you going hog hunting? I've seen some good results in and around Anderson. </div></div>

Just SW of Santee Cooper (lake Moultrie or Marion, which ever is the south lake?). We have a vendor who also owns an outfitter/lodge. He has offered its use to us many times, and we may finally get to take him up on the offer.

I use my AR15 with that cheap junk monarch 62gr stuff and have no problems, I did loose a 60LB hog last month but it was getting dark and it was super thick brush. Found him the next morn.I mostly do head shots with the AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if I would go with the 70g TSX, 53g make more sense to me in the .223. TSX are made to shoot fast and hold together to penetrate. I would shoot the 53g or 62g as fast as possible and get your knife out. The 70's would work, but at any distance I would worry a little about expansion. They are great bullets but thrive on velocity.

That is why I shoot 100g in .25-06 versus the 115g. In my testing in the bullet test tube and newspaper at 100/200/300 yards, the 100g

Shoot the 53g fast and be happy. If the AR, I would load the 53g TSX or 75g Swift Scirocco II.

</div></div>\

kyreloader has a really good point here. I know you didn't ask about 6,8 SPC, but I just want to mention it to give you an example of what he's saying. 6.8 X 43 with the 85 TSX is all I use for hogs now, since I have lost so many with .223 / 5.56. I know, I know, "youz can kill 'dem bitches wif' a .22..." Yada, yada. I kill hundreds of these things per year, and I can assure you that they don't always stand there motionless with the head still, posing for you to shoot them in the ear. Moreover, even when you hit them "behind the shoulder" all you are doing is shooting them in the liver. Look at some hog anatomy charts and you will see what I mean.

Back, to my point: In the 6.8, I use the 85 grain Barnes TSX, almost exclusively, for hogs. Why? This is the lightest bullet available for 6.8, so why use the lightest? I completely agree that these bullets thrive on velocity. The faster they go, the better they kill and when they fall below about 2000 FPS, they completely lose their mojo, and start to perform like a FMJ. That doesn't work worth a crap on 200-300 pound animals that can potentially kill you. All of my testing ( including on deer) tells me that the 85 performs even better than the 110 .277 TSX....because of the high velocity achieved in 6.8's even with barrels as short as 12".

So, if you are stuck with the lowly 5.56 mm, then compromise on the bullet weight and get them up over 2700 FPS. If you happen to use a short barrel AR, then you are further compromising the very inefficient .223. The 70 grain TSX might be great in a 20 inch barrel, but if you have a 16" , I believe I would also use the 53 grainer and try to hit 3000 FPS. These bullets will open up over 2100 FPS, but really seem to posses sledgehammer like killing power at 3000.

Then, if you want to recover the animal, shoot them in the NECK, NOT BEHIND THE SHOULDER. The anatomy chart will show you why.

Choice B. The heavier bullet will work better with the thicker hide of a hog.

No such thing as an ethical shot on pigs.

I'd choose B.

Choice B.......especially in the low country, although A makes for more surface area if you're trying to pry yourself out of the mud:) The heavier bullet and more carry friendly rifle match up well for the pigs.......good luck